Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain man black powder gear

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow Mountain man black powder gear

I recently picked up a reproduction Hawken rifle. I now have a period shirt, powder horn, capper, patch knife, possibles pouch and a few other items. I am looking at getting the whole deal; early 19th century mountain man clothing, a Bowie knife, tomahawk, and so on. I thought I would start a thread where those who have been into the black powder scene and attended rendevous could share their experiences and recommendations. All contributions are welcome.

One proviso; this is *not* an airsoft thread. I only put this in this forum due to the 'reeactment' in the forum title.

i know where you can pick up an authentic case of Syphilis to round out your kit

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming East View Post
    i know where you can pick up an authentic case of Syphilis to round out your kit
    Not interested, and you are not my type, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
    I recently picked up a reproduction Hawken rifle. I now have a period shirt, powder horn, capper, patch knife, possibles pouch and a few other items. I am looking at getting the whole deal; early 19th century mountain man clothing, a Bowie knife, tomahawk, and so on. I thought I would start a thread where those who have been into the black powder scene and attended rendevous could share their experiences and recommendations. All contributions are welcome.

One proviso; this is *not* an airsoft thread. I only put this in this forum due to the 'reeactment' in the forum title.
    there are some folks out there, who make really nice fur trapper era looking tomahawks, powder horns, etc. The authentic "buckskins" can get a little pricey. I suggest getting a good quality cap, your choice, of either fur type (i.e. entire raccoon pelt made into a hat, skunk fur hat) or the cloth types sometimes worn by fur trapper re enactors. casting your own lead balls for the Hawken type repro is fun also and I have done that.

Another fun suggestion is get you a custom made "fire steel" from one of the many quality makers out there (don't get a cheapo one that won't make sparks) and learn to make fire with flint and steel, and then progress to friction "bow drill" which is really not that hard to do if you get the right equipment and learn how to do it. Flint and steel is so easy, anyone can do it with the proper steel and flint.

I had a custom made (hand carved/engraved scenes) powder horn made for me, it is a beauty.

Check out track of the wolf, and Dixie Gun Works. Both have great catalogs with lots of period things.

Arrow

Thanks, guys. There is a big rendevous coming up in June. There should be lots of vendors there with tons of cool handmade stuff. The catalogs will give me a reference point and allow me to decide where I can get by with mass-produced things and where I need the better quality items.

i don't know about you people but i have always wanted to do this on an old firearm

Quote Originally Posted by ayanami_tard View Post
    i don't know about you people but i have always wanted to do this on an old firearm

Quote Originally Posted by ayanami_tard View Post

Or:

BTW, a original 1818 Springfield.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Or:

BTW, a original 1818 Springfield.
    Photoshopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
    Photoshopped.
    Nope, just add on, that would fall off as soon as I picked it up. It is pretty good shooter.

It went through a Belgium conversion to percussion around '46, then it was rifled for the Civil War. Imagine a .69 caliber minie ball....

Nope, just add on, that would fall off as soon as I picked it up. It is pretty good shooter.

It went through a Belgium conversion to percussion around '46, then it was rifled for the Civil War. Imagine a .69 caliber minie ball....
    Wait, is that your rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    Wait, is that your rifle?
    Yes, I have a few pumpkin slingers. This is the only rifled one.

Yes, I have a few pumpkin slingers. This is the only rifled one.
    Haha, I found that picture on google when I was trying to find something to mess with CJ like 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    Haha, I found that picture on google when I was trying to find something to mess with CJ like 2 months ago.
    I had a photo of a pistol of mine, wind up on a Chinese forum. A reason to be care what you post on the internet. If not for today, but future generations may know what you where up to back then.

I wonder if my computer aided long range sniping rifle is out there too?

Daisey Red Ryder, with large scope setting on it, bi-pod, and computer monitor corded to it.