Thread: Vietnam Weapons and Ordnance Identification Questions

Default Vietnam Weapons and Ordnance Identification Questions

I opened a thread because I have a number of these questions.

I attach a photo of something I saw in Phonsavan, Laos. My best theory so far is it's a Chinese version of a US recoiless rifle, but I wonder if anyone can confirm? Also, the second photo shows carrying cases - I'm assuming for RPG rounds or similar?

Many thanks,

Peter

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by Peter Lloyd; 03-27-2013 at 10:36 PM.

My guess is that is a 57mm recoilless rifle.

Blo*dy hell - I just went on Youtube and saw the firing of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amsIt3Unbvo

It also answered the question of what the perforated shell cases are which I see all over Laos.

While I'm on a roll, and getting in my apology early - I didn't think I'd be asking identification questions when I took the below photos, hence there's not much in them for scale.

These were found along the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Salavan Province, and are almost certainly VC or NVA-owned, and probably Chinese made. The UXO guys said the large ones were anti-tank rounds and the smaller ones were AA rounds. I have no reason to doubt him, but the big ones don't look like they would take out a tank to me.

The only scale in the photos are the leaves, twigs and the top of a guy's finger, unfortunately!

Thanks.

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval