Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local law enforcement face ammo shortage as gun owners, DHS stock up

Default Local law enforcement face ammo shortage as gun owners, DHS stock up

Local law enforcement agencies across the country are facing an ammo shortage, as gun owners concerned about new laws at the federal and state level stock up on firearms and bullets.

At the same time, the Department of Homeland Security has said it wants to buy more than 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition in the next four or five years -- which could put further strain on the supply.

The shortage, coupled with an increase in prices, comes as many gun owners head to the stores in anticipation of new gun control laws. States like Colorado and New York have already approved such legislation, while Democrats move toward bringing a bill to the Senate floor. At the moment, the congressional bill does not include an assault-weapons ban, but a ban is expected to be floated as an amendment.

Still, what one official described as "panic-buying" set in, as lawmakers rallied to draft new legislation in the wake of a series of tragic mass shootings last year, from Aurora, Colo., to Oak Creek, Wis., to Newtown, Conn.In Tennessee's Hamilton County, the sheriff's department says its officers will be given fewer bullets when they train at the range.

"The concern over firearms availability and ammunition availability and potentials of gun control certainly has impacted the availability of ammunition purchased locally," training coordinator Jody Mays said, according to WDEF.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...dhs-stocks-up/

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

It's very frustrating not being able to practice as much as I'd like what with prices as high as they are..........

This is a repost though isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/25tvsjr.jpg[/IMG]

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

"facing, it wants to buy, next four or five years, could put further strain, a ban is expected to be floated, The concern over firearms availability and ammunition availability and potentials of gun control certainly has impacted the availability of ammunition purchased locally..."

Sounds like a lot of speculation and douchebaggery...

Keep flogging a *****ing non story...

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    "facing, it wants to buy, next four or five years, could put further strain, a ban is expected to be floated, The concern over firearms availability and ammunition availability and potentials of gun control certainly has impacted the availability of ammunition purchased locally..."

Exactly. I´m no Law Enforcement Officer or something but I imagine that this won´t be as dramatic as some like to see it.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

I keep thinking that prices and availability on ammo and certain types of guns will come back down. They as yet have not, and this has been going on since Obama's first campaign. I am afraid it will continue until Obama leaves office, and longer if we get another anti-gun prez from either party.

I've got more than 7000 rounds of 5.56/.223. I bought all of it in 2009 when the first hysteria about Obama died away.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I've got more than 7000 rounds of 5.56/.223. I bought all of it in 2009 when the first hysteria about Obama died away.
    Availability of ammo improved at that point, but the prices sure did not come down. I always assumed that the market would reach saturation sooner or later and prices would finally drop. I no longer make that assumption.

I never bought more than a couple of hundred rounds at a time before Barry became President.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Do you feel prepared for zombie apocalypse now

Now serious, do local law enforcments buy their ammo in the same places as gun owners... I thought they way of buying ammo will be different than citizen Joe...

Quote Originally Posted by Holycrusader View Post
    Do you feel prepared for zombie apocalypse now

Now serious, do local law enforcments buy their ammo in the same places as gun owners... I thought they way of buying ammo will be different than citizen Joe...

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][*******#000000]Having just retired from Law Enforcement I can tell you that we purchased our ammo from the same wholesalers as the shops do, the only difference was that the price was governed by a bid process and we purchased our ammo at the manufacturer’s State bid price which sometimes was cheaper than the wholesaler could buy it for.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][*******#000000]Please keep in mind that although the police rifle program concept is about 25-30 years old, it wasn’t until 9-11 that most State, County and municipal police departments either allowed the purchase of privately owned ARs or issued ARs to their officers. The initial training, and the yearly qualifications do amount to a fair amount of 5.56/223 ammo just for national consumption. Add all of the Federal Agencies to that and you are supplying another small army.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][*******#000000]The part about the departments bartering for ammo is correct, at least at the agency I just retired from, and this has been going on for a while now. Police agencies that were allowed to purchase large amounts of ammo in order to get better prices in the past, kept the other agencies going until they got their ammo allotment and they repay with fresh ammo.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by wwjs View Post
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/25tvsjr.jpg[/IMG]
    I find these sarcastic "thanks Obama" memes to be pretty retarded, seeing as how Obama blames EVERYONE for his problems but himself. Mostly Bush. The man is still blaming Bush 6 years in to his presidency!

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penetrada View Post
    I find these sarcastic "thanks Obama" memes to be pretty retarded, seeing as how Obama blames EVERYONE for his problems but himself. Mostly Bush. The man is still blaming Bush 6 years in to his presidency!
    Especially since in this case he actually deserves every bit of blame pointed his way. If he'd STFU about guns we wouldn't be having this problem. Better yet, actually do his job and defend the Constitution. You'd think he'd be holding firearms up to show all the jobs he's created but unlike every other job created (imaginary or not) he hasn't said a word.

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post

While the whole DHS quadrillionbillionzillion round purchase is speculation and a load of horse-crap, basic microeconomics explains why the market is still affected by this. Speculation and more specifically, fear, is fueling a panicked rush to purchase ammunition, causing the prices to skyrocket due to a exponential growth in demand as well as suppliers creating artificial scarcity allowing the prices to sky-rocket. At this point, the only way I see ammunition prices coming back down is if in 2014 a pro-gun Congress is elected and makes it perfectly clear that there will be no anti-gun laws passed. Even then, it will take a significant time for the market to reach an equilibrium due to people stocking up in case this **** happens again.