Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Repeating/Auto Handgun with seperate ammunition?

  1. #1
    L O L A JCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    disinformation central
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,622

    Default Repeating/Auto Handgun with seperate ammunition?

    A weird question came up yesterday in a discussion after a few beers...

    Has anyone ever invented a rifle/handgun with seperate ammunition?
    Like a bullet and a small "powder bag" loaded seperately as with most artillery?
    I mean people have invented all sorts of stupid things for handguns like GyroJets etc, but I haven't heard of that one.
    I mean since it eliminates the cartridge it could have some use.

  2. #2
    "Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"
    Age
    37
    Posts
    22,565

    Default

    If you didn't want to spray brass all over the place, wouldn't you just use a revolver? Seems easier than going back to a powder and shot scenario.

  3. #3
    King of the Klunge gaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Here be monsters.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,625

    Default

    I believe Heckler and Koch invented an automatic rifle where the bullet was embedded in a solid block of propellant. They weren't loaded seperately but there was no need for a casing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    4,269

  5. #5
    L O L A JCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    disinformation central
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digrar View Post
    If you didn't want to spray brass all over the place, wouldn't you just use a revolver? Seems easier than going back to a powder and shot scenario.
    It was just a question that came up discussing firearms.
    We thought people had invented square bullets, caseless ammo, small rockets, Revolvers with open chambers, so why not powder and shot?
    We couldn't really come up with a exact reason why, but just out of curiousity.
    Maybe being able to fire "half charge" or being able to select different types of shot.
    But why?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    It was just a question that came up discussing firearms.
    We thought people had invented square bullets, caseless ammo, small rockets, Revolvers with open chambers, so why not powder and shot?
    We couldn't really come up with a exact reason why, but just out of curiousity.
    Maybe being able to fire "half charge" or being able to select different types of shot.
    But why?
    That has been invented. We call them muskets. They were really big until someone invented brass cartridges which are better in many many ways.

  7. #7
    Member BMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    719

    Default

    1st generation revolvers were separate loading. a shooter would pack each cylinder w/ loose powder and a lead round using a built-on ram rod, then place a percussion cap on the head of each cylinder. once all 6 rounds were loaded and the weapon was placed into battery, it functioned just like any single action revolver. if you look at pictures of older revolvers, you'll see the distinctive attached ramrod. A good pair of examples would be the Colt 1851 Navy (picture attached)
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

  8. #8
    No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Watching
    Age
    51
    Posts
    40,715

    Default

    Usually loaded 5 chambers and carried with the hammer down on the empty chamber....

  9. #9
    Senior Member ~UNiOnJaCk~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMF View Post
    1st generation revolvers were separate loading. a shooter would pack each cylinder w/ loose powder and a lead round using a built-on ram rod, then place a percussion cap on the head of each cylinder. once all 6 rounds were loaded and the weapon was placed into battery, it functioned just like any single action revolver. if you look at pictures of older revolvers, you'll see the distinctive attached ramrod. A good pair of examples would be the Colt 1851 Navy (picture attached)
    The old Civil War revolvers have always caught my eye the most. Something incredibly elegant about them.

  10. #10
    Deserter Soldat_Américain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Borderlands with Nantan Lupan
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,227

    Default

    O/T the link to the Ferguson Rifle brought me back to my middle school years when I read all things Louis L'Amour.

  11. #11
    No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Watching
    Age
    51
    Posts
    40,715

    Default

    Not sure what a British rifle from the time of the American Revolution has to do with cowboys...

  12. #12
    Deserter Soldat_Américain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Borderlands with Nantan Lupan
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    Not sure what a British rifle from the time of the American Revolution has to do with cowboys...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ferguson_Rifle

    I'm sure you know the Sackett's series as well...and the beginning weren't "westerns.e"

  13. #13

    Default

    Problem is if the propellant is ignited by some malfunction it will explode more spectacular than a gun with catridge and malfunction.

  14. #14
    L O L A JCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    disinformation central
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeiJoa View Post
    Problem is if the propellant is ignited by some malfunction it will explode more spectacular than a gun with catridge and malfunction.
    The risk that it could blow up spectacularly has never stopped inventors from inventing

  15. #15
    Senior Member Gleipnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    the calling darkness
    Posts
    6,019

    Default

    The LeMat revolver was a .42 or .36 caliber cap & ball black powder revolver invented by Dr. Jean Alexandre LeMat of New Orleans, which featured an unusual secondary 16 gauge smooth-bore barrel capable of firing buckshot.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •