Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-enactments of Battle of Ge ttysburg (150th anniversary; 1-3 July 2013)

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow Re-enactments of Battle of Ge ttysburg (150th anniversary; 1-3 July 2013)

AP via The San Jose Mercury News, 06/21/2013

http://tinyurl.com/ltjuvff

Original link (corrupted by profanity filter):
    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...tle-*****sburg

Two re-enactments will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Civil War's Battle of Ge[*******#000000]t[/COLOR]tysburg in Ge[*******#000000]t[/COLOR]tysburg, Pa. Each re-enactment group expects more than 10,000 participants at their events, with war buffs donning wool uniforms and bearing weapons—firing blanks—appropriate for the time. Living history and educational presentations, along with bands playing period music, are also on the schedule.

The re-enactments will take place on private properties on the weekends bookending the actual July 1-3 battle anniversary. Official events at Ge[*******#000000]t[/COLOR]tysburg National Military Park begin June 30.

IF YOU GO

Blue-Gray Alliance re-enactment: More than 10,000 Civil War buffs are expected to gather for the first of the two battle re-enactments, which an organizer boasts is "like no others of its size and scale. It is by re-enactors for re-enactors."

WHEN: June 28-30.

WHERE: Bushey Farm, 1845 Pumping Station Road, Ge[*******#000000]t[/COLOR]tysburg, Pa.

TICKETS: $10 for one day, $20 for two days. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult but do not need tickets.

Ge[*******#000000]t[/COLOR]tysburg Anniversary Committee re-enactment: The organization said it had more than 10,000 participants registered by early June and expected 135 cannon and about 400 horses for an event in which "those dusty old history books will come alive."

WHEN: July 4-7.

WHERE: Redding Farm, 1085 Table Rock Road, Ge[*******#000000]t[/COLOR]tysburg, Pa.

TICKETS: In advance tickets range from $35 for one day to $90 for all four days for those 13 and older; $15 to $40 for children 6 to 12, children 5 and younger free. Grandstand seating $15 to $60. Prices higher at the gate.
    Damn, I wish I could go see that.

Like to see it myself.

Man wearing those heavy woolen uniforms in that heat.

Ancient hatreds and modern weapons, that's my kind of show -George Carlin

*****sburg is on my bucket list. Hope to see Normandy next summer. What is it with the profanity filter that you can't say G*ttysburg?

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    *****sburg is on my bucket list. Hope to see Normandy next summer. What is it with the profanity filter that you can't say G*ttysburg?
    Long time lurker here, like really long time - hence how I think I remember this. But, IIRC there was an issue with g-e-t-t-y images and hotlinking a few years back.

geat first post... i really mean it! usually you get some idiotic douchebag trolling.

welcome on board!

I am going it's only 2 hours away from me. I haven't bee to G-burg in some time though.

Arrow

Thanks to the mod who fixed the thread title.

Years ago I was there in a real hot July.
    I walked the Picketts Charge attack from the beginning to the high ground.
    That had to have been one of the most foolish miliary maneuvers in history.
    Those guys were simply thrown into a meat grinder.

I have 4 or 5 cousins who will be taking part in the ceremonies/battles as reenactors. Sounds like it will be epic!

Arrow

I expect to at least see a good documentary or three coming out of this reenactment. The footage should be epic, indeed.

been there twice. We went one year for a couple of days. There is so much to see there. We went back the next year to see some more. I could go back again, there are still some things to see. You could easily spend an entire week there.

when the blitzkreig reigned & the bodies decorated with xmas lights..

while I was stationed in North Virginia, my wife and I visited many civil war battlefields, including the Bull Run VA battlefield (site of two battles) in July and us being from Texas we thought we could take the heat, but it was hot and humid there beyond belief!

Keep in mind many of those in those battles and re-enactors wore wool uniforms....I have no idea how they were able to bear the heat to fight. No wonder they were all skinny as a rail. Some of those reenactors call themselves "button pissers" as they whiz on their brass buttons to give them the right color and patina. They adore sweat stains, body odor and anything that makes them more authentic to the period. Really dedicated folks with humor.

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    while I was stationed in North Virginia, my wife and I visited many civil war battlefields, including the Bull Run VA battlefield (site of two battles) in July and us being from Texas we thought we could take the heat, but it was hot and humid there beyond belief!

Keep in mind many of those in those battles and re-enactors wore wool uniforms....I have no idea how they were able to bear the heat to fight. No wonder [*******"#FF0000"]they were all skinny as a rail[/COLOR]. Some of those reenactors call themselves "button pissers" as they whiz on their brass buttons to give them the right color and patina. They adore sweat stains, body odor and anything that makes them more authentic to the period. Really dedicated folks with humor.
    This is going to sound douchey and insensitive, but the only thing that put me off when watching the movie was seeing so many heavy-set reenactors in their mid-40s or early 50s as extras in the Confederate ranks. Other than that, kudos to them for the enthusiasm and knowledge.

when the blitzkreig reigned & the bodies decorated with xmas lights..

Quote Originally Posted by miguelencanarias View Post
    This is going to sound douchey and insensitive, but the only thing that put me off when watching the movie was seeing so many heavy-set reenactors in their mid-40s or early 50s as extras in the Confederate ranks. Other than that, kudos to them for the enthusiasm and knowledge.
    Well, many of those old fat/heavy set guys, who do the re-enacting, the reason is that it takes a lot of money to buy all the correct uniforms, firearms, etc to do the re-enacting. So many of the reenactors are middle age to old, and are heavy set as they work in an office all day sitting on their rear ends and eat a lot. Most Americans eat more than we should. I think I have put on 10 to 15 lbs in the last 10 months or so myself.

But in reality, the above reason, is correct IMO, that the older guys are typically heavy and they are the ones who can afford the disposable income to purchase the uniforms, rifles, bayonets, period correct shoes, period correct glasses, period correct everything from swords to belts and socks.

I could be wrong but that is how I perceive it.

(and in all the old photos from 1861-65 of soldiers, 95% of them were skinny guys, as they were mostly farmers who had joined the army, especially the southerners)

Last edited by commanding; 10-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.