Thread: WW I relicts in Afghanistan

Default WW I relicts in Afghanistan

Hi everyone, On behalf of a german Museum (sorry, i'm not authorized to tell the Name of it) i'm searching for WW I relicts, especially of the Niedermayer/Hentig-Expedition in Afghanistan. Maybe you Afghanistan-veterans have seen some interesting stuff like WWI uniforms, weaponry, equipment etc. of german, austrian or turkish origin. I thank you for any hint! Kind regards Vlx
    Last edited by digrar; 05-13-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: font

I know you could buy some German stuff at the market in KAF, no idea if it was real or not.

I brought back an M16 helmet which was Afghan reissued (holes on both sides for the Afgan crest to be affixed).

Pretty sure I saw some pictures in the markets showing the kind of artifacts you seek in one of the photo threads here. While a lot were most likely fake or not from the era your chasing, amongst were some gems.
    The photos also listed the towns . Any other members remember seeing these pics?

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlx View Post
    Hi everyone, On behalf of a german Museum (sorry, i'm not authorized to tell the Name of it) i'm searching for WW I relicts, especially of the Niedermayer/Hentig-Expedition in Afghanistan. Maybe you Afghanistan-veterans have seen some interesting stuff like WWI uniforms, weaponry, equipment etc. of german, austrian or turkish origin. I thank you for any hint! Kind regards Vlx
    How do we know you are what you claim to be,

you could be out to scam a vet from his hard earned souvenirs.

Particularly when you mention you are seeking items of German / Austrian and Turkish origin.

Connaught Ranger.

I saw old Mauser 98s a few times and, on one occasion, a Maxim MG08.

First attempt at an expedition:-

In an ineffective ruse, the Germans attempted to reach Turkey by traveling overland through Austria-Hungary in the guise of a traveling circus, eventually reaching neutral Romania. Their equipment, arms, and mobile radios were confiscated when Romanian officials discovered the wireless aerials sticking out through the packaging of the "tent poles".

Replacements could not be arranged for weeks; the delegation waited at Constantinople. To reinforce the Islamic identity of the expedition, it was suggested that the Germans wear Turkish army uniforms, but they refused. Differences between Turkish and German officers, including the reluctance of the Germans to accept Turkish control, further compromised the effort. Eventually, the expedition was aborted.

The attempted expedition had a significant consequence. Wassmuss left Constantinople to organise the tribes in south Persia to act against British interests. While evading British capture in Persia, Wassmuss inadvertently abandoned his codebook. Its recovery by Britain allowed the Allies to decipher German communications, including the Zimmermann Telegram in 1917. Niedermayer led the group following Wassmuss's departure.
    Second Expedition:-

The expedition was also provided with gold and other gifts for the Emir, including jewelled watches, gold fountain pens, ornamental rifles, binoculars, cameras, cinema projectors, and an alarm clock . .

Nonetheless, by the second week of August the forced march had brought the expedition close to the Birjand-Mesed road, eighty miles from Afghanistan. Here the Kaiser's bulkier and heavier gifts to the Emir, including the German wireless sets, were buried in the desert for later retrieval.
    also:-
    "In 1969, von Hentig was invited by Afghan King Mohammed Zahir Shah to be guest of honour at celebrations of the fiftieth anniversary of Afghan independence. Von Hentig later penned (in German) his memoirs of the expedition.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niedermayer-Hentig_Expedition
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Have no fear, i'm not a scammer, i'm just a freelancer and not permanently employed. Also this is my private account, therefore i can not tell the name of the Museum . My job is to search for artifacts of oriental german WWI-Expeditions. These relics are to come into a new exhibition about World War I next year. If someone offers me exhibits, then he would also get official post of the Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlx View Post
    Have no fear, i'm not a scammer, i'm just a freelancer and not permanently employed. Also this is my private account, therefore i can not tell the name of the Museum . My job is to search for artifacts of oriental german WWI-Expeditions. These relics are to come into a new exhibition about World War I next year. If someone offers me exhibits, then he would also get official post of the Museum.
    Many of the helmets, weapons, etc..etc.. found today in Afghanistan result from post WW1 arms sales to the Afghan regime and have no connection to the expeditions mentioned above. Many such items came via middle men as is the way of such trades with dodgy "end-user certificates" anything picked up there is going to be hard to prove a direct legitimate connection to the expeditions.

As for any clothing, insignia, medals etc..etc.. seeing as they were trying to flee the country post 21 May 1916 and encountered many difficulties, personal items could be in any one of a million locations, and may not have survived, due to time and weather conditions etc.. etc...

Anybody offering you items must be able to offer concrete provenance of their authenticity, something that is not going to be easy to verify.

In the picture linked it shows some of the members in military uniform, these items in all likely hood were ditched / hidden / destroyed by the men concerned as they tried to flee back to Germany and avoid detection by the Allies. The linked page tells of what happened them and their struggles to survive.
    Last edited by Connaught Ranger; 05-14-2013 at 11:32 AM.