Thread: Vietnam War: Long Range Recon Patrol

Default Vietnam War: Long Range Recon Patrol

I just watched this great documentary a couple of days ago. Very informative and interesting to watch. Does anybody know if there are regular U.S. Army units today that provide long range reconaissance for conventional forces like the LRRPs did or like the German Fallschirmspezialzüge are supposed to do ?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBär View Post
    I just watched this great documentary a couple of days ago. Very informative and interesting to watch. Does anybody know if there are regular U.S. Army units today that provide long range reconaissance for conventional forces like the LRRPs did or like the German Fallschirmspezialzüge are supposed to do ?
    U.S. Army had Long Range Surveillance Detachments (LRSD) until a few years ago, I don't know what's happening now.

There are still Long Range Surveillance units in both the regular Army and Army National Guard, but in their wisdom the Army disbanded many of them (along with most of their Pathfinder units as well) right after 9/11, believing that electronics and drones would replace them. Low and behold, they found that they still needed a man on the ground, and now they're having to rebuild that capability.

I was going to repost this. Great documentary.

I really respected these guys. We would, in 1968 VN, go up the western approaches to the Valley in column (ACAVs, 7ea only) to pick up returning patrols. Usually, only four guys. They were always really quiet, never even saying hello. Most guys getting a ride after a thirty K hike through "Injun" country would be all smiles and slapping people on the back in glee. Not these guys. They would just suddenly appear out of the bush, at the rendezvous point, stand still, making sure they had been ID’d as friendly and then smartly walk over, mount up and we would just a smartly shag a55 back to safe country. I loved those missions in spite of the creepy danger of them- all the huge trees along the trail had been defoliated, giving the jungle a kind of death zone appearance. The reason I liked them is the LRRPs would always drop their surplus rations- all super delicious freeze dried meals- as a thanks for the ride. They were different kind of people, for sure. They seemed ‘mature’ I guess is the best word I can think of to describe them. No joking, no talking, no smiles, no kicking back- eyes out, weapons relaxed, but definitely ready for anything all business all the time. They had my deepest respect.

I had to opportunity to speak with a couple of different guys who served in LRP/LRRP/Ranger units in Vietnam. Some hard old dudes to say the least. Very humble guys.

My grandfather was a LRRP who was later Rangered. He was Team Leader of LRRP team Red Dog, hence my username. He said that they used all kinds of weapons, especially loving enemy AKs for their durability.