Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Israel could field Arrow 3 missile shield earlier than planned

  1. #1
    Senior Member Laker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,573

    Default Israel could field Arrow 3 missile shield earlier than planned

    Analysis of the Arrow 3 ballistic missile interceptor test performed early this year suggests that Israel will be able to shorten the time required to achieve operational status with the system, Israeli sources say.

    http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...lanned-390535/

    Very good. It will be even cheaper than the Arrow 2. Btw,according to reports,it will have the capability to take out satelites. Israel will be one of few countries with such capability.

  2. #2
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Smooth as a porcupine.
    Posts
    26,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker1 View Post
    Btw,according to reports,it will have the capability to take out satelites.
    What reports?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    What reports?
    You can find link to that report (in .pdf) in arrow 3 wiki page

  4. #4
    Senior Member Shelldraken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker1 View Post
    Btw,according to reports,it will have the capability to take out satelites. Israel will be one of few countries with such capability.
    Presumably only to low earth orbit but that will be enough to take out any satellites for imagery companies selling targeting info to Hezbollah and similar.

  5. #5
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Smooth as a porcupine.
    Posts
    26,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel44CZ View Post
    You can find link to that report (in .pdf) in arrow 3 wiki page
    Only one I saw said, "could be adapted to" not "will be capable of". Big difference.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Arrow 3 is designed to deal with what class of BM ? Is it similar in capability to THAAD thats designed to deal with 3000 km class BM ?

    What is the known altitude and range of Arrow 3 compared to similar capability offered by Arrow 2

  7. #7
    Senior Member Laker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    It's an exo-atmospheric interceptor(it can reach an attitude of around 100KM)and i believe that it will be able to take out missiles with the range of 3000 KM,but i'm not sure in 100%.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    3000 km would make it similar to THAAD...... why didnt Israel go for THAAD system considering they deploy Patriot

  9. #9
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Smooth as a porcupine.
    Posts
    26,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker1 View Post
    It's an exo-atmospheric interceptor(it can reach an attitude of around 100KM)and i believe that it will be able to take out missiles with the range of 3000 KM,but i'm not sure in 100%.
    Okay so it's much less than THAAD. THAAD has 150km+ altitude capability and can also hit targets inside the atmosphere.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BlackWarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The land of UAVs and homus
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Exact altitude of the Arrow 3 is classified, what Laker should have said is that it can reach an altitude of more than 100Km, and the reason Israel didn't went for THAAD is mainly the fact that one THAAD cost as much as three Arrow-3 missiles and a bit more than one Arrow-2+ one Arrow 3 missiles.

    Warder

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    At least the IDF is getting funding for something these days

  12. #12
    Senior Member Laker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Never said it wasn't capable. Just that it didn't have the reach or versatility of THAAD.
    For threats with shorter range you have the Arrow 2. Arrow 3 is only a new missile,it's not a new system from zero. Soldiers in the command and control room will decide which interceptor to launch-Arrow 3 or Arrow 2.
    Last edited by Laker1; 09-16-2013 at 04:08 PM.

  13. #13
    On Belay... Climb on Climber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buenos Aires in body, the beautiful and green Sharon in my heart
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Never said it wasn't capable. Just that it didn't have the reach or versatility of THAAD.
    THAAD is American made, it HAS to be BETTER.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    THAAD is likely better in its interception altitude i.e from 40 km to 150 km .....have probably longer range 200 km compared to Arrow 3.

    THAAD Multfunction Radar has a range of 4000 km operating in X band and Arrow 3 Super Greenpine has a range of 900 km operating in L band.

    Today THAAD is deployed system.

    Arrow-3 is designed for Israel Specific needs does not need the long leg and sensors of Kill Vehical is more sophisticate and Kill vehical is more manouverable in space.

  15. #15
    On Belay... Climb on Climber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buenos Aires in body, the beautiful and green Sharon in my heart
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinJ View Post
    THAAD is likely better in its interception altitude i.e from 40 km to 150 km .....have probably longer range 200 km compared to Arrow 3.

    THAAD Multfunction Radar has a range of 4000 km operating in X band and Arrow 3 Super Greenpine has a range of 900 km operating in L band.

    Today THAAD is deployed system.

    Arrow-3 is designed for Israel Specific needs does not need the long leg and sensors of Kill Vehical is more sophisticate and Kill vehical is more manouverable in space.
    If you are answering me, you are spitting in the ocean.

    My post is for Puffy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •