Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child marriage in... Finland

Default Child marriage in... Finland

Maria Kaisa Aula, Ombudsman for Children in Finland hopes that under-16-year-olds not be granted special permits to marry any more, according to Karjalainen.

Aula says it is also important to enquire into what minors themselves think about marriage in order to ensure they are not being pushed into arranged marriages.

According to Karjalainen as well as Sunday newspaper Sunnuntaisuomalainen, dozens of minors get married in Finland annually. The youngest to date has been 12 years old.

The Ministry of Justice grants special permits for minors to marry on exceptional grounds such as pregnancy, religious conviction and cultural reasons. Karjalainen writes that applicants are basically automatically granted marriage permits at present.

Between 1987 and 2011, some 1,500 youngsters aged 14-17 got married in Finland.

According to the United Nations Childrenís Fund Unicef, Finlandís marriage legislation is in violation of childrenísí rights.
    http://yle.fi/uutiset/karjalainen_om...riages/6637788

Damn, I had no idea its that bad. I expected the law would have been used in cases where the kids are close to being adult, one of them gets pregnant and they get married so they can get all benefits and support for their family (like intended).

But no, its now being used to enrich the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by PEMM View Post
    http://yle.fi/uutiset/karjalainen_om...riages/6637788

Damn, I had no idea its that bad. I expected the law would have been used in cases where the kids are close to being adult, one of them gets pregnant and they get married so they can get all benefits and support for their family (like intended).

But no, its now being used to enrich the culture.
    Good point. The original intention was pretty much what you mentioned. In addition, in many circles you had to be married to have children.
    If I remember right, back in the 80's this required a nod from the president.

I don't think the ones who drafted this would have thought that this legislation would someday be used to organize arranged child marriages.
    O tempora o mores...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiski View Post
    If I remember right, back in the 80's this required a nod from the president.
    When they told us about this peculiarity in civics class ten years ago, there was still that requirement to get approval from the president.

I guess they changed that in their attempt to transfer those 'excessive' powers from the president to the cabinet.

I couldnīt believe my eyes when I saw this news. 12 years?????!!!! What the holy ****??? Who ******* gave 12 year old child a marriage licence? And no, being pregnant is not a reason for it. First they should find out why and then take this child into custody. And then beat the crap out of him. Iīm speechless.

Sharia is one hell of law

Well, what exactly did Finland expect would happen?

What are the demographics of these kinds of marriages? Are there tribal societies in Finland where everyone marries young? Or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by AIG View Post
    The law permitting underage marriage with permission was originally established in 1929.

Quote Originally Posted by AIG View Post
    As gumiman said the law was there before, but lets look at the year where this news article started to count the number of under age marriage.

1987: pizza and hamburgers had started to appear outside of Helsinki. There were no refugees to mention and immigrants didn't want to come here, as the country would have been nuked by both east and west in case cold war went south. Days of self-censorship of press and YYA-treaty (that had been renewed few years prior). To get a divorce you had to go to court and prove that your partner had committed an adultery or in other way was at fault for the divorce.

No, I don't think it crossed their minds that in some time people with culture of child marriage would start to move here.

Under 16-year olds!?!? How common is that? In Sweden the law has so far mostly been reserved for young pregnant couples that for religious reasons want to get married first. Although there is talk to scrap the law altogether now since it's regarded to be increasingly used for arranged marriages.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

At least here, these kind of laws are legacy laws from when people just got married earlier as a matter of being, and haven't really been updated.

I think you'll find a lot of European laws and policy continent wide are like this, and unfortunately, people of a certain background abuse it.

Banned user

if its good enough for mohammed

Great... Wasn't this common, when the president had to approve. Maybe he/she actually looked into the case before signing. Now that the ministry "handles" it, what good are applications, if they are approved automatically? Idiocy...

12 years? Damn!!! Europeans won't lecture muslims anymore about child marriages.

Suspended for infractions

Quote Originally Posted by African-European View Post
    12 years? Damn!!! Finns won't lecture muslims anymore about child marriages.
    Fixed. 10chars