Jumping grenade reduces the risk of innocent people being injured in war
On 5 December rewarded FMV's technical expert Ian Kinley with the medal of the Royal War Academy of Sciences for his work with explosive grenade 07. See videos from the sample. A FMV-employed engineer behind the biggest news in the grenade area since WWI. By jumping up just before brisaden and target fragmentation in a cone towards the ground minimizes the risk of innocent victims, while the grenade is many times more effective against their military objectives.
When an ordinary shrapnel grenade explodes, half of shrapnel into the ground to no value. The other half goes into the air, spreading in all directions and involves unnecessary danger to a third party. Only a few fragments have a chance to give effect to the target, provided that the soldier is not behind a small barrier, then the effect fails completely.
- I started this because I felt that ordinary hand grenades filled its function. They are unnecessarily dangerous for innocent nearby and the largely lacks the ability to reach the goal, says Ian Kinley, technical expert in specialty ammunition at FMV.
Ian Kinleys solution is based instead on the grenade shoots itself up in the air before it explodes.
- Since it shoots up to reach it not only targets behind obstacles. The technology behind the launch means that it knows what is up and down, which allows us to target shrapnel downwards, in an area five meters around the crash site, said Ian Kinley.
Reduced risk of third parties
By concentrating effect in a cone under the grenade, instead of spreading the shrapnel spherically also increases splitter density several times. The goal then struck from above and thus over a larger area, and with increased
splitter, which increases the likelihood that it turned out. No splitter goes sideways, which dramatically reduces the risk of bystanders.
- In addition, we have incorporated a further safety feature that slows splittren to make them harmless against innocents.
The effect is achieved by splittren are designed so that the brakes themselves farther from the grenade they come. At 30 meters is enough normal clothes for protection. Frequently grenades can seriously harm people who are much further away than that from brisaden.
Ian Kinleys work on improving the grenade function began about ten years ago when he took over responsibility including hand grenades at FMV. The goal was to improve them so that they were not as dangerous to the third party. The result - the biggest change within grenade range since the First World War - and a world patent on the technology of FMV.
FMV has a patent on the technology
Ian Kinley rewarded for his work with the shell of the Royal Academy of Sciences war with a silver medal of the eighth magnitude, and next year will begin grenade delivered to the Armed Forces. It replaces the older models of hand grenades which have an indiscriminate brand image.
- Sweden sends men and women at work in the world to defend the democratic world and protect civilians from abuse. This requires that we give them the best tools to solve their tasks, anything else is unthinkable in a democracy like ours, says Ian Kinley.
Ian Kinley is FMV's technical expert on special ammunition. This means both that he is responsible for the knowledge of the field in the FMV and the fact that he helps other authorities, the Armed Forces, FOI, Department and MSB, when they have issues in his area. With his background as an engineer and captain in the army, Ian Kinley easy to see technologies in the Armed Forces.
Effective low-cost solution
- I can see clearly prior direct application of the Armed Forces and has the ability to make it a reality. My task is, to satisfy military requirements in such a smart and inexpensive way possible. I enjoy working in this environment and it is satisfying to be able to contribute to Sweden's defense.
Basically is Ian Kinleys work to constantly find the most effective solution for the cheapest payment. Since bursting grenade 07 is so much more efficient than conventional hand grenades do not need as many soldiers. It provides both better combat economic, simpler logistics and reduced training requirements.
- Anyone can do expensive things and make them work, there is no challenge. It's the simple things that are hard to get at. As with the defensive hand grenade. We have really just given it a new shape and added some new pyrotechnics in a smart way. It is a cheap way to get a brand new character.
Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences has noted Ian Kinleys invention and says the explosive grenade 07 is of particular importance for the Swedish defense. Particular emphasis is put on the ability to reduce the risk of a third party.
- I'm honored, of course. It's extremely satisfying to the department, which assesses efforts to defend on an academic level, choosing to give me a medal for my invention.
As saving hop grenade life What:
Bursting Grenade 07, SHGR 07.
SHGR 07 is designed to greatly reduce the risk of a third party, then the innocent who happens to be in the wrong place. At the same time it provides a greatly increased exclusion probability.
How it works art:
Grenade thrown like a regular grenade and rolls until it stops. A first pyrotechnic charge activates a rising mechanism that allows the shell stands up. Thus it knows what's up and ner.En second charge postpones grenade straight up in luften.Vid about two meters grenade explodes, spreading shrapnel in a cone down to the ground, in the military area of interest, five meters around the crash site.
Advantages of a normal hand grenade:
Trading shrapnel against the military objective, reducing the risk of injury to third part.Designen of themselves splittren allow them to quickly lose energy outside the military area of interest. At 30 meters gives splittren no permanent damage. Luftbrisaden makes splinter cone reaching the goals that underlie protection. Splitt Rets direction from above also provides a larger target area for landscape goals. Since all the shrapnel goes down, in the military area of interest, it is much denser than shrapnel from a standard grenade, increasing the exclusion probability. The shell is always possible to switch to a regular markbrisad with a simple operation.
Published: 2012-12-05 13:17. Updated: 2012-12-19 15:47. Editor: