Thread: Turkey to buy and co-develop T-Loramids SAM

Default Turkey to buy and co-develop T-Loramids SAM

[SIZE=4]Turkey to buy [SIZE=4]and[/SIZE] co-develop T-Loramids SAM[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]By Lale Sariibrahimoglu[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]3/25/2013[/SIZE]

Turkey has largely finalised the acquisition model for its T-Loramids surface-to-air missile (SAM) programme after confusion over whether it had abandoned a direct purchase of systems, including offset commitments by the bidding companies. The country is now planning to acquire 12 missile firing units, as stated in the previous tender, while also requiring the bidders to simultaneously pitch a co-development model for a more advanced SAM, Turkish and Western defence industry sources in Ankara told IHS Jane's .

"Bidding companies made a co-development suggestion contained in three or more pages. This suggestion will influence the selection of the missile system. From a design standpoint no research and development (R&D) work can be done on the co-development of a more advanced missile," argued a Western source.

To the surprise of many, a long-awaited decision on the purchase of the missile systems at an estimated cost of over USD4 billion was not made during a meeting of the Executive Committee (EC) of the Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) on 3 January.

---
    http://www.janes.com/products/janes/...hannel=defence

Smart move, this perhaps even might open up the doors for non-Western bidders such as China and Russia who previously nominated already existing systems in - what I believe - was by Turkey's wish in order to create greater competitiveness in prices between the other - "more plausible" - Western bidders. This is because a system following this acquisition model would/could be considered Turkish/Western enough to satisfy NATO. What do you guys think?

My personal idea offer of EUROSAM pretty good,i guess joint projects will be great for our defense industry too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulytau View Post
    My personal idea offer of EUROSAM pretty good,i guess joint projects will be great for our defense industry too.
    Of course, I forgot to mention that. It might very likely be the long-term goal of this new [*******#333333]acquisition model, while NATO's more likely 'acceptance' of the acquirement might be the short-term goal/point of it. However, I think it's a little to early to compare offers at this time since this tender has undergone slight changes just recently. Perhaps previous offers might change and/or new offers from maybe even previously not contending companies might get nominated as well. It feels good though that SSM - the Turkish [/COLOR]Undersecretariat for Defence Industries - thinks one step ahead, even though the acquisition itself is slightly delayed because of this. But better to be sure that you don't regret what you've payed for

Those are What Turkish industrial giants Aselsan/Roketsan collaboation pressures did SAM programs.

-SSM commenced Low Altitude Air Defence Missile Program (Co-production project Model along with stop-gap direct order)=Cancelled for Domestic development

-SSM commenced Mediaum Altitude Air Defence Missile Program (Co-production project Model along with stop-gap direct order)= Cancelled for Domestic development

and Again !!! Aselsan underlined that If SSM gives OK, Aselsan-Roketsan collaboration will develop Long Range SAM within 6-7 years.

-Long Range SAM program ( Direct Order project model) = Cancelled for Co-Development of a National Long Range SAM along with co-production of an existing design.
    Last edited by cabatli_53; 03-29-2013 at 03:25 AM.