Thread: Sergeant Stubby: WWI US Hero War Dog

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

Default Sergeant Stubby: WWI US Hero War Dog

I stumbled on Sergeant Stubby after reading about Pit Bulls serving the military (I'm a Pitty lover). After doing some digging I got more information on him. The little fella is a bad ass.

Sergeant Stubby (1916 or 1917 April 4, 1926), was the most decorated war dog of World War I and the only dog to be promoted to sergeant through combat. America's first war dog, Stubby served 18 months 'over there' and participated in seventeen battles on the Western Front. He saved his regiment from surprise mustard gas attacks, found and comforted the wounded, and even once caught a German spy by the seat of his pants (holding him there until American Soldiers found him). Back home his exploits were front page news of every major newspaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Stubby

One day he appeared at Yale Field in New Haven, Connecticut; while a group of soldiers were training, stopping to make friends with soldiers as they drilled. One soldier, Corporal Robert Conroy, developed a fondness for the dog. He named him Stubby because of his short legs. When it became time for the outfit to ship out, Conroy hid Stubby on board the troop ship. In order to keep the dog, the private taught him to salute his commanding officers warming their hearts to him.

Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 18 battles. The loud noise of the bombs and gun fire did not bother him. He was never content to stay in the trenches but went out and found wounded soldiers.

Stubby entered combat on February 5, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Schieprey, Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches.

He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. The spy made the mistake of speaking German to him when they were alone. Stubby knew he was no ally and attacked him biting and holding on to him by the seat of his pants until his comrades could secure him.

Following the retaking of Chateau-Thierry by the US, the thankful women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals.

Here he is with General Pershing, the general officer in the United States Army who led the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I.

After returning home, Stubby became a celebrity and marched in, and normally led, many parades across the country. He met Presidents Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Warren G. Harding. Starting in 1921, he attended Georgetown University Law Center with Conroy, and became the Georgetown Hoyas' team mascot. He would be given the football at halftime and would nudge the ball around the field to the amusement of the fans.

There is also a legend that while in Paris with Corporal Conroy, Stubby saved a young girl from being hit by a car. At the end of the war, Conroy smuggled Stubby home.

Stubby was made a life member of the American Legion, the Red Cross, and the YMCA. In 1921, the Humane Education Society awarded him a special gold medal for service to his country. It was presented by General John Pershing.

Great story and great post. Thanx.

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyeye View Post
    Great story and great post. Thanx.
    You're welcome.

This dog and the carrier pigeon Cher Ami http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami are on displayed stuffed at the National Museum of American History.

thanks for sharing.

I am likely one of the few here who had heard of Sgt. Stubby prior to your thread. A buddy of mine told me about him some time ago. My friend's unit had a "unit dog" named and with a uniform of sorts while he was stationed with the US Army in South Korea in the mid 1960s.