Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reports of USAF KC-135 crashing near Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

That is a done deal... There are no parachutes on the 135, contrary to popular belief. The other pictures show what looks like the wheel well and main gear, the boom and a CFM-56 engine.

Жаткан жеринер жайлуу, топурагынар торко болсун.
    May the crew rest in peace, my condolences to the family members and friends.
    What a terrible way to die - engulfed by 200 000 pounds of liquid fire

Poor buggers! Condolences to the families. No such thing as routine in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by kc135cc View Post
    [SIZE=3]If that tail number is correct I think it's from[FONT=Arial] MacDill AFB outside of Tampa[/FONT][/SIZE]
    It sure looks like it has a McConnell fin flash.

It is, the registration I looked at listed as MacDill, it is now assigned to McConnell. When wings transfer jets it can take a while to rebadge the tail flash.

[SIZE=3]If that tail number is correct I think it's from[FONT=Arial] MacDill AFB outside of Tampa[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Tail says McConnell (Kansas).

There are no parachutes on the 135, contrary to popular belief.
    I thought no way until I looked it up. There were always parachutes when I did egress training on 135...but then again, I retired in late 2007. http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...s-from-KC-135s If that aircraft was at MacDill before McConnell, I probably did egress training on it.

Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McFire View Post
    I thought no way until I looked it up. There were always parachutes when I did egress training on 135...but then again, I retired in late 2007. http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...s-from-KC-135s If that aircraft was at MacDill before McConnell, I probably did egress training on it.
    You never hear about survivors in cargo, transport or tanker crashes... or at least rarely. AFAIK B-52s and B-1s still have ejection seats? Not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakfast in Vegas View Post
    You never hear about survivors in cargo, transport or tanker crashes... or at least rarely. AFAIK B-52s and B-1s still have ejection seats? Not sure though.
    If the aircraft is controllable, cargoes, tankers, transports usually "ride it in," as the crew is too busy flying and there is not time to go strap on a parachute and bail out. Fighters and bombers can just eject.

5/3/2013 - TRANSIT CENTER AT MANAS, Kyrgyzstan (AFNS) -- An Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker crashed May 3 in northern Kyrgyzstan. Emergency response crews are on scene. The status of the crew is unknown.

The crew and aircraft are assigned to the Transit Center at Manas near Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.
    http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123346971

Hell even if there were still chutes on board I don't know if I would want to take my chances going out the crew entry door.

The wreckage of the Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker plane is seen at the site of the crash near the Kyrgyz village of Chaldovar, May 3, 2013. A U.S. military refuelling plane on its way to Afghanistan exploded in mid air and crashed in Kyrgyzstan on Friday when its cargo of fuel ignited, the Central Asian country's Emergencies Ministry said. The aircraft took off from the U.S. military transit centre at Kyrgyzstan's international Manas airport, which U.S. forces maintain for operations in Afghanistan, with around 70 tonnes of fuel on board, a local ministry official said.

according to witnesses plane was flying low and burning, then it exploded in midair and disintgrated into three parts.

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by McFire View Post
    The chutes were removed for fuel savings and the egress system disabled on most tails. Chances are you're going to ride a plane like this to the ground over a successful egress during an emergency.

The chutes were removed for fuel savings and the egress system disabled on most tails.
    No way? Cost savings seem minimal from saving the fuel for some chutes? Not saying I know better but it just seems minimal.

Hope they made it out although we would likely know already if they did.