Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panther walks

Banned user

Default Panther walks

[FONT=Lucida Console][*******#000000]O[/COLOR][/FONT]ne of sixteen world live Panthers of the Museum of Kubinka (Russia) going to a walk on June, 20th, 2013!
    It's the unique Tank with completely original petrol engine Maybach HL 230 P45.
    PzKpfw V Ausf. G has a colouring of 5th tank division СС «Wiking».
    Experts from the Moscow factory "ZIL" worked on the tank long time and have recovered it.
    Photos from the first tank trip on Museum territory.

[SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]Other technics having walk...
    [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

**** yeah !! I love it's roughness over some other restored Panthers... bleeding' awesome

It is really perfect to see that living history still perfect condition. Btw so nice color though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

What is this vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    What is this vehicle?
    PT-76 light tank.

Stunning! Looks just as if it only left Wehrmacht service yesterday! The T-34's not so much, they are far too clean

Jadgpanther, Tiger, Panther, Comet and Stug III. My favourite AFV's of the war

Panther is most beautyful tank of all time, i've loved it since i was a kid . Thanks for sharing.

... looted from Germany!

GIV BACK!!!!

is that rust on the turret, or left-over zimmerite?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by wiking View Post
    It's not rust. It's left-over zimmerit... I think experts will restore zimmerit later.

Quote Originally Posted by wiking View Post
    that is funny as exactly the question I was going to ask also. Also were the tactical numbers really that large originally? They seem awfully large, or strange in some manner, can't quite put my finger on it other than the size.

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    that is funny as exactly the question I was going to ask also. Also were the tactical numbers really that large originally? They seem awfully large, or strange in some manner, can't quite put my finger on it other than the size.
    Although it does mention that individual units did deviate, this article has a good write-up on Heer tactical numbering. It seems that, oficially, roman numerals were not used. The weathering on the numbers would suggest that if they're not original, they've been there for a while.

While the tactical number system varied somewhat from unit to unit, the style and color of the tactical numbers differed dramatically. During the early years of the war, the tactical numbers were often painted on small, rhomboid metal plates attached to the sides and rear. Later, the numbers were painted directly on the turret or superstructure. A 1944 order specified the following style:

• DIN numbers (see below).
    • 30 centimeters tall.
    • Five centimeters wide, with a three centimeter black inner number, with a white, one centimeter outline.
    • Numbers were to be located on the sides and read, in the following locations:
      • Sd Kfz 251:
        • Sides: On the upper armor plate, with the middle of the number approximately two meters before the rear end. The Balkenkreuz was placed on the stowage boxes, below the number.
        • Rear: On the middle of the upper armor plate (or, on the Ausf. D, at the same height as the side number), across the door opening, with the Balkenkreuz on the lower armor plate.

• Sd Kfz 250 (early):
        • Sides: On the rear upper armor plate, just before the rear end. The Balkenkreuz was placed at the front upper armor plate, just after the front end.
        • Rear: centered at the same height as the side number, above the Balkenkreuz.

• Sd Kfz 250 (late): As the Sd Kfz 251.
      • Armored reconnaissance cars: At both sides at the rear armor plates of the turret.
      • Sturmgeschütz III:
        • Without Schürzen: On both sides of the superstructure, behind the Balkenkruez.
        • With Schürzen: Centered on the upper half, above the Balkenkreuz.

• Jagdpanzer 38:
        • Sides: Centered on the superstructure, with the Balkenkreuz on the Schürzen.
        • Rear: Centered above the Balkenkreuz.

• Jagdpanzer IV: Centered on the superstructure sides, with the Balkenkreuz on the Schürzen.
      • Jagdpanther: Centered on the superstructure sides and rear, above the Balkenkreuz.
      • Elefant: Centered on the superstructure sides and rear, above the Balkenkreuz.
      • Marder I, Marder II, and Marder 38T: Centered on the superstructure sides and rear (where applicable). Balkenkreuz was place either below, in front of, or after the tactical number.
      • Nashorn: Centered on the superstructure sides and rear, above the Balkenkreuz.

http://www.panzerworld.com/tactical-numbers

Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    Although it does mention that individual units did deviate, this article has a good write-up on Heer tactical numbering. It seems that, oficially, roman numerals were not used. The weathering on the numbers would suggest that if they're not original, they've been there for a while.

http://www.panzerworld.com/tactical-numbers
    thank you Sir! so it appears the numbers on the Panther shown do not comply with the above specs. I remember now the black inner markings surrounded by white outline etc. and 5cm equals about 2 inches for number width. The Panther tactical numbers are way out of whack (for German WWII era) (most I remember had maybe 3 numerals)

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    thank you Sir! so it appears the numbers on the Panther shown do not comply with the above specs. I remember now the black inner markings surrounded by white outline etc. and 5cm equals about 2 inches for number width. The Panther tactical numbers are way out of whack (for German WWII era) (most I remember had maybe 3 numerals)
    As the OP mentions, Wiking was a SS division, and it seems their numbering scheme was somewhat different, at least as far as I can find on the internet, and it seems it did historically use white tac numbers. I've not seen Roman numerals in use though.

Tom of Mumbai's fluffer ubermensche's Avatar
    On a beach, having a nice BBQ with Marine SEALs.

Ah man, I just love Panthers! I wish I could own one someday. That would be my ultimate goal in life.