Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outrage 101: Radical jailed in slay now Columbia prof

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow Outrage 101: Radical jailed in slay now Columbia prof

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ZxsT7nFZds0HIJ

Former Weather Underground radical Kathy Boudin — who spent 22 years in prison for an armored-car robbery that killed two cops and a Brinks guard — now holds a prestigious adjunct professorship at Columbia University’s School of Social Work, The Post has learned.

Boudin, 69, this year won another academic laurel — being named the Sheinberg Scholar-in-Residence at NYU Law School, where last month she gave a lecture on “the politics of parole and re-entry.”

Boudin’s bounce-back into respectability after her 2003 parole comes to light a week before the release of Robert Redford’s movie “The Company You Keep,” loosely based on the $1.6 million heist.

Boudin’s status of perp-turned-prof outraged the widow of one of her victims, Brinks guard and dad of three Peter Paige, who was gunned down by her accomplices from the Black Liberation Army on Oct. 20, 1981, in Rockland County.

Boudin acted as a getaway driver in the heist.

“She doesn’t deserve a job at all,” said Josephine Paige, 74, when told of Boudin’s posts. “She doesn’t deserve anything, nothing at all. I think she should be back in an institution.”

John Hanchar, the nephew of another victim of the robbery, Nyack Police Officer Edward O’Grady, said that while Boudin “has a right to do whatever she wants . . . I just hope the people that she’s lecturing are smart enough to question why [she felt] like killing people is an acceptable choice to forward their goals.”

“It’s easy to forget that violence is never the answer. Nine children grew up without their dads because of her actions,” said Hanchar, whose uncle O’Grady was shot with automatic weapons.

Boudin did not respond to a request for comment.

She teaches about the issues facing convicts and their families when a person is released from prison.
    Of the hundreds of students Boudin has taught, Yoshioka said, just three have expressed qualms about her criminal background, and only one “switched out” of a class because of those concerns.

One Friday, a criminal-justice conference at the school will feature keynote address by Angela Davis, another infamous radical, and later this month Boudin is scheduled to speak at Columbia Law School’s conference on child and family advocacy.

“I’m happy that she’s doing something positive with her life,” said Robert Van Cura, Rockland County’s undersheriff. But he said, “I believe there’s probably other people that are available to provide education beyond someone who is on parole for murder.”

Columbia School of Social Work Associate Dean Marianne Yoshioka, who hired Boudin for the adjunct-professor post in 2008, said she has been “an excellent teacher who gets incredible evaluations from her students each year.”

Only in America....

You know who went to Columbia University?

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

If you live life thinking American academia has fallen as low as it can go, you're just going to be set up for disappointment
    Last edited by IconOfEvi; 04-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.

How the fck does an accessory to the murder of a LEO only do 20 years? I know in the north east people routinely only serve 10 years or so for killing someone, but wtf.

The actions of our liberal betters, on the other hand, is not surprising. Why not make her a senator.

According to our laws, she paid her debt to society. Is she the same person then as she is now? I met a man, who retired from the federal prison rehab program. Originally he was sentenced to a very long time in prison. He was with the Dillinger gang. In prison he did a about face and help a number of convicts do the same thing.

We can argue that being a driver is not the same as someone who is in the heist or held a gun or........ The courts already did that long ago. That was back then. Today what type of person is she.

“I’m happy that she’s doing something positive with her life,” said Robert Van Cura, Rockland County’s undersheriff. But he said, “I believe there’s probably other people that are available to provide education beyond someone who is on parole for murder.”
    She is on parole, so what does she do with her life. Get back into crime? Get a job? Part of the idea, is to try to get people back into society as productive members not back into prison.

If we (our society) was going to hang her for the crime, we should have done it long ago.

Meh hardly surprising that a Leftist Killer is now a College Professor. Most of the lefties are those in charge in US Colleges now. Birds of a feather... they haven't changed their views

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Meh hardly surprising that a Leftist Killer is now a College Professor. Most of the lefties are those in charge in US Colleges now. Birds of a feather... they haven't changed their views
    I think we also have the parole board to blame too. Her sentence was something like 21 to life.

While it is wiki, it does cover some points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Boudin

I am not sure what the outrage is about in this case.

In our part of the world, we have put courts to look into cases of crime. The court gave the sentence and this person served it. She paid her dues to society.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    According to our laws, she paid her debt to society. Is she the same person then as she is now? I met a man, who retired from the federal prison rehab program. Originally he was sentenced to a very long time in prison. He was with the Dillinger gang. In prison he did a about face and help a number of convicts do the same thing.

We can argue that being a driver is not the same as someone who is in the heist or held a gun or........ The courts already did that long ago. That was back then. Today what type of person is she.

She is on parole, so what does she do with her life. Get back into crime? Get a job? Part of the idea, is to try to get people back into society as productive members not back into prison.

If we (our society) was going to hang her for the crime, we should have done it long ago.
    This woman getting on with her life and getting a job? I am all for it. A prestigious university honoring an accomplice to the murder of an LEO with a full professorship, giving her the task of helping mold the minds of our best and brightest young people? Ya gotta be sh1ttin' me!

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post

I dont think we are arguing against the fact that she landed a job after the penitentiary (the root word of course being penitent). It may not even be her being a random college professor at a random college. The problem is that she's an adjunct, and she's generally treated like a hero or at least someone to look up to. And the fact remains she was chosen for this position precisely BECAUSE of her past as a domestic terrorist. She hasn't really recanted her old views in much the same way Bill Ayers has not sincerely done so either. She's a hero of the mindset Columbia tries to cultivate in their students, and so thats why she was chosen. I doubt she either holds the qualifications to get a professorship that even lower level university require of their faculty.

Ancient hatreds and modern weapons, that's my kind of show -George Carlin

It is kind of interesting that no matter the past sins, the left seem to not only forgive fellow lefties, but elevate them to hero status and honor them. Whether it's Kerry's traitorous behavior and statements during the Vietnam War, or Bill Clinton's unbelievable record of ****** assaults against women, wrongs committed by the left just don't seem to count.

Here is what slays me. In my line of work, I've done around 8 construction projects in my area in the last 5 years that required me to undergo a background check. I've passed them all but I've had more than several workers informed by the project owners ( all high schools, middle schools and universities) that they are not allowed to work on these projects due to: a DUI in the last seven years, any felony in their lifetime and not just a *** crime, etc. It could have been felony jaywalking.

I'd be willing to bet that Columbia has a similar set up for construction , tho I may be wrong. In any case, this chick wouldn't pass.

Heck, she wouldn't pass muster for coaching little league baseball or pop warner football for what it's worth.
    Last edited by dunemetal; 04-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Proof in the pudding. People talk about prisoners 'serving their time' but what they really want is continuous life long punishment and discrimination. Her current success has EVERYTHING to do with her academic accomplishment, and some people on this board want her previous lifes' occurrences to forever bar her from obtaining her goals? How very American of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming East View Post
    Proof in the pudding. People talk about prisoners 'serving their time' but what they really want is continuous life long punishment and discrimination. Her current success has EVERYTHING to do with her academic accomplishment, and some people on this board want her previous lifes' occurrences to forever bar her from obtaining her goals? How very American of you.
    Yep I would have like to see her fry, you would have liked to see her president. she was a Domestic Terrorist who attempted to kill many people from Law enforcement to soldiers at Ft. Dix. Sorry I wont be slobbering over her in adoration, knock yourself out