Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger tank hand crank startup

Default Tiger tank hand crank startup

Interesting, didn't know they could do that. Good use of torque, though I'd be worried something might seize up in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    Interesting, didn't know they could do that. Good use of torque, though I'd be worried something might seize up in cold weather.
    Great find! Thanks so much for sharing! We are really lucky to have it here, though i am torn. As much as i love the prestige of being able to claim we have the only working one i also think it is a shame that there are not more of these in working order around the world, just enough to share the experience but not enough so that it makes them common/worth less.

I didn't expect it would start that easily. Here is another one:

http://www.snotr.com/video/8774/Tiger_tank_start_up

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    Great find! Thanks so much for sharing! We are really lucky to have it here, though i am torn. As much as i love the prestige of being able to claim we have the only working one i also think it is a shame that there are not more of these in working order around the world, just enough to share the experience but not enough so that it makes them common/worth less.
    They also have a "JagdPanther"

Quote Originally Posted by Arfah View Post
    They also have a "JagdPanther"
    That and the Tiger are my two favourite AFV's of the Second World War, shortly followed by the A34 Comet. Would love to see a working JagdPanther!

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

A beautiful beast!

Quote Originally Posted by beNder View Post
    A beautiful beast!
    Sounded a little different to how i would have imagined to be honest, the King Tiger in PEMM's video sounded how i would have expected the Tiger to sound but they were a little different. Tiger seem more high pitched than i would have thought, almost Gas Turbine like?

That and the Tiger are my two favourite AFV's of the Second World War, shortly followed by the A34 Comet. Would love to see a working JagdPanther!
    Until then, this will have to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RsNfX1hyck

Not strictly had cranked, what they are doing is "winding up" an inertia starter. When ready it is engaged and spins over the engine until it starts, or not, rinse and repeat........

The engine in 131 is actually a later type as fitted to a Panther/Tiger B. Many thousands of pounds went into converting the fan drives etc.
    Surviving Tiger 1 numbers are very limited. There is this one in the UK, the ex APG example now back in the US. One at Saumur in France, a battlefield relic in Vimoutiers in Normandy which is due to have a major cosmetic overhaul. One at Kubinka in Russia, another one, albeit very rough was at a park in Snegiri in Russia, plus the bitsa made from several wrecks that has just been put on display at the tank museum Muenster Germany. The person who rebuilt that is working on another.

Rumoured are several lost in marshes or rivers in Russia/Ukraine plus one in the River Seine near Rouen in Normandy.

The JagdPanther is not part of the Tank Museum collection but is owned by the Weald Trust, formally the SdKfz Foundation. These are charitable trusts founded by Michael Gibb, a gentleman farmer in the UK of South African birth.

D.

Banned user

precious.....

Quote Originally Posted by Arfah View Post
    Until then, this will have to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RsNfX1hyck
    Ah wow that must have been a sight, great looking PzKpfw III trundling along behind there as well. Forgot how much i liked those too God damn, the Germans knew how to make some damn fine armour! Thanks for the vid, my thirst for JagdPanther goodness has been temporarily sated

They would seize up, there is a port in the back to use a torch to heat up the engine.

http://tiger1.info/EN/Engine-heater.html

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

Seems smaller than I thought it would be.

Sounded a little different to how i would have imagined to be honest, the King Tiger in PEMM's video sounded how i would have expected the Tiger to sound but they were a little different. Tiger seem more high pitched than i would have thought, almost Gas Turbine like?
    Good please thing... **** ham have 1990