Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proposal would allow state religion in North Carolina

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

Default Proposal would allow state religion in North Carolina

Please tell me they're really just flinging **** at the walls out of a misguided sense of frustration. Who do they honestly think the Constitution applies to?

http://www.wral.com/proposal-would-a...lina/12296876/
    RALEIGH, N.C. — A bill filed by Republican lawmakers would allow North Carolina to declare an official religion, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Bill of Rights, and seeks to nullify any federal ruling against Christian prayer by public bodies statewide....

Depending on how its worded and intent it might be legal to attempt. I don't think it is smart to attempt .

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Depending on how its worded and intent it might be legal to attempt. I don't think it is smart to attempt .
    You dont want atheists around the world to have an aneurysm?

The USA is in direct conflict with people trying to impose their religion on the planet, and has growing tensions with a declared religion-ruled country. Surely, most Americans don't want to copy these models.

These lawmakers are dumb.

Having a state religion (as opposed to a national religion) doesn't necessarily run counter to the Constitution, does it? Massachusetts had their own official state religion up until the 1830's.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Don't these incredible douchebags have better things to legislate?

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    You dont want atheists around the world to have an aneurysm?
    No, I just think its wrong because it gives the impression of excluding other religions and those who don't believe. But Most of the people I've met down there are highly religious

Why do they have to shove their cult beliefs down people's throats? Want to pray? Fine, go to your home and pray for days or even pray during your break at work, I don't care, but why do they feel the need to include it on public gatherings, schools, etc? This is not a ****ing theocracy like Iran. Oh, and btw:
    And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
    Matthew 6:5-6- read your damn book

Quote Originally Posted by wwjs View Post
    Why do they have to shove their cult beliefs down people's throats? Want to pray? Fine, go to your home and pray for days or even pray during your break at work, I don't care, but why do they feel the need to include it on public gatherings, schools, etc? This is not a ****ing theocracy like Iran. Oh, and btw: Matthew 6:5-6- read your damn book
    Where does it shove their religion down anyones throat? Have you even read the bill text? you might want to read it first before making such a fatuous claim.

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Overtly Christian prayers at government meetings [/FONT][/COLOR]are not rare in North Carolina[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]. Since the Republican takeover in 2011, the state Senate chaplain has offered an explicitly Christian invocation virtually every day of session, despite the fact that some senators are not Christian.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#faebd7]...............[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    Having a state religion (as opposed to a national religion) doesn't necessarily run counter to the Constitution, does it? Massachusetts had their own official state religion up until the 1830's.
    ... and by any chance they were forced to disestablish the state religion because of the Bill of Rights? States can not impose laws onto its citizens that contradict the Bill of Rights (these are individual rights, not just articles related to the functioning of the levels of government, to differentiate between federal and state level).

Why do they have to shove their cult beliefs down people's throats? Want to pray? Fine, go to your home and pray for days or even pray during your break at work, I don't care, but why do they feel the need to include it on public gatherings, schools, etc? This is not a ****ing theocracy like Iran. Oh, and btw: Matthew 6:5-6- read your damn book
    Love it! And a good advice for religious zealot legislators.

Quote Originally Posted by TG211 View Post
    The USA is in direct conflict with people trying to impose their religion on the planet, and has growing tensions with a declared religion-ruled country. Surely, most Americans don't want to copy these models.

These lawmakers are dumb.
    Those lawmakers are dumb!
    But it is US nature to fight against the Nazi across Europe and still have a Nazi party at home. Just like is US nature not to let these people go to far ... most of the times.

[*******#faebd7]...............[/COLOR]
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...ubmitButton=Go

Where does it shove their religion down anyones throat? Have you even read the bill text? you might want to read it first before making such a fatuous claim.
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Overtly Christian prayers at government meetings [/FONT][/COLOR]are not rare in North Carolina[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]. Since the Republican takeover in 2011, the state Senate chaplain has offered an explicitly Christian invocation virtually every day of session, despite the fact that some senators are not Christian.[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]

If you are not Christian, having an entire state assembly start off their meetings with a prayer to a Bronze-age Jewish carpenter qualifies as stuffing religion down people;s throats. Why cant these a-holes learn to practice their beliefs in private of their church or homes? [/FONT][/COLOR]

And we go back to where we started

This is their key argument...
    "The Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not constitutional; therefore, by virtue of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the power to determine constitutionality and the proper interpretation and proper application of the Constitution is reserved to the states and to the people," the bill states. "Each state in the union is sovereign and may independently determine how that state may make laws respecting an establishment of religion."
    I would think the Supreme Court has the ability to decide on constitutionality issues. So they just say that no other laws can come from the federal level related to the application of the Constitution. However, I would think that once a ruling is made, it is the job of the federal government to enforce that ruling of the the Supreme Court on the states by passing laws to that effect.

It's implicit! Now you have none, going form here to any form of state regulated religion will push on people rights [I don't want to pray to your god or be in the presence of a prayer to your god, I do want to attend city meetings --- how is city meetings prayers not violating this?].