Thread: DC-3 replacements (that didn't)

Default DC-3 replacements (that didn't)

Since we had "wastful axed aircraft", here's a category of aircraft attempting perhaps the most futile thing ever:
    Replacing the venerable DC-3/C-47.
    Since all those war surplus Douglas aircraft had to be replaced eventually, DC-3 replacements popped up with astounding regularity from about 1950 to about 1970.
    While some of those were commercial successes, most were dismal failures and none actually did replace the DC-3
    These were most notably the Convair 240 (over 1000), the Fokker F-27 (500) and the Ilyushin Il-14 (1300)
    But all these planes put together could not replace the DC-3

Obscure ones:
    Aviation Traders Limited Accountant (1957)
    One built, scrapped after 2 years

Saab 90 Scania (1950), 18 built

Casa C-202 Halcon, 20 built, 1953 (strictly speaking a Ju-52 replacement but CASA had hopes for international buyers)

PZL MD-12, (1959), 3 built

Handley-Page Herald, (1955), 50 built

Nord 262, (1959) 110 built

Martin 2-0-2 (1947), 47 built. Had a disturbing tendency to lose wings

As recently as 2010 I saw what appeared to be a DC-3 operating in Afghanistan (Kabul). It had turbo props instead of the old radial engines, and I believe it was operated by the U.S. State Department.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    As recently as 2010 I saw what appeared to be a DC-3 operating in Afghanistan (Kabul). It had turbo props instead of the old radial engines, and I believe it was operated by the U.S. State Department.
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/milesq...north-america/

I know of one aircraft that did replace the DC-3 successfully post war and that was an even older aircraft the Junkers Trimotor. A few late war Ju 52/3s, ex Luftwaffe were acquired via Sweden by an Gibbes Sepik Airways in the mid 50s and fitted with Pratt & Whitney Wasps from CAC Wirraways in place of their original engines. The Junkers replaced DC-3s on flights around New Guinea and into the Highlands where their greater strength and the reliability of three vs two Pratts made a big difference.

I saw a DC-3 with turboprops flying over Kandahar. also in 2010

Basler is offering turbo conversions of the DC3 called BT67

http://www.baslerturbo.com/

You can find a few image of the aircraft here: http://theaviationist.com/2012/10/05/dos-dc3/

**** was a great Aircraft and nothing quite remarkable has ever made to replaced her, Love her story on the mission over Indo-Burma-China theater.

CASA never tried to export neither the 201 or the 202, mainly because they never could get enough engines, also because the surplus C-47īs in the market were at quite good prices and those projects allowed to keep an industry alive in Spain, just that.

The CASA C-212 Aviocar can be considered one of the DC-3/C-47 replacements. It was developed to replace Spanish Air Force's C-47s (and Junkers Ju-52s) and, although smaller than the Dak, can carry a similar payload.

Nearly 600 examples built since 1971 and still in production.

Quote Originally Posted by -Max2- View Post
    The CASA C-212 Aviocar can be considered one of the DC-3/C-47 replacements. It was developed to replace Spanish Air Force's C-47s (and Junkers Ju-52s) and, although smaller than the Dak, can carry a similar payload.
    Nearly 600 examples built since 1971 and still in production.

That + the CN-235, just take a look at its long list of users.

The U.S. Forest Service still uses a turbo-propped DC-3 for the Smokejumpers in Montana.

You could probably argue that the C-119 and C-123 replaced the C-47 in the USAF tactical transport role.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyefx View Post
    The U.S. Forest Service still uses a turbo-propped DC-3 for the Smokejumpers in Montana.
    Aerial firefighting contractors use lots of crazy obsolete old warplanes. Flying Boxcars, Neptunes, Orions, Trackers, Catalina/Cansos, Dakotas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EvMaLo View Post
    I saw a DC-3 with turboprops flying over Kandahar. also in 2010
    I know the one you are talking about. I always see it flying into Kabul. I can't remember seeing any marking or US registration numbers on her, and always seemed to taxi to "that area" of KAIA.