Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: World War 3

Default World War 3

Have searched for it but haven't found anything. If repost, please delete.

Anyway, I recently came through this interesting "what if" movie. A ten part docu-fiction on how did WW3 start during the Cold War.

It is mostly made of archives videos and arranged in such a way it creates a somehow convincing scenario. Perhaps a bit Tom-Clancy-ish if you ask me, but nice nonetheless.

part1
    *for some reason part 1 cannot be found anywhere on youtube...*

part2

part3

part4

part5

part6

part7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk0bE0dLyqs

part8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHaqGlsHVuI

part9
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cnFONgY3A

part10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpFgRLF-Sfo

I hope you'll enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan le Fou View Post

I hope you'll enjoy.
    Nicely done, thxs for posting
    A little bit too optimistic for my taste though

Quote Originally Posted by Mordoror View Post
    Nicely done, thxs for posting
    A little bit too optimistic for my taste though
    My thoughts exactly when looking at a particulary Western "What if" though still much so the same for an Eastern "What if" (Eg: Minimal nuclear exchange)

That said, critiques aside for its analysis I could not imagine a Documentary being made like this Today both relying on real footage and avoiding much of the dumbing down of Todays Documentaries... (Eg: Big Explosions, Heroic Outcomes, Tech vs Numbers etc)

There is another docu-fiction called First Strike which , even though it is more focused on the possible effects of a first strike on the US, shows a broader use of nuclear weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by DasVivo View Post
    My thoughts exactly when looking at a particulary Western "What if" though still much so the same for an Eastern "What if" (Eg: Minimal nuclear exchange)

That said, critiques aside for its analysis I could not imagine a Documentary being made like this Today both relying on real footage and avoiding much of the dumbing down of Todays Documentaries... (Eg: Big Explosions, Heroic Outcomes, Tech vs Numbers etc)
    Indeed
    When i said too optimistic it is as you wrotte about lack of use of nukes (while it was a real risk in case of quick advance from east to west or west to east)
    And the fact that every thing seems solved in 24h-48h each time there is a climax or momentum situation
    As for example, NATO air superiority is solved in a single battle
    The examples of WWII showed that the dominance (on ground or air between 2 behemots) was solved in fact by attrition during months if not years until one of the side reached a breaking point

All of these "What if" videos about WWIII are always amusing.

Let's look at it like this: if WWII had never occurred, do any of you think that people today would be able to accurately guess how it all would have gone down?

Pearl Harbor, The Battle of Stalingrad, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, etc. Events that changed the course of the war entirely

Do you think anybody could have foreseen those things occurring? The answer is no.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is. .War is an unpredictable thing. Especially when it involves two entities as large and militarily powerful as the USSR and NATO. That's why videos like these always give me a good chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei V. View Post
    All of these "What if" videos about WWIII are always amusing.

Pearl Harbor, The Battle of Stalingrad, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, etc. Events that changed the course of the war entirely
    None of them did.
    They probably shortened or lenghened the war by a year or half a year
    For example Stalingrad. If the Wehrmacht had done nothing, Russia would've had a tougher job and probably had another year or so to go before going on the offensive. If the Wehrmacht had attacked elsewhere (Leningrad, Moscow again, Caucasus) a great battle would've been fought there and depending on the result, would've lengthened or shortened the war for perhaps a year.
    If Zukov's "Mars" operation in front of Moscow had been as much a success as Ur****, the Red Army could have crossed the Vistula in 1943 allready.

The ultimate outcome of a war is, in the long run, a very predictable thing. What happens in between is unpredictable.
    In the end, numbers always tell.
    Probably the last time anyone really won against all expectations was Alexander and I'm not really sure about him either.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    The ultimate outcome of a war is, in the long run, a very predictable thing. What happens in between is unpredictable.
    If that were true we wouldn't have all of these military "experts" constantly disagreeing on what would have happened had the USSR and NATO gotten into a conventional war with each other.

What would've happened in a NATO-Warsaw pact war is pretty clear, we would all have some additional limbs by now and drive cool postapocalyptic trucks...
    All those scenarios have to account for the lack of nukes, which would've been almost inevitable, at least from the soviet side.
    The USSR never planned for a purely conventional war.

All those scenarios have to account for the lack of nukes, which would've been almost inevitable, at least from the soviet side.
    The USSR never planned for a purely conventional war.
    That's true enough. Add nukes into the equation, and suddenly WWIII becomes an incredibly predictable war.

Defender of the Man Code muttbutt's Avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thi...e_Untold_Story

Excellent books on the subject written by John Hackett.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei V. View Post
    If that were true we wouldn't have all of these military "experts" constantly disagreeing on what would have happened had the USSR and NATO gotten into a conventional war with each other.
    A conventional war had only one possible outcome: nuclear war.

very interesting thanks mate, Albert Eisenstein once said i don't know how ww3 will be fight however ww4 will be fought with bow and arrows.

War is like love; it always finds a way. - Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by thounaojamtom View Post
    very interesting thanks mate, Albert Eisenstein once said i don't know how ww3 will be fight however ww4 will be fought with bow and arrows.
    No, with Shishkebaps, Rock-It-Launchers and Fat Men