Thread: Need help with identifying tank-related equipment

Default Need help with identifying tank-related equipment

Some pictures of newer North Korean MBTs show something on the turret which I (since I'm nowhere near an expert in these kind of things) can't identify.

Does anyone know what the rightmost "pole" of sorts is on this picture:
    http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/8...nkcrewsw02.jpg
    And this one on the right too:

Maybe somekind of snorkel device?

Thanks in advance.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Unicus Ac Immortalis II Dark Avenger's Avatar

I think it's some sort of met data sensor for the fire control system.

Thank you for your quick reply! Additionally, is the center sensor-like device perhaps an IR-sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Joskip View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply! Additionally, is the center sensor-like device perhaps an IR-sensor?
    Supposedly its based off the British Chieftans FCS via Iran.

Supposedly its based off the British Chieftans FCS via Iran.
    Thank you, that does indeed look very similar and the reports are there.

Could you elaborate on that? I've found some asian tanks (such as the Chinese MBT-3000, joint Chinese/Pakistani MBT-2000 and Indian Arjun II) have similar looking systems, I'm however unable to find what they do and how common this system is.

Unicus Ac Immortalis II Dark Avenger's Avatar

Meteorological data sensors, also known as crosswind sensors or simply wind sensors, measure wind speed and direction, as well as ambient temperatures, in order to enable the tank's fire control system, which receives the data, to make the necessary calculations to compensate for crosswind interference and the like, thus increasing first-shot hit probability.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Avenger View Post
    Meteorological data sensors, also known as crosswind sensors or simply wind sensors, measure wind speed and direction, as well as ambient temperatures, in order to enable the tank's fire control system, which receives the data, to make the necessary calculations to compensate for crosswind interference and the like, thus increasing first-shot hit probability.
    Great! Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Joskip; 08-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Avenger View Post
    That on looks quite large to be meteo sensor. There is a shorter tube with a bit smaller diameter on the centerline of the turret. That could be the the housing for the meteo sensor, the actual meteo sensor pops out. This larger thing you were talking about can be something different. Like a laser warring receiver. It does look too big for that role too, but I don't have any other candidates.
    As a reference you can look at M-84 tank (ex-Yugoslavian tank based on T-72). Have a look at some of M-84A4 or Degman versions you will find meteo sensor just after the gun and the LWR on the rear end of the turret.
    Some Iranian tanks use the same FCS as the M-84 series, too. So this could be a crude reverse engineered copy of LIRD system.

http://ddsv.hr/tenk_degman.html#
    http://www.fotona.com/en/non-medical...rning-systems/