Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Risk of water wars rises with scarcity

The last water war was in 2500B.C. I say we're about due for another one soon, we should probably all start storing water balloons.

Also, this

Member The Blues Brother - Jake's Avatar
    I don't need to listen to no jive preacher.

Really wasn't Ad Hominum - just pointing out that the source was from a school that has a particular view of economics and the world. Take that for what you want. Kinda like trowing Ehrlich into the mix cause he lost a bet in an area he isn't known for excellence.

And anythime I get on the other side of you and USA+1911 on a discussion I kinda know the score. ; )
    It was fun none the less.

the Ralph Wiggum of Mp.net. timetraveller's Avatar

And some thought the kevin costner film " Waterworld " was shyte ...

Really wasn't Ad Hominum - just pointing out that the source was from a school that has a particular view of economics and the world. Take that for what you want.
    Right. That happens to be the definition of ad homiem.

Member The Blues Brother - Jake's Avatar
    I don't need to listen to no jive preacher.

ad hominem (æd ˈhɒmɪˌnɛm)

— adj , — adv

1. directed against a person rather than against his arguments

2. based on or appealing to emotion rather than reason

[literally: to the man]
    No - I wasn't attacking the person but the school that informed his opinions. The fellow may be quite a nice dude, but coming from The Chicago School influences ones world view. I don't share his or your world view on this issue. I didn't go to the Chicago School.

And if bringing up that he went to a particular school"appeals to emotion" for you that that is on you. I attach no emotional value to the Chicago School but that one studied there can affect one's reason and perspective.

Not Ad Hominum. Just a fact of his schooling. Not emotional just factual. Unless you get emotional over pointing out that he went to the Chicago School. That is you, not me.

Quality Day here. How is your day?

Missed this thread until Jake said something. Following content relevant:

Quote Originally Posted by AIG View Post
    Probably one of the stupidest "scare stories" out there. Don't get me wrong, there are far stupider scare stories than "we're gonna run out of water!"...According to the predictions of the "experts" (like Paul Ehrlich) we should have run out of almost everything useful by now (go read his similar BS predictions from the 1980s). And yet here we are, with more available resources of almost every natural resource than we had in the past. Strange that (not really).

But hey, these people have "predicting" doom and gloom and running out of water now for a few decades. Yet it never seems to happen. But, I guess it doesn't hurt trying to move the new doomsday clock out to 2030. By the next decade, it will be out to 2050.

Now of course, water shortage in an individual geographical area, can be a problem. But it is only a problem if you are underdeveloped economically. There's a solution for that (not that the UN or Hillary or Al-Jazeera are particularly interested in pushing a solution to that).
    Are we underdeveloped economically?

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...war-over-water

It's a very real problem here over the last decade. Water rationing has become the norm rather than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by NanT View Post
    The last water war was in 2500B.C. I say we're about due for another one soon, we should probably all start storing water balloons.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-state_water_dispute

^more commonly known as the water wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    It's a very real problem here over the last decade. Water rationing has become the norm rather than the exception.
    Atlanta straining local resources and going gimmie-gimmie-gimmie to neighboring regions/states and using their political muscle to cause a big stink is the issue. The reality is ATL wouldn't have a problem if they took even modest conservation measures. Even-odd watering of the lawns is only the beginning. Think Phoenix and Vegas.

You guys are as complacent as the Californians. Sheesh.

who said that there has never being signs of future water war?
    [*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]In addition to previous [/FONT][/COLOR]Soviet[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif] funding and arms support to Somalia, [/FONT][/COLOR]Egypt[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif] sent millions of dollars in arms to Somalia, established military training and sent experts to Somalia in support of Egypt's longstanding policy of securing the[/FONT][/COLOR]Nile River[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif] flow by destabilising Ethiopia.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethio-Somali_War

Quote Originally Posted by Chiptox View Post
    Atlanta straining local resources and going gimmie-gimmie-gimmie to neighboring regions/states and using their political muscle to cause a big stink is the issue. The reality is ATL wouldn't have a problem if they took even modest conservation measures. Even-odd watering of the lawns is only the beginning. Think Phoenix and Vegas.

You guys are as complacent as the Californians. Sheesh.
    Atlanta isn't really the problem, as much as I'd like to blame them. It's the surrounding counties in the metro area: the suburbs. There's only about 600,000 or so people in the City of Atlanta, but there's about 6 million + in the metro-Atlanta area.

Down in the southern part of the state the farmers have been hit real hard over the past ~6 years or so due to the drought. Some of the worst parts of the drought have been down south of Macon.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-state_water_dispute

^more commonly known as the water wars.
    I meant genuine war, not a hissy fit.

Well apparently Water Wars can go nuclear according to the Chief Coordinator of the World Water Assembly.

Indian water terrorism may spark nuclear clash: Dahar

MULTAN - World Water Assembly (WWA) Chief Coordinator Hafiz Zahoorul Hassan Dahar has warned that Pakistan is about to become barren because of water terrorism of India, hurling a warning that Indian water aggression is pushing the sub-continent towards a horrible nuclear clash.

Talking to The Nation here on Friday, he added that India had waged water war against Pakistan by blocking the water of rivers like Chenab, Jehlum, Indus and their tributaries coming to Kargil from occupied Kashmir. “It is obvious that the third world war will take place on water. The only way to stop this war is to restrict India from constructing dams on Pakistani rivers and blocking their water,” he suggested. He said that India would drop water bomb on Pakistan in terms of drought and famine after the completion of its dam construction projects. He said that it was a big challenge for 180 million Pakistanis to stop India from constructing dams on Pakistani rivers.
    http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-ne...ar-clash-dahar