Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: U.S. infantry units in West Berlin?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default U.S. infantry units in West Berlin?

    does anyone know what infantry units were based in berlin between 1986 and 1988?
    thanks.

  2. #2
    Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    FYTW
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,027

    Default

    Have a read of this, I think you'll find what you're after in there...

    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...igade-Question

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Have a read of this, I think you'll find what you're after in there...

    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...igade-Question
    cheers,i spent a week with the 5/502 but wasnt sure if i had the regimental number correct,i think they started off as airborne.

  4. #4
    Milo Drinker of Death Flagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The (South)Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    14,673

    Default

    Det A?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Det A?
    sorry you`ve lost me.

  6. #6
    Milo Drinker of Death Flagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The (South)Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    14,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    sorry you`ve lost me.
    Bad joke.......DET A was a little known US Army SF detachment that was based on West Berlin for a period during the Cold War.

    There's far less stuff in open source about Det A than Delta.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Bad joke.......DET A was a little known US Army SF detachment that was based on West Berlin for a period during the Cold War.

    There's far less stuff in open source about Det A than Delta.
    way out of my league lol

  8. #8
    Milo Drinker of Death Flagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The (South)Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    14,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    way out of my league lol
    Mine as well....maybe someday we will learn more about it.

    I do know some Air Force folks who worked in West Berlin in the 80's.

    They had some interesting stories to tell...particularly about how good the exchange rate was for Americans, the good quality of life, and messing with the East German Police on their drives from West Berlin to West Germany.

    Some real interesting history there.

  9. #9
    Member ABN MP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    S. America
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Det A?
    This is the most interesting thing I found. I am surprised how little there is on the internet about them.

    http://www.faychap82d.org/SF%20det%20A.htm

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Mine as well....maybe someday we will learn more about it.

    I do know some Air Force folks who worked in West Berlin in the 80's.

    They had some interesting stories to tell...particularly about how good the exchange rate was for Americans, the good quality of life, and messing with the East German Police on their drives from West Berlin to West Germany.

    Some real interesting history there.
    i think it was 4westmarks to 1 and 12 ostmarks to 1 when i was there plus the duty free in the naafi,happy days.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Reflecting on life at Narcism Pond.
    Posts
    15,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ABN MP View Post
    This is the most interesting thing I found. I am surprised how little there is on the internet about them.

    http://www.faychap82d.org/SF%20det%20A.htm
    Sounds interesting indeed... Secret squirrel stuff.

  12. #12
    Milo Drinker of Death Flagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The (South)Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    14,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Breakfast in Vegas View Post
    Sounds interesting indeed... Secret squirrel stuff.
    First rule of Fight Club, don't talk about Fight Club.

    Sounds like those fellas took that very, very seriously.

    Maybe someday we might learn about their adventures.......but I'd be keen to see some photos of 50's-80's West Berlin .MIL stuff....random personal photos and all that.

    It sounds like even though things were pretty serious back in the day, West Berlin was a pretty cool gig for many(at least those I've met who served there in the 80's)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Reflecting on life at Narcism Pond.
    Posts
    15,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    First rule of Fight Club, don't talk about Fight Club.

    Sounds like those fellas took that very, very seriously.

    Maybe someday we might learn about their adventures.......but I'd be keen to see some photos of 50's-80's West Berlin .MIL stuff....random personal photos and all that.

    It sounds like even though things were pretty serious back in the day, West Berlin was a pretty cool gig for many(at least those I've met who served there in the 80's)
    Indeed. I also wonder what background their former German and Eastern European members had? Maybe better not to ask.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •