Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeating/Auto Handgun with seperate ammunition?

Default Repeating/Auto Handgun with seperate ammunition?

A weird question came up yesterday in a discussion after a few beers...

Has anyone ever invented a rifle/handgun with seperate ammunition?
    Like a bullet and a small "powder bag" loaded seperately as with most artillery?
    I mean people have invented all sorts of stupid things for handguns like GyroJets etc, but I haven't heard of that one.
    I mean since it eliminates the cartridge it could have some use.

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

If you didn't want to spray brass all over the place, wouldn't you just use a revolver? Seems easier than going back to a powder and shot scenario.

I believe Heckler and Koch invented an automatic rifle where the bullet was embedded in a solid block of propellant. They weren't loaded seperately but there was no need for a casing.

Quote Originally Posted by digrar View Post
    If you didn't want to spray brass all over the place, wouldn't you just use a revolver? Seems easier than going back to a powder and shot scenario.
    It was just a question that came up discussing firearms.
    We thought people had invented square bullets, caseless ammo, small rockets, Revolvers with open chambers, so why not powder and shot?
    We couldn't really come up with a exact reason why, but just out of curiousity.
    Maybe being able to fire "half charge" or being able to select different types of shot.
    But why?

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    It was just a question that came up discussing firearms.
    We thought people had invented square bullets, caseless ammo, small rockets, Revolvers with open chambers, so why not powder and shot?
    We couldn't really come up with a exact reason why, but just out of curiousity.
    Maybe being able to fire "half charge" or being able to select different types of shot.
    But why?
    That has been invented. We call them muskets. They were really big until someone invented brass cartridges which are better in many many ways.

1st generation revolvers were separate loading. a shooter would pack each cylinder w/ loose powder and a lead round using a built-on ram rod, then place a percussion cap on the head of each cylinder. once all 6 rounds were loaded and the weapon was placed into battery, it functioned just like any single action revolver. if you look at pictures of older revolvers, you'll see the distinctive attached ramrod. A good pair of examples would be the Colt 1851 Navy (picture attached)
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Usually loaded 5 chambers and carried with the hammer down on the empty chamber....

Quote Originally Posted by BMF View Post
    1st generation revolvers were separate loading. a shooter would pack each cylinder w/ loose powder and a lead round using a built-on ram rod, then place a percussion cap on the head of each cylinder. once all 6 rounds were loaded and the weapon was placed into battery, it functioned just like any single action revolver. if you look at pictures of older revolvers, you'll see the distinctive attached ramrod. A good pair of examples would be the Colt 1851 Navy (picture attached)
    The old Civil War revolvers have always caught my eye the most. Something incredibly elegant about them.

O/T the link to the Ferguson Rifle brought me back to my middle school years when I read all things Louis L'Amour.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Not sure what a British rifle from the time of the American Revolution has to do with cowboys...

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    Not sure what a British rifle from the time of the American Revolution has to do with cowboys...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ferguson_Rifle

I'm sure you know the Sackett's series as well...and the beginning weren't "westerns.e"

Problem is if the propellant is ignited by some malfunction it will explode more spectacular than a gun with catridge and malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by MeiJoa View Post
    Problem is if the propellant is ignited by some malfunction it will explode more spectacular than a gun with catridge and malfunction.
    The risk that it could blow up spectacularly has never stopped inventors from inventing

The LeMat revolver was a .42 or .36 caliber cap & ball black powder revolver invented by Dr. Jean Alexandre LeMat of New Orleans, which featured an unusual secondary 16 gauge smooth-bore barrel capable of firing buckshot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver