Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israel Magav - Yamas Weapons & Gear - Need to know what's currently in use...

Default Israel Magav - Yamas Weapons & Gear - Need to know what's currently in use...

Hi all,

I'm putting together a short story based on a team of Yamas undercover operatives. I'll be setting it in Israel for authenticity. But what I'm struggling with at the moment is finding out what weapons they currently use. I've seen Chris Ryan's Elite Police DVD - in particular the episode on the Yamas. He mentioned the Colt M4 Commando Rifle, but since viewing over videos, the M16 rifle is mentioned, but just for training?

Also, what pistol do they prefer to use, is it a Glock or something different entirely? Just trying to get these details right, don't want anyone telling me (if they read it) later that I got my weapons wrong!

Thanks,
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian1980 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm putting together a short story based on a team of Yamas undercover operatives. I'll be setting it in Israel for authenticity. But what I'm struggling with at the moment is finding out what weapons they currently use. I've seen Chris Ryan's Elite Police DVD - in particular the episode on the Yamas. He mentioned the Colt M4 Commando Rifle, but since viewing over videos, the M16 rifle is mentioned, but just for training?

Also, what pistol do they prefer to use, is it a Glock or something different entirely? Just trying to get these details right, don't want anyone telling me (if they read it) later that I got my weapons wrong!

Thanks,
    Adrian
    Definitely not an expert on the matter, but from what I know they use Colt commando type weapons (from the pictures I've seen, the non-flattop version). The issue is that there are so many different versions of the m16/car 15/m4 in the IDF it's hard to say sometimes. The issue is compounded by the Israeli terminology.
    Israelis call any AR15 an M16.
    If it's a carbine like the CAR15, it's called a "short M16" ("em shesh esreh mekutzar", or just "mekutzar" - short for "short" lol).
    If it's a Colt commando with the permanent carry handle it's a "really short M16" ("em shesh esreh mekutzrar" or "mekutzrar" - short for "really short"). These can be actual older Colt Commandos, or M16s or CAR15s that have had the barrels shortened, although generally if the barrel has been shortened and it's still CAR-15 length but not Commando length it's called "em shesh esreh menusar" or "menusar" - short for "sawn down" or "sawed off".
    M4s are called "flattops".
    Colt Commando flat top guns are called "flattop commandos".

Good luck with the book lol

That being said, they probably have many different guns lol.

Edit: Just watched that chris ryan video, looks like they've got flattop commandos, fixed carry handle commandos, and m4s...

Thanks for your help - though I'm a little more confused now lol - But I get what you're saying, I'm just going to have to try and pin it down a little more. Out of interest, through my research, I have encountered this site a number of times lately (http://www.isayeret.com/) - looks like it will give me a lot of relevant info, but I have to sign up to a monthly subscription. So I think I'll "bite the bullet" (an intentional pun) and give that a go too...

Thanks for your help - though I'm a little more confused now lol - But I get what you're saying, I'm just going to have to try and pin it down a little more. Out of interest, through my research, I have encountered this site a number of times lately (http://www.isayeret.com/) - looks like it will give me a lot of relevant info, but I have to sign up to a monthly subscription. So I think I'll "bite the bullet" (an intentional pun) and give that a go too...
    Yeah I figured you'd be confused...
    I've been to isayeret a long time ago before I joined the IDF, back in the day when it used to be free. It was decent back then, not sure what it's like now or if they would have the kind of detailed information you're looking for. One of the points I was trying to get across with the terminology is that the exact model of the gun is irrelevant/a non issue in israel. Israelis are not as gear obsessed as north Americans are. Most probably could not tell you if what they had is a CAR15 or a sawn down M16, or some other hybrid. When I went for reserves earlier this year, I wanted to make sure I got an actual CAR15 and not a sawn down M16 because of the messed ballistics from cutting the barrel short. That being said, the guy handing out the rifles didn't know the difference so I went through the rack myself (unfortunately there were none left :P). If they had an M16, they probably could not tell you if it was an M16A1, A2, A3, or A4, nor would they really care. Same with the Colt commandos. Is it actually a legit one? Is it an M16A1 or CAR15 that's been shortened? Most don't care.
    That being said, a unit of that calibre would probably stray away from the sawn down guns because of the affected ballistics. Maybe you can get some super gun expert to analyse that Chris Ryan Video if you care that much about the extreme accuracy, but to most Israelis it doesn't matter. Call it a mekutzrar or a commando, and Israelis know it's a commando length AR15 or slightly shorter. Call it mekutzar, it's a CAR15/CAR15 length. Menusar is sawn down to CAR15 length. Aroch ("long") is a normal M16(a1). You'll see M16A3s amongst reservists and those are called "A3"s. Just as an fyi, The TAR21 is likewise referred to as the "Tavor" and never as a TAR-21, and the x95 micro tavor is called a "micro". If the gun didn't have x95 in big letters on the side of the gun, no one would know that was it's official name.

Just browsed through isayeret, looks like it would be a big benefit to you. Very detailed gear descriptions for the non-israeli crowd

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCrow View Post
    Definitely not an expert on the matter, but from what I know they use Colt commando type weapons (from the pictures I've seen, the non-flattop version). The issue is that there are so many different versions of the m16/car 15/m4 in the IDF it's hard to say sometimes. The issue is compounded by the Israeli terminology.
    Israelis call any AR15 an M16.
    If it's a carbine like the CAR15, it's called a "short M16" ("em shesh esreh mekutzar", or just "mekutzar" - short for "short" lol).
    If it's a Colt commando with the permanent carry handle it's a "really short M16" ("em shesh esreh mekutzrar" or "mekutzrar" - short for "really short"). These can be actual older Colt Commandos, or M16s or CAR15s that have had the barrels shortened, although generally if the barrel has been shortened and it's still CAR-15 length but not Commando length it's called "em shesh esreh menusar" or "menusar" - short for "sawn down" or "sawed off".
    M4s are called "flattops".
    Colt Commando flat top guns are called "flattop commandos".

Good luck with the book lol
    Oh, never had this sort of mess with the Galil. It was either a Galil or Glilion, and life was simple and good ...

Just browsed through isayeret, looks like it would be a big benefit to you. Very detailed gear descriptions for the non-israeli crowd
    Is it weird that YASAM is not listed? or is it not considered a sayeret?

Quote Originally Posted by Pakal A3 View Post
    Is it weird that YASAM is not listed? or is it not considered a sayeret?
    No, because you want YAMAS not YASAM
    YAMAS is the undercover unit unit, YASAM is the special patrol unit.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, thought it was the original author asking. I don't think they are considered a special unit... Could be wrong though. I like your screen name, glad I don't have that pakal. hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by GB_FXST View Post
    Oh, never had this sort of mess with the Galil. It was either a Galil or Glilion, and life was simple and good ...
    Still disappointed I never got to play with those!

But for Adrian, that's another example of how things are in Israel. The techincal names for the Galil models are the Galil SAR, AR, and ARM if I'm not mistaken, and in Israel they are the Galil, Glilon ("little Galil"), and Micro Galil I guess...

oups.. wrong thread...

EDIT: Oh, sorry, thought it was the original author asking. I don't think they are considered a special unit... Could be wrong though. I like your screen name, glad I don't have that pakal. hahahahaha
    I'm not sure if I've come across YASAM, I probably have, but then there's the unit called YAMAM as well? Anyway, before i start getting even more confused - they have too many different units dammit! Haha, I need to also figure out what handguns they prefer to use...

I'm not sure if I've come across YASAM, I probably have, but then there's the unit called YAMAM as well? Anyway, before i start getting even more confused - they have too many different units dammit! Haha, I need to also figure out what handguns they prefer to use...
    YAMAM is Israel's most elite police Counter Terror unit (Israeli SWAT).

handguns:Mainly Glock19C

Thanx, I liked the A3 except at nights when I had the Akila, though my mifaked seemed to think it was a light pakal so he made sure to add the radio or the water....