Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Zero: Mali (VICE videos)

Arrow Ground Zero: Mali (VICE videos)

One another good video by VICE...

Ground Zero: Mali was shot in Gao, Mali, on February 21, 2013. It's basically the first legitimate combat footage to come out of the war there. Normally the French ban journalists from the frontlines and film a sanitized version of the fighting themselves and then distribute it to the media.

In this case, the insurgents came to us: they slipped into Gao overnight on small boats and used suicide bombers to blast their way into government buildings. The French left the fighting to the Malian army for most of the day as a test of their combat abilities. Malian soldiers, while very brave, are almost completely untrained and had great difficulty fighting less than a dozen jihadists, some of whom were children. They fired wild bursts of automatic fire everywhere, destroying the city center. The Malians soon ran out of ammunition and had to wait for the French to show up and save the day.
    Part 1 :

Part 2 ([*******#ff0000]Warning : graphic[/COLOR]) :
    http://www.vice.com/ground-zero/mali-part-2

Pfew, the lack of basic infantry skills is obvious with the Malian troops .....

That was a good docu i must say. But i got mad when the guy had to stop recording ( the best part ).

Quote Originally Posted by OXU72 View Post
    Pfew, the lack of basic infantry skills is obvious with the Malian troops .....
    ******* oath and their fire discipline was disgusting. Obviously priority needs to be given to make sure Malian soldiers have proper training,

How in the world do they have enough ammunition.

Part 2 in particular is rough stuff. Lots of dead & dismembered bodies, viewers beware.

That being said, the Malian army sure seems to be in a pathetic state. Pretty sure those are just random guys who were given a gun and a vest and told "Now you're soldiers!". Heck, no wonder they kept shooting at each other, I don't think two guys wore the same uniform!

Damn. Great videos. Extremely graphic in the second one.

The Malian troops definitely lacked discipline but I was actually surprised by how relatively well they were equipped. What they lacked in tactics and coordination, they definitely made up for in fortitude. I was amazed by how eager some of those guys were to walk straight up the street towards the gunfire, blasting from the hip.

They are brave, but their lack of training tends to turn it into something potentially dangerous for themselves and their allies.

I'm starting to like Vice more and more.

Aren't the French keeping some units in Mali to train these guys?

Here's the French Army camera guy's footage.

That was nuts. The malians are ballsy but they seem to have no basic skills whatsoever. They must have just handed them a gun and said congrats, you're in the army now, go kill bad guys. Shocking how much ammo they went through. No wonder there is a shortage here, it's not panic buyers, it's these clowns doing mag dumps...
    Last edited by crimsontide; 04-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Saw these videos the other day. Pretty grim stuff in the second half - but appallingly scary stuff in the first! You have to be a damned brave reporter/videographer to hang out with guys like that, waving guns around aimlessly, hosing on full auto. I agree these are obviously not true and proper soldiers. Damned scary. With this kind of "opposition" you can see why the Islamists so easily took control of half of the country in rapid succession.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontide View Post
    Here's the French Army camera guy's footage.
    From French pov it looks less dramatic.

RIP Leslie Nielsen and Stompin Tom Connors

One could interpret the Malian soldiers "fortitude" in more ways than one, either a set of brass ones that clunk when they roll or ignorance, lack of training and discipline. Im surprised any of them were able to get themselves sorted at all, since they had no comms other than consumer cellphones, and there didnt really appear to be any proper structure or organisation from the video. The best part is that nobody thought it might be a good idea to get behind better cover once the commander happened to get wounded whilst strolling down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by LoboCanada View Post
    I'm starting to like Vice more and more.

Aren't the French keeping some units in Mali to train these guys?
    EU is training Malian (French, Irish, Swedish, Finns, Lithuanians, ....)
    the offical website of the traning mission
    http://www.eutmmali.eu/

I can honestly say from direct experience, that I think the new Iraqi Army is significantly more capable than what I see in that video of the Malians. That being said, the IA benefit from a lot of sustained combat experience and well trained senior leaders from the prior regime.