Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: USAF orders more A-10 replacement wings

  1. #1
    Senior Member -Max2-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    an obscure forum
    Posts
    2,442

    Default USAF orders more A-10 replacement wings

    Came across this :

    [SIZE=3]Boeing to Build 56 Additional A-10 Wings for US Air Force[/SIZE]

    ST. LOUIS, Sept. 4, 2013 Boeing will continue improving U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II mission readiness, and decreasing maintenance costs, through a follow-on order for 56 replacement wings for that aircraft.

    Boeing is on contract to build up to 242 wings, including these, at its plant in Macon, Ga. Refitting the fleet with new wings will improve the mission availability of A-10s by an estimated 4 percent and will help save the Air Force an estimated $1.3 billion in maintenance costs during the next 30 years.

    This latest order is valued at $212 million. Including this agreement, the Air Force has ordered 173 wings. The efforts of Boeing, its suppliers, and the Air Force will allow the A-10 fleet to operate into 2035.

    http://boeing.mediaroom.com/Boeing-t...r-US-Air-Force

    Interesting news with the rumors going around about the Air Force plan to retire the A-10 in the near future, possibly as early as next year. Those rumors were maybe unfounded after all cause i dont see the USAF investing on a type that is on its way out of the inventory. Or are they that stupid ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Awesome news!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member tommyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rockies
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Let's face it, we need to build more of these suckers. Break out the tooling where ever it is and get the line going again.

  4. #4
    Member TxAg94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Imagine how awesome a brand new build A-10 would be with all the improvements that have been made over the years.

  5. #5
    Senior Member -Max2-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    an obscure forum
    Posts
    2,442

    Default

    Not sure the A-10 tooling still exists as Fairchild Republic went bankrupt a long time ago.

  6. #6
    Not Goat Roping Shermbodius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Let er rip, tater chip!
    Posts
    17,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Max2- View Post
    Not sure the A-10 tooling still exists since Fairchild Republic went bankrupt a long time ago.
    Shoot, reverse engineer!

  7. #7
    Senior Member tommyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rockies
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Max2- View Post
    Not sure the A-10 tooling still exists as Fairchild Republic went bankrupt a long time ago.
    I'm sure it's somewhere. This stuff never completely disappears.

  8. #8
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Smooth as a porcupine.
    Posts
    26,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
    Let's face it, we need to build more of these suckers. Break out the tooling where ever it is and get the line going again.
    Probably been to China, recycled, and shipped all over the world by now.

    Quote Originally Posted by TxAg94 View Post
    Imagine how awesome a brand new build A-10 would be with all the improvements that have been made over the years.
    Except you know what would happen. They'd demand it be stealthy ($$$), be packed full of electronics ($$$), no gun, and be unmanned. They'd spend $20 billion and then cancel it when they realized what they'd written the requirement for was a Reaper.

  9. #9
    Senior Member tommyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rockies
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Probably been to China, recycled, and shipped all over the world by now.



    Except you know what would happen. They'd demand it be stealthy ($$$), be packed full of electronics ($$$), no gun, and be unmanned. They'd spend $20 billion and then cancel it when they realized what they'd written the requirement for was a Reaper.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Spacepope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In the badlands
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Max2- View Post
    Not sure the A-10 tooling still exists as Fairchild Republic went bankrupt a long time ago.
    Most tooling is owned by the USAF, not the company. The wing tooling was most likely brought out of storage at DMAFB/AMARG. The other stuff is probably still there too.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Elbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Pollos Hermanos
    Posts
    5,835

    Default

    Considering they're still getting rid of F-111 tooling and jigs, I'm sure the A-10 stuff is still around.

  12. #12
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Smooth as a porcupine.
    Posts
    26,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacepope View Post
    Most tooling is owned by the USAF, not the company. The wing tooling was most likely brought out of storage at DMAFB/AMARG. The other stuff is probably still there too.
    They don't always keep the tooling though. I posted a picture of the X-47B's out rusting in the weather in another thread. F-14's is history. Comanche's went to the bombing range. . .

  13. #13
    Senior Member Spacepope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In the badlands
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    They don't always keep the tooling though. I posted a picture of the X-47B's out rusting in the weather in another thread. F-14's is history. Comanche's went to the bombing range. . .
    Yes well, there's no need for the F-14 or Comanche or X-47B tooling since there is no plan to build more and there are none in service (X-47B is retired now, no?)

    Here's a fun article on the B-1 and it's tooling. Go to page 16 to see where it went

    http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bo...b-factbook.pdf

  14. #14
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Smooth as a porcupine.
    Posts
    26,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacepope View Post
    Yes well, there's no need for the F-14 or Comanche or X-47B tooling since there is no plan to build more and there are none in service (X-47B is retired now, no?)

    Here's a fun article on the B-1 and it's tooling. Go to page 16 to see where it went

    http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bo...b-factbook.pdf
    Probably learned their lesson on the B-52 I work with a guy who's done engineering work on B-52 support and they had to completely reverse engineer and requalify stuff on that. Not the most efficient way to go about things.

  15. #15
    Senior Member G-AWZT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,163

    Default

    The A-10; "It's a Mother Beautiful plane Moriarity"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •