Thread: Netanyahu picks ex-general Yaalon as new Israeli defense chief

Suspended for infractions
    Infinite point of chaos, in silent contemplation

Default Netanyahu picks ex-general Yaalon as new Israeli defense chief

(*******) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday chose Moshe Yaalon, an ex-general and vice premier from his right-wing Likud party, to be Israel's next defense minister, a government official said.
    Yaalon, 62, spent the past four years in Netanyahu's inner circle of ministers, routinely boosting the rightist prime minister and his strategic outlook.

He shares the prime minister's distrust of the Palestinians, but in the past, officials say, he has taken a more cautious line about the timing for a possible Israeli strike on Iranian nuclear sites.

Yaalon served as armed forces chief from 2002 until 2005, when his term was not extended after he opposed Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza ***** that year.
    More at: http://www.*******.com/article/2013/...+World+News%29

Buenos Aires in body, the beautiful and green Sharon in my heart

A Nahalawi

He came to talk to us once, during an operation in Rammallah, when he was still Mofaz's second in command. I found him to be very monotonous and uncharismatic.

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

I spent some time with him when he was being a kibbutznik at Gerofit (barely). He's a very intelligent man with a rarely displayed sense of humor; he was never "one of the guys". He's very deliberate in thought and speech, kind of like Rabin, but less emotional (you realize that's a difficult accomplishment.) At the time, he reminded me of Chaim Bar-Lev, just because of his delivery.

I had the opportunity to have a private dinner with him about a year and a half ago. He seemed like a really nice guy who truly cared about every soldier in the army and viewed us as human beings, not pawns who he would have a problem to send off to die.

Best of luck to Bogie, always glad to see a Nahlawie in charge.

I remember Bogie speaking against 'Shalit deal'.

About Iran:

Strategic affairs minister says spring 2013 is still ‘red line’ to halt Tehran’s nuclear weapons development
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/yaalon-...-top-priority/

My impression of him is dull, cold, and uncharismatic but nonetheless intelligent and capable. The most qualified MK in the current coalition for the job imo. IDF needs a political leadership that will let it win its wars though, and I'm afraid it still doesn't have that.