Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67

Thread: Deployment Gear

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10

    Question Deployment Gear

    What do (or did) you carry outside the wire? How much ammo? plate carriers? canteens? custom chest rigs? Or did you stick with what was given to you? Please no airsoft stuff, or SHTF hypothetical gear. I would like to see what people actually think is good or bad when it really counts. Please list your service/branch, years of service, where you were deployed and what you carried. Include as much detail you are comfortable with (or remember). This would be really appreciated as I am joining the Army soon and am curious about what people think really matters.

    Thank you so much for your time.

  2. #2
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    13,369

    Default

    My advice? Look to your NCOs when you hit the operational army. I could tell you what I kept close at hand but every unit, mission, AO etc will impact what you want on you. Your NCOs will know the way.

    I think its safe to say, most people will say moar bullets though.

    Take a fork, knife and spoon with you.

  3. #3
    Hot Biker Dude of Death Royal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'round and about...
    Posts
    8,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    I think its safe to say, most people will say moar bullets though.
    Bullets and water are all that you need to take to the slaughter...

  4. #4
    Senior Member tommyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rockies
    Posts
    1,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    My advice? Look to your NCOs when you hit the operational army. I could tell you what I kept close at hand but every unit, mission, AO etc will impact what you want on you. Your NCOs will know the way.

    I think its safe to say, most people will say moar bullets though.

    Take a fork, knife and spoon with you.
    Make sure you have a bottle of hot sauce for the field. I always preferred Texas Pete.

  5. #5
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    13,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
    Make sure you have a bottle of hot sauce for the field. I always preferred Texas Pete.
    MRE tobasco was good enough for me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member tommyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rockies
    Posts
    1,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    MRE tobasco was good enough for me.
    Yeah, but those little tiny bottles were never enough...

  7. #7
    Senior Member LineDoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    38S MB 3661/8351
    Posts
    32,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otiswolf View Post
    What do (or did) you carry outside the wire? How much ammo? plate carriers? canteens? custom chest rigs? Or did you stick with what was given to you? Please no airsoft stuff, or SHTF hypothetical gear. I would like to see what people actually think is good or bad when it really counts. Please list your service/branch, years of service, where you were deployed and what you carried. Include as much detail you are comfortable with (or remember). This would be really appreciated as I am joining the Army soon and am curious about what people think really matters.

    Thank you so much for your time.
    27years Army, 24years Infantry. Everyday worn/carried on patrol:
    Body Armor with plates
    Helmet, ACH & or PASGT (I had both with me)
    Chest Rig, SDS R.A.C.K.
    Specops **** attached to IBA (3L water)
    I/R strobes, (ACR2000 and 9V programable)
    15X30 rd magazines (30 rds to mag) 5.56mm was British for some reason
    1 AN/M14 Thermite Grenade
    1 AN/M8 White Smoke Grenade
    2 M67 Frag Grenade (raids only)
    AN/PVS-14 Night Vision Monocular
    Issue Gerber tool
    Field dressings X 4
    PRR Radio
    Randall Model 14 Knife
    M1938 wire cutters
    M4 with M 68 CCO and AN/PAQ-4

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    My advice? Look to your NCOs when you hit the operational army. I could tell you what I kept close at hand but every unit, mission, AO etc will impact what you want on you. Your NCOs will know the way.

    I think its safe to say, most people will say moar bullets though.

    Take a fork, knife and spoon with you.
    I was curious about what you guys carried, not necessarily for myself. Its interesting to see what people needed and why.

  9. #9
    Senior Member tommyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rockies
    Posts
    1,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otiswolf View Post
    I was curious about what you guys carried, not necessarily for myself. Its interesting to see what people needed and why.
    Look, don't worry about it now, you will learn along the way, from your NCO's and fellow soldiers, and Spec 4 mafia if you go there.

    BTW, I was in 9 years. 82nd ABN and 2nd Battalion.

  10. #10
    Member BMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    709

    Default

    agreed. worry about the close targets for now, everything else will be learned when needed.

  11. #11
    Member RangerChallenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    need to know basis
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    Take a fork, knife and spoon with you.
    Truer words have never been spoken. MRE spoons for days.

  12. #12
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    GREECE
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Randall Model 14 Knife
    May i ask when did you get it, price and waiting period?

  13. #13

    Default

    Toilet paper, a personal bottle of tobasco, and a Light My Fire Fork/Knife/Spoon combo thingy. For everything else they will tell you what you need to bring.

  14. #14
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    13,369

    Default

    Baby wipes and batteries never run out of style.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    27years Army, 24years Infantry. Everyday worn/carried on patrol:
    Body Armor with plates
    Helmet, ACH & or PASGT (I had both with me)
    Chest Rig, SDS R.A.C.K.
    Specops **** attached to IBA (3L water)
    I/R strobes, (ACR2000 and 9V programable)
    15X30 rd magazines (30 rds to mag) 5.56mm was British for some reason
    1 AN/M14 Thermite Grenade
    1 AN/M8 White Smoke Grenade
    2 M67 Frag Grenade (raids only)
    AN/PVS-14 Night Vision Monocular
    Issue Gerber tool
    Field dressings X 4
    PRR Radio
    Randall Model 14 Knife
    M1938 wire cutters
    M4 with M 68 CCO and AN/PAQ-4

    Its because our ammo is rock hard linedoggie!!!! None of your yankee rubbish. lol

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •