Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk 262 77-grain 5.56mm

Arrow Mk 262 77-grain 5.56mm

Test of the 5.56mm NATO MK 262 Mod 1 77 gr OTM from Black Hills. The MK262 Mod 1 is topped by a Sierra MatchKing bullet, and is an active-duty military cartridge. Test shot at 100 yards using clear gel from ClearBallistics.com. Video includes review of the cartridge, test shot, and some close-up views of the clear block.
    The Mk 262 is a match quality round manufactured by Black Hills Ammunition made originally for the Special Purpose Rifle (SPR). It uses a 77-grain (5.0 g) Sierra MatchKing bullet that is more effective at longer ranges than the standard issue M855 round.

Two versions of the round have been procured to date. Initial production runs, designated Mark 262 Mod 0, lacked a cannelure. Subsequent production, designated Mk 262 Mod 1, added a cannelure to the bullet for effective crimping.

According to US DoD sources, the Mk 262 round is capable of making kills at 700 meters. Ballistics tests found that the round caused "consistent initial yaw in soft tissue" at more than 300 meters. Apparently it is superior to the standard M855 round when fired from an M4 or M16 rifle. It evidently possesses superior stopping power, and can allow for engagements to be extended to up to 700 meters when fired from an 18 inch barrel. It appears that this round can drastically improve the performance of any AR15 platform weapon chambered to .223/5.56 mm. Superior accuracy, wounding capacity, stopping power and range power has made this the preferred round of many Special Forces operators..

==========

If so gud, Its better to have this than going for 6.8mm / 6.5mm rounds..

I assume it can be loaded to a regular AR-15 magazine too ?

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kunal Biswas View Post
    I assume it can be loaded to a regular AR-15 magazine too ?
    Yep. Hard to find though, even before ammo scarcity went through the roof.

77gr Matchking, eh? Funny, Sierra recommends against using them for hunting.

I believe it's best to use 1/7" or 1/8" twist barrels with this ammo. 55 and 62 grain have a lot more leeway when it comes to rifling, especially 55 grain.

This is used by the military? Aren't JHP rounds banned for military applications?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    This is used by the military? Aren't JHP rounds banned for military applications?
    non-expanding. Think of the SMK as a backwards FMJ.

Ah, got it. The hollowed tip made it appear like expanding ammunition. My knowledge of rifle ammunition stems only from my military experience, so basically, I have only been around FMJ rounds. For pistols, it is a bit different; I keep my pistol magazines loaded with JHP ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I believe it's best to use 1/7" or 1/8" twist barrels with this ammo. 55 and 62 grain have a lot more leeway when it comes to rifling, especially 55 grain.
    Yeah it runs quite nicely in our Steyr's (1/7" twist, 20" barrels) Definitely noticed the difference between it and our SS-109 at target end effect

Black Hills started selling Mk262 commercially a couple of years ago, I attached a picture of a box of 50. Pre-craze it was going at about $40ish per 50 rounds and I did find one source that almost always had it in stock. The only significant difference between it and the standard Black Hills 223 77gr OTM load is muzzle velocity, Mk262 is something like 200+fps faster out of a 20" barrel. Not sure if they covered that in the video above but my ADD kicked in well before 7 minutes.

I am curious to see what will happen to this round in the military. Last year I turned in my team's last SPR, and as far as I know those are gone for good with no replacement coming in 5.56mm. So now we have a yearly allotment of something like 90 (yes, ninety) rounds of Mk262 per team, and no precision rifle to take advantage of it.

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Its our Operational ammo now SS109 now relegated to training, works dam well out of our 20" barrel 508 IW Steyrs.

Quote Originally Posted by cadre02 View Post
    Its our Operational ammo now SS109 now relegated to training, works dam well out of our 20" barrel 508 IW Steyrs.
    Are you Kiwi too?

Counting the paces on the path back to Babylon.

Wonder if the Mk. 262 is a subtle nod the Me262 because of it's 'increased velocity'?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Yep. Hard to find though, even before ammo scarcity went through the roof.
    I got 1000 rounds of the stuff from Cheaters And Turds last year. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it sure as hell wasn't cheap.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2004 View Post
    I got 1000 rounds of the stuff from Cheaters And Turds last year. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it sure as hell wasn't cheap.
    Only place I ever saw it was AmmoToGo and Gunbroker. (Not that I looked all that hard because you need a 1-to-8 twist or better to stabilize the round apparently.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    77gr Matchking, eh? Funny, Sierra recommends against using them for hunting.
    Fragmenting rounds are not desirable for hunting in most cases. They will certainly kill, but they are easily upset by things like branches, and they may not penetrate well through something like a shoulder.

The increased penetration from a JSP also tends to result in a pass through, and the extra blood makes tracking easier.