Page 1 of 74 1234567891151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1100

Thread: Steyr AUG

  1. #1
    Grunt Opening Batsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Aussie
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,666

    Default Steyr A4

    The Steyr A4

    Anybody have any of the latest scoop on them?
    Any thoughts on it?
    Anybody know when they will start rolling in?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Running From The BBDA
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Mate, its part fo the new land warrior project.

    The first battalions to receive it will obviously be the infantry battlions, and probably 2/14 or 3/4 as well as recon 3 brigade (have to be I'd asume).

    1RAR as the online battalion, on their recent deployment to the solomons took abit of the land warior project with them (radio comms and knee pads etc)

    As for the styer itself - it shouldnt be to long (by the end of the year definately, maybe even a few for 5/7 before they deploy..

    It isnt anything special - just a picitinny rail at the front to put the GLA on the front or a front foregrip for CQB (just updating the rifle becuase of the situations we are finding ourselves in these days ie iraq), and a shortened barrel (we have carbines in serivce at the moment anyway).
    Personally I like the pistol grip on them at the moment with the full finger coverage - but obviously with the GLA they have to remove it. I have seen pictures of the new F88 with a front foregrip and it still has the full pistol grip.

  3. #3
    Grunt Opening Batsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Aussie
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,666

    Default

    Righto, thanks for the info.
    Is it compatible with the bayonet?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Running From The BBDA
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Bah who needs em.
    The buck is useless - I've bent one and broken another and thats just me!
    The wire cutter on them is crap and the thumb break works its way loose then you have to front up with $300.

    Better to have your own fighting knife - but who'd want to be in the situation to use one. Take some balls Ill tell you that much. To look a man in the eye as you drive a blade into his chest and rip upwards. Sends shivers up your spine!

    Just last year I had a guy in my sights doing overwatch in iraq - and I had to look at him sort of side-ways he was so ****ing close..

  5. #5
    Senior Member ShotOver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessRAR
    Bah who needs em.
    The buck is useless - I've bent one and broken another and thats just me!
    The wire cutter on them is crap and the thumb break works its way loose then you have to front up with $300.

    Better to have your own fighting knife - but who'd want to be in the situation to use one. Take some balls Ill tell you that much. To look a man in the eye as you drive a blade into his chest and rip upwards. Sends shivers up your spine!
    Just last year I had a guy in my sights doing overwatch in iraq - and I had to look at him sort of side-ways he was so f*** close..
    If you had added the word "Aarrrrr!" to the end of that sentence, i could of sworn you were a pirate.

  6. #6
    Member garoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    West of Aotearoa
    Posts
    644

    Default

    There was a news special filmed at ADI Lithgow when the Chief made the first public showing of the new Steyr A4. I've got one or two small screen grabs of the event. Also Army News have ran I think atleast or maybe two stories on it.

  7. #7
    ..... <Gypsum Fantastic>'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TH M'N STZ S'FR.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    15,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PT
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessRAR
    Bah who needs em.
    The buck is useless - I've bent one and broken another and thats just me!
    The wire cutter on them is crap and the thumb break works its way loose then you have to front up with $300.

    Better to have your own fighting knife - but who'd want to be in the situation to use one. Take some balls Ill tell you that much. To look a man in the eye as you drive a blade into his chest and rip upwards. Sends shivers up your spine!
    Just last year I had a guy in my sights doing overwatch in iraq - and I had to look at him sort of side-ways he was so f*** close..
    If you had added the word "Aarrrrr!" to the end of that sentence, i could of sworn you were a pirate.

  8. #8
    Official Team Milo Selection Committee BiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    East Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Talking to some boys out from Singleton yesterday the word out there for the Inf boys is that the M4 will be brought in within the next 2 years....around the time 3RAR move and loose para status.

    Gotta love rumours eh?

  9. #9
    "Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your clacker valve. Playing cricket
    Age
    36
    Posts
    22,122

    Default

    I heard that B squadron 3/4 Cav are getting Bushmaster along with the 7 Brigdade reserve units and the adgies.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Running From The BBDA
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiZ
    Talking to some boys out from Singleton yesterday the word out there for the Inf boys is that the M4 will be brought in within the next 2 years....around the time 3RAR move and loose para status.

    Gotta love rumours eh?
    the M4!?!?! for the whole infantry - that is pure bull**** unless you typoed and meant A4...

    There is no way they will equip regs with M4's, only SF mate.

    and the 3RAR gig is still up in the air, no full vote of confidence yet, although asif it wont happen.

    A few scenarios though - 6RAR move out to amerbly and get para qualed, 1 or 2 get it as the have the runway at the front of lavarack (the area is so built up now though compared to when i was a grunt there).
    4RAR keep and it and no one else get para..probably not!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Running From The BBDA
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digrar
    I heard that B squadron 3/4 Cav are getting Bushmaster along with the 7 Brigdade reserve units and the adgies.
    25/49th RQR, 9RQR is light infantry, 25 is motorised (currntly using the 6bee).

    and if 3/4 are I feel for them....

    And adgies - who cares No i take that back not all of them are bad! Just most..

  12. #12
    "Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your clacker valve. Playing cricket
    Age
    36
    Posts
    22,122

    Default

    I also heard all the Gres Inf Battalions are losing their Support Companies as a cost cutting exercise. Nice way to keep the numbers up in chocks.

  13. #13
    Senior Member mountainbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    I've read in the French magazine RAIDS about the Advanced Individual Combat Weapon program and I just found this whit GOOGLE:
    http://www.tenix.com/PDFLibrary/150.pdf
    Isnít it supposed to be the Australian future warrior weapon?
    In the RAIDS article it is said that the program is quite advanced and that the first prototype could be ready in 12 months, the article is from June 2004, so whatís the current statue of this program?
    And why not use the Steyr AUG A3? It seems to have the same modular capacities as the ADI F88 A4.
    http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=492

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Official Team Milo Selection Committee BiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    East Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessRAR
    Quote Originally Posted by BiZ
    Talking to some boys out from Singleton yesterday the word out there for the Inf boys is that the M4 will be brought in within the next 2 years....around the time 3RAR move and loose para status.

    Gotta love rumours eh?
    the M4!?!?! for the whole infantry - that is pure bull**** unless you typoed and meant A4...

    There is no way they will equip regs with M4's, only SF mate.

    and the 3RAR gig is still up in the air, no full vote of confidence yet, although asif it wont happen.

    A few scenarios though - 6RAR move out to amerbly and get para qualed, 1 or 2 get it as the have the runway at the front of lavarack (the area is so built up now though compared to when i was a grunt there).
    4RAR keep and it and no one else get para..probably not!
    As I said, rumours out at Singleton. As for 4RAR(Cdo) being the only "infantry" para qualified unit, my money would be on that bet. Think of the $ that would be saved.......and that my friends is what it's all about. I'd also put money on 4RAR getting 3RARs area for expansion and it not be replaced with another unit.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •