Thread: Should the government tax your email? One California official thinks so.

Default Should the government tax your email? One California official thinks so.

[*******#000000][FONT=arial]Your property is taxed. Your income is taxed. Your investments are taxed. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]But ... your email?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]A California official is bringing new life to the argument that the Internet -- including emails -- is an untapped revenue resource that should be taxed to help local economies. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]Berkeley City Councilman Gordon Wozniak brought up taxing emails during a recent council meeting. He suggested the money collected, which would be part of a wider-reaching Internet tax, could be used in Berkeley's case to save the local post office. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]"There should be something like a bit tax," he said during the March 5 meeting. "I mean, a bit tax could be a cent per gigabit and they would make, probably, billions of dollars a year." [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]Plus, he said, there should be a "very tiny tax on email." [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]This idea goes beyond already-controversial proposals to tax e-commerce -- like buying used books on Amazon. This would be a tax on data. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]Wozniak told FoxNews.com the response to the idea has been varied. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]"Most people don't like the idea of taxing the Internet," he acknowledged. "There are a number of people who say it's a good idea, but some are saying it's impractical and there's no way to do it." [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]Chris Edwards, an economist with the libertarian-leaning Cato Institute, is one of those people. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]"It's a terrible idea," Edwards told FoxNews.com. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]"The government doesn't need any more tax money. That's not the problem. The American government is spending more than ever." [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]Plus, he said, a tax like this would hit "different types of industry in different ways." [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]Local governments can't legally impose a tax on the Internet -- but Wozniak's idea is not as new, or perhaps as far-fetched, as it sounds. Amid concerns that the government could one day turn to the Internet for a new-age funding stream, Congress in 1998 passed a law called the Internet Tax Freedom Act, which bans Internet taxation. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]That law is set to expire next November. If that happens, Wozniak's proposal could someday turn into a reality -- but the likelihood is slim. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2OlCXCW6Y[/FONT][/COLOR]

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

California. Of course. When will they try to tax the air you breathe?

"[FONT=Arial][*******#000000]He suggested the money collected, which would be part of a wider-reaching Internet tax, could be used in Berkeley's case to save the local post office. "

Holy $hit. If I tried I couldn't come up with a stupider idea than this. Hey, lets throw a tax on cars to enable us to save the buggy whip manufacturers. [/COLOR][/FONT]

I do not want to live in this state one minute longer than is absolutely necessary...

That being said, I highly doubt this will gain anything resembling the traction needed in order to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    What do you think the so called "carbon tax" is?
    And I think some dumbocrat, not in commiefornia was trying to impose it on bicyclists...

EDIT: Yeah here it is!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_2805658.html

Quote Originally Posted by PALADIN View Post
    I do not want to live in this state one minute longer than is absolutely necessary...
    you and me both....
    Last edited by sgt_G; 03-27-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: found link.....

I think you're all f*cked in the head. We're 10 hrs from the f*cking fun park & u want to bail out!

Quote Originally Posted by shermbodius View Post
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2OlCXCW6Y[/FONT][/COLOR]
    And they wonder why the state is in such financial straights.....they elect twits like this.

Unpopular Nonentertaining Member Abolith's Avatar
    Next to death valley... it's damn hot out here :(

my next job is going to be outside california... and i shall NEVER return... even to visist friends and family, they will have to come to me.

Fuggin tax, tax, tax away. Not like we aren't being taxed for everything else under the sun. Which I wouldn't be surprised if some ***** brain has already thought of doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post

"[FONT=Arial][*******#000000]He suggested the money collected, which would be part of a wider-reaching Internet tax, could be used in Berkeley's case to save the local post office. "

Holy $hit. If I tried I couldn't come up with a stupider idea than this. Hey, lets throw a tax on cars to enable us to save the buggy whip manufacturers. [/COLOR][/FONT]
    I am pretty sure the money goes to local official's pocket.
    http://blog.sfgate.com/matierandross...tampDescending

How about campaign donations?