Thread: The Surprising Political Economy of Defense Spending

Default The Surprising Political Economy of Defense Spending

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...astically.html

Never mind the source, but if true completely changed my mind on the whole Democrat/Republican relation to Defense Spending. Sort of makes sense, if true. I will have to research Al Gore/John Kerry proposals.

How did it change your mind?

And here we are in 2013 with Barack Obama proposing to increase spending on (among other things) the military and pay for it with higher taxes on the rich.

A raging feminist's trauma haunts me to this day

Quote Originally Posted by JJHH View Post
    How did it change your mind?
    I think what he means is that until he read that article he (and most people probably) assumed that the "[*******#333333]Democrat/Republican relation to Defense Spending" was "democrats want to cut the military, republicans want to boost defense spending". [/COLOR]

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
    I think what he means is that until he read that article he (and most people probably) assumed that the "[*******#333333]Democrat/Republican relation to Defense Spending" was "democrats want to cut the military, republicans want to boost defense spending". [/COLOR]
    In general, that is correct. The Democrats earned that reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...astically.html

Never mind the source, but if true completely changed my mind on the whole Democrat/Republican relation to Defense Spending. Sort of makes sense, if true. I will have to research Al Gore/John Kerry proposals.
    The biggest reforms here in social security and labor markets were done by a social-democrats/green coalition. They also send the first combat troops to Afghanistan.
    There is a large portion of Realpolitik behind the usual stupid show run by political party strategists.

My theory is that the topics of the opposition can be done much faster. If a center-left government want to implement reforms that are normally seen as a conservative issue, the opposition is forced to vote for it. Otherwise it would loose any credibility.
    Even if the center-left government hasn't enough supporters within it's own lines, it's mostly a clear majority in the parliament.

The Republicans accepted the defence cuts. My guess is that we will see a major austerity program at the end of Obamas term. If he do it, he must do it at the end to keep the support of his party.