Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. says it sent B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

Default U.S. says it sent B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea

[*******#000000][FONT=arial](CNN) -- The United States said Thursday it flew stealth bombers over South Korea to participate in annual military exercises amid spiking tensions with North Korea.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]The B-2 Spirit bombers flew more than 6,500 miles from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri to South Korea, dropping inert munitions there as part of the exercises, before returning to the U.S. mainland, the U.S Forces in Korea said in a statement.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]The mission by the planes, which can carry both conventional and nuclear weapons, "demonstrates the United States' ability to conduct long range, precision strikes quickly and at will," the statement said.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]The U.S. military's announcement earlier this month that it was flying B-52 bombers over South Korea to participate in the routine exercises prompted an angry reaction from the regime of Kim Jong Un, which has unleashed a ******* of threats in the past few weeks.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=arial]Analysis: What's Kim Jong Un up to?

There was no immediate reaction to the U.S. statement Thursday from the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency.

"The United States is steadfast in its alliance commitment to the defense of the Republic of Korea, to deterring aggression, and to ensuring peace and stability in the region," the statement said, using South Korea's official name. "The B-2 bomber is an important element of America's enduring and robust extended deterrence capability in the Asia-Pacific region."

The disclosure of the B-2 flights comes a day after North Korea said it was cutting a key military hotline with South Korea, provoking fresh expressions of concern from U.S. officials about Pyongyang's recent rhetoric. There are several hotlines between North and South Korea.

"North Korea is not a paper tiger so it wouldn't be smart to dismiss its provocative behavior as pure bluster," a U.S. official said Wednesday.

North Korea's threat: Five things to know
    U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel spoke by phone to his South Korean counterpart, Kim Kwan-jin, on Wednesday evening, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said, noting the "heightened tension on the Korean Peninsula."

U.S. officials concerned over North Korea's 'ratcheting up of rhetoric'
    The recent saber-rattling from Pyongyang has included threats of pre-emptive nuclear strikes against the United States and South Korea, as well as the declaration that the armistice that stopped the Korean War in 1953 is null and void.

On Tuesday, the North said it planned to place military units tasked with targeting U.S. bases under combat-ready status.

Most observers say North Korea is still years away from having the technology to deliver a nuclear warhead on a missile, but it does have plenty of conventional military firepower, including medium-range ballistic missiles that can carry high explosives for hundreds of miles.

Tensions escalated on the Korean Peninsula after the North carried out a long-range rocket launch in December and an underground nuclear test last month, prompting the U.N. Security Council to step up sanctions on the secretive regime.

Pyongyang has expressed fury over the sanctions and the annual U.S.-South Korean military exercises, which are due to continue until the end of April.

The North has claimed that the exercises are tantamount to threats of nuclear war against it.

Sharp increases in tensions on the Korean Peninsula have taken place during the drills in previous years. The last time the North cut off military communications with the South was during similar exercises in March 2009.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/28/wo...-us-b2-flights
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#0000ff]Have US considered the feelings of the North Koreans?[/COLOR]
    Last edited by vasenta; 03-28-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: grammer

Being covered here in the mega DPRK cage-rattling omnibus therad:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...y-truce/page37

Quote Originally Posted by vasenta View Post
    I think yes. They're all hungry, starving, and so numb because of psychological violence they believe anything "Dear Young Leader" tells them.

They definitevely need help getting rid of that big chubby kid.

It was the North Koreans starting to provoke the USA and South Korea in the first place. The exercise is a show of force - not a act of war. North Korea did cut the redline, South Korea did not. America is trying to stop a escalation happening by using sophisticated weapons as a force shower[strength].

We can only hope and prayed Kim don't play his cards too far. The USA is a world power and even if North Korea do have nuclear missiles, it can very easily escalate into a far bigger scenario nobody wants.

Apparently, yes.

If feelings mean energy and food supplies then yeah, I guess they did.

Interesting show of force from the US, but caution is advised since NK may be a "wounded animal" that only real problem is having nukes in the ****nal, but is no laughing matter or a subject to take ligthly, as "an animal" its dangerous to corner it against a wall, with more UN sanctions and the way that regime is hanging by a tread can very easily show its theets and start a war to go down in flames, with unfurseen consequences to all in the region and beyond since nuclear weapons are no picnic, thousands can die and fallout from that can affect all around...

Not to mention the soldiers and civilian on both sides that will perish cause of this backwater country with medieval ways to do stuff, that is "fanatic land", it can stir up sentimens of non-US in the all region that can bring long term problems.

In my view this subject should had been delt with long ago, that puppet regime should had fallen already or been removed by the US and South Korea by force.
    I dispise all regimes and places that do what they are doing in NK, but also dont take lightly that a country whatever it is sends ppl to die in a war.

I just hope, in the long term, we dont look back and mourne the deaths of many cause of the fact this subject wasnt taken care in due time.

Why is this sophisticated Radar Antenna to my left not picking up the Iperialist B-2 Bombers ????
    I'm gonna be pizzed if Rodman was playing with these switches while he was here.

I don't see the cursor. Someone move the trackball mouse for me....

Yes, that's exactly why they sent B2's.

There are even images of it !

A US B-2 stealth bomber (R) flies over a US air base in Pyeongtaek, south of Seoul as part of South Korea-US joint military exercise. Two nuclear-capable US B-2 stealth bombers flew what the US military described as “deterrence” missions over South Korea on March 28, in a move sure to further inflame tensions with North Korea.
    U.S. Air Force B-2 stealth bomber flies over near Osan U.S. Air Base in Pyeongtaek, south of Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, March 28, 2013. A day after shutting down a key military hotline, Pyongyang instead used indirect communications with Seoul to allow South Koreans to cross the heavily armed border and work at a factory complex that is the last major symbol of inter-Korean cooperation. (AP Photo/Shin Young-keun, Yonhap)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/vpysdc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/av65qg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/347y53n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/2db0aqr.jpg[/IMG]
    Posted by hogdriver here: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...64#post6640964

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    Why is this sophisticated Radar Antenna to my left not picking up the Iperialist B-2 Bombers ????
    I'm gonna be pizzed if Rodman was playing with these switches while he was here.

I don't see the cursor. Someone move the trackball mouse for me....

"Where you put quarter?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric79 View Post
    It was the North Koreans starting to provoke the USA and South Korea in the first place. The exercise is a show of force - not a act of war. North Korea did cut the redline, South Korea did not. America is trying to stop a escalation happening by using sophisticated weapons as a force shower[strength].
    You must really be naive to regard a large scale military maneuver near the border of a hostile country as "not provocative" and simply a "show of force". It is the same as calling "Able Archer 83" a simple and "harmless" show of force with "no provocations intended". Yet we all know how close that led us to a shooting war.
    So yes, the US should stop poking NK and offer China some concessions to force their proxy NK to do the same.

China had plenty of time to deal with the situation, but they obviously failed miserably in doing something significant. For Christ's sake, they are sitting that close to North Korea and they still can't do a single helpful thing with their status as NK's ally?

For the record, NK has got away with murder several times in the past, but play time is now over. As much as Milosevic stirred **** in the Balkans in the entire 1990s decade and forced the US/NATO to intervene once and for all against him for the sake of a lasting peace in Europe, it's time the little fatso pays the price for his and his father's ****-stirring antics.

Damn those F-16s were loaded for bear. 5 x AMRAAM and only one 9X.