Thread: Help locating a WWII SS sniper pic

Default Help locating a WWII SS sniper pic

I am reading the book Himmler's Black Order 1923-45. One reference in the book mentions that there is a photo of an SS sniper in Normandy who was captured wearing a one-piece camoflage jump suit that was issued to US troops in the Pacific theater. Anyone know of this photos? I have searched without luck. There is some speculation that is might have been a propaganda pic but I can find no other reference to this

Quote Originally Posted by jeffy_ssd View Post
    I am reading the book Himmler's Black Order 1923-45. One reference in the book mentions that there is a photo of an SS sniper in Normandy who was captured wearing a one-piece camoflage jump suit that was issued to US troops in the Pacific theater. Anyone know of this photos? I have searched without luck. There is some speculation that is might have been a propaganda pic but I can find no other reference to this
    As far as i know those items were removed from pacific service because one piece jumpsuit clothing and dysentery didnt mix well.

A few of them were then given to Army engineers who served in Normandy in 1944 but were again withdrawn because the similarity to German camouflage meant the engineers ended up getting shot at by BOTH sides so its likely your SS sniper has picked up one of these discarded US items either from a prisoner/casualty or from overrun US supplies.

Frog pattern US camo 2 piece suits was issued at Normandy to the 2nd Armored Division and 30th Infantry. it was recalled after a number of accidents. The likelihood of a one piece coverall captured in the Pacific making its way to Normandy to a Waffen-SS Sniper is astronomical

Could it be this pic? (I googled: German sniper Normandy)

Quote Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post
    Could it be this pic? (I googled: German sniper Normandy)

I think we have a winner...... guess it is all about the search engine that you use. That pic doesnt show up on yahoo search and it took three tries with google to find it. Good find

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

The above picture apparently comes from a series of training photographs and was possibly taken in the U.K.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...t/page__st__40

with the following comment in post number 46 :-

Here are a few more images from the same series of photographs. One French author has put forth that this was a "staged" set of photographs during a British Army sniper training course [possibly in England somewhere]. Note the Mk.III "Stench"-gun is missing it's stock!

Hmmm so I guess the question needs to be asked...Is there such a picture in existence as stated in the original book? It is a pretty exaustive examination of the SS organiation, gear and uniforms and delves into the businesses and manufactorers of SS items. Loads of pics that I had never seen before. I kinda figured the author did his homework.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffy_ssd View Post
    Hmmm so I guess the question needs to be asked...Is there such a picture in existence as stated in the original book? It is a pretty exaustive examination of the SS organiation, gear and uniforms and delves into the businesses and manufactorers of SS items. Loads of pics that I had never seen before. I kinda figured the author did his homework.
    And even the best authors make mistakes, none of your above in bold has anything to do with the camo item or picture in question. Pity we have no way of seeing the other pictures that were originally posted in the series at the link I posted.

Connaught Stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
    And even the best authors make mistakes, none of your above in bold has anything to do with the camo item or picture in question. Pity we have no way of seeing the other pictures that were originally posted in the series at the link I posted.

Connaught Stranger.
    Granted....it was just a reference to the author putting together a pretty informative book and not an amateur website claim. I understand that everyone is ****e to make a mistake, my question is whether the picture actually exists of a SS sniper in said Pacific camo coveralls.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Look up this book by Peter R. Senich...I have a copy around here somewhere and I think the pic already posted in this thread is part of a series showing camo in the book. I can't find my book at the moment or I'd check...

Edit, here they are....

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
    The above picture apparently comes from a series of training photographs and was possibly taken in the U.K.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...t/page__st__40

with the following comment in post number 46 :-
    Its difficult to tell if the When is mk 3 or from the angle but if the T or loop stock was missing there would be bolt cycling probe.
    IMA sold a pistol grip different from the Mk 5 that went on the Mk2. Don't know if it was a repro of an actual part or not.

Senior Member Chairborne Ranger's Avatar

The camo coveralls look customized. In the third photo that CJ provided, the pattern looks brushed on, not printed. Could have been a custom piece made by the sniper (if indeed a real German soldier and not a Brit roleplayer) from plain coveralls.

A few things spring to mind the "British" soldiers have little to no webbing equipment, the British .303 Lee-Enfield rifle looks to have a wooden sniper cheek pad on the butt, however, has no sniper sight mounted, the holder has a bandolier for cartridges tied around his waist.

Strange, that an enemy sniper would camo himself but leave his helmet uncovered, not a hint of net, etc..etc..

The comment: "blends with the wall he passes" in a black & white picture yes, they even added a small arrow to the picture to help pick him out, but, in reality how would his camo have looked from a color perspective against a predominantly grey / blue / white stone wall?

And, its also interesting how they avoid showing the "enemy" soldiers face, when many period pics show the faces.

Connaught Ranger.