Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TPD subjected woman to 'police brutality' during DUI arrest

Default TPD subjected woman to 'police brutality' during DUI arrest

A woman who suffered a broken orbital bone in her face and other injuries during her arrest on a DUI charge was the victim of police brutality, her lawyer said.

Christina West, 44, was arrested in the early morning hours of Aug. 10 by officers with the Tallahassee Police Department after she crashed her vehicle into a house on Kilkenny Drive, according to police reports.

A dashboard camera inside a TPD vehicle captured the arrest on video, which was obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat. The video shows West’s head being slammed against a police car before she is taken forcefully to the ground.

“I was shocked to see this,” said her attorney, Fred Conrad of Tallahassee. “I would never have expected that out of my police department. By and large, most of my officers that I deal with at the Tallahassee Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office are all professional and good cops, folks that I would feel very comfortable with in the event that I needed them as a citizen. This was disturbing. I could not believe that I saw that happening in Tallahassee, Florida.”

Conrad said he intends to pursue compensation for West, though he didn’t explicitly say he would be filing a lawsuit.

“I can say I intend to pursue just compensation for Ms. West,” he said. “And I can say I intend to do it relentlessly. I intend to make the police department pay for this. This is wrong. And they need to pay for it.”

Conrad said the video raises concerns about officer training at TPD.

"I question the type of training and policies in place at TPD that would lead officers to believe this type of behavior is acceptable," he said, "especially in front of two sergeants who were only a few feet away."

Tallahassee City Commissioner Scott Maddox says the city could be facing a "substantial" lawsuit involving a 44-year-old woman who was subjected to use of force by police officers during a DUI-related arrest.

The incident happened in the early morning of Aug. 10, when Tallahassee police officers responded to a woman who reportedly drove her car off the road and into a home in Killearn. The woman, Christina West, was arrested on a charge of DUI and several counts of battery on a law-enforcement officer.
    more in link:
    http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...utors?gcheck=1

Ooosh, they put her down hard. Go out driving pi$$ed and bad things can happen.

Wow he really showed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    Wow they really showed her.
    Fyp. I'm 6'3 and if those two threw me down like that I'm pretty sure I'd be walking funny for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose_Hates_You View Post
    Fyp. I'm 6'3 and if those two threw me down like that I'm pretty sure I'd be walking funny for a few days.
    Withtout a doubt.
    FYP?

Withtout a doubt.
    FYP?
    Fixed your post. Instead of 'he' I changed it to 'they'.

Fixed your post. Instead of 'he' I changed it to 'they'.
    Ah. Yeah I was mostly talking about Mr. Don'tyou****ingtouchme.

My heart bleeds for this woman who attempted to commit murder. Caught drunk driving? Should bloody well break her hands to make sure she wouldn't hold a steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive View Post
    My heart bleeds for this woman who attempted to commit murder. Caught drunk driving? Should bloody well break her hands to make sure she wouldn't hold a steering wheel.
    Murder? She isn't even being charged with assault or battery which was the intitial justification for having her orbital bone shattered. The city commisioner is even saying she was "Completely non-aggressive."

She is charged with a DUI. Not murder. And she gets a day in court. We do not hand out iron age justice in the streets. We are a nation of laws. She almost certainly broke some and will be punished but not with broken bones.

Now the city is almost certainly going to pay a large sum of money as restitution and I would bet dimes to donuts she gets a slap on the wrist for the DUI and destruction of property.

Pending an IA investigation the cops involved face an uncertain future for her being "Placed on the ground" and being "Overcome by force."

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Ooosh, they put her down hard. Go out driving pi$$ed and bad things can happen.
    They should have capped her yo.

Quote Originally Posted by beNder View Post
    They should have capped her yo.
    Yo? I expected more from you old bean. I think the body slam was enough. Mmmm, asphalt tastes nutty.....

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Pretty piss poor police work. She was compliant, they had her in the vehicle. They went out of their way to antagonize her for *****s and giggles and then got way too agro on the takedown. I've arrested lots of drunks before and 90% of the time you can control them verbally with professional attitude and by being a little bit patient for chrissakes.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Yo? I expected more from you old bean. I think the body slam was enough. Mmmm, asphalt tastes nutty.....
    I was just clowning. CJ summed it up nicely.

She just made a lot of money.

Murder? She isn't even being charged with assault or battery which was the intitial justification for having her orbital bone shattered. The city commisioner is even saying she was "Completely non-aggressive."

She is charged with a DUI. Not murder. And she gets a day in court. We do not hand out iron age justice in the streets. We are a nation of laws. She almost certainly broke some and will be punished but not with broken bones.

Now the city is almost certainly going to pay a large sum of money as restitution and I would bet dimes to donuts she gets a slap on the wrist for the DUI and destruction of property.

Pending an IA investigation the cops involved face an uncertain future for her being "Placed on the ground" and being "Overcome by force."
    Attempted murder. She was drunk behind the wheel of a car, she could've killed someone, and all there are here are bleeding hearts that this person who probably could've tossed a poor kid down a block off of her bumper got a bit rustled up.

But anyways, that's my grumbles for the thread. Yes, I know, pretty flawed, but I really don't care much for drunk drivers at all.