Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Default Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

I watched that Anthony Bourdain show last night for a couple of hours, he was in Myanmar and Congo respectively...It's absolutely shocking how everything about their infrastructure went completely to hell in the absence of the colonial powers...The old footage they showed reminded me of that brief film someone posted of Lebanon in the 60's and how beautiful it was then. Yes, I realize that King Leopold wasn't exactly a sweet guy and there were horrors visited upon the population during the colonial period in Congo, but oddly enough, more than one of the educated Congolese referred to that period as "the golden time" when everything actually worked...The British pulled out of Burma in 1948 I believe and everything has been decaying since...They haven't allowed most foreigners in there for the last 50 years apparently...It's tragic to see.

The other thing I noticed was that Anthony Bourdain drinks beer constantly...

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    I watched that Anthony Bourdain show last night for a couple of hours, he was in Myanmar and Congo respectively...It's absolutely shocking how everything about their infrastructure went completely to hell in the absence of the colonial powers...The old footage they showed reminded me of that brief film someone posted of Lebanon in the 60's and how beautiful it was then. Yes, I realize that King Leopold wasn't exactly a sweet guy and there were horrors visited upon the population during the colonial period in Congo, but oddly enough, more than one of the educated Congolese referred to that period as "the golden time" when everything actually worked...The British pulled out of Burma in 1948 I believe and everything has been decaying since...They haven't allowed most foreigners in there for the last 50 years apparently...It's tragic to see.

Sounds like a good watch. Nice to see someone open to the alternative side of decolonisation as opposed to the usual 'nasty old imperialists ruined the world' tripe. So many misguided opinions about imperialism, colonialism and the eventual withdrawal process it beggars belief.

Was the show part of a series or just a one off?

maybe Bourdain drinks beer in lieu of clean water? I know the early American colonists drank booze because the water wasn't fit to drink.

for one thing, not all "colonial powers" are the same. some did better than the rest.

it's not unversally true, but a former colony would fared better today if the colonial power gradually given up the colony to independence. so local will have time to readjust and learn more from their former master on how to run a new nation. you can see that most commonwealth countries (those that were under british rule) did well today.

if the local takes arms and throw them white imperialist(though some, like the belgian, deserved what's coming to them), it always left a vacuum to fill. then corrupt "generals" and warlords comes in, thus effing up the entire country.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

He probably does commanding. It just cracked me up that he's always drinking beer. He and a friend took a 10 hour train trip in Burma and there were beer cans all over the table between them.

It's a regular show on CNN. New episode is on tonight, he's going to be in Jerusalem.

They showed the giant agricultural research facility the Belgians started in the middle of no where. There is one librarian that still tries to keep the collection of books and research intact. But they haven't had electricity for about 20 years, no power to run the dehumidifiers, it's like a time capsule that's being reclaimed by the jungle. There is nothing left but abject poverty and ignorance in most of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanami_tard View Post
    for one thing, not all "colonial powers" are the same. some did better than the rest.

it's not unversally true, but a former colony would fared better today if the colonial power gradually given up the colony to independence. so local will have time to readjust and learn more from their former master on how to run a new nation. you can see that most commonwealth countries (those that were under british rule) did well today.

if the local takes arms and throw them white imperialist(though some, like the belgian, deserved what's coming to them), it always left a vacuum to fill. then corrupt "generals" and warlords comes in, thus effing up the entire country.
    Agreed, and they do try to make that distinction in the show...

It's a regular show on CNN. New episode is on tonight, he's going to be in Jerusalem.

They showed the giant agricultural research facility the Belgians started in the middle of no where. There is one librarian that still tries to keep the collection of books and research intact. But they haven't had electricity for about 20 years, no power to run the dehumidifiers, it's like a time capsule that's being reclaimed by the jungle. There is nothing left but abject poverty and ignorance in most of the country.
    Nice, i hope they show it over here some time. It is interesting to make the comparisons today between the states in which the decolonisation was more or less successful respectively. I mean you can draw your own conclusions from what you see but i think the majority of the evidence suggests that decolonisation and indeed imperialism worked for the most part when left to its own devices/was allowed to run its own course without 3rd party interference. Unfortunately the Cold War put pay to a great many potential success stories which is sad really. The Congo is most definitely one of the sorriest situations by far.

Saw it too.

I like Bourdain's culinary show. and just in case you haven't noticed yet, he always drinks. a lot...

He drank even more on No Reservations. I like the new show too, although I could do without some of the politics injected into the narrative.

His two books, Kitchen Confidential and Medium Raw, are hilarious/interesting, and his antics back when he was a cokehead/heroin junkie make for some crazy stories...

Bourdain loves the sauce, for sure. From his book, he had a serious drug issue at one time.

One bit of advice he gave I follow always: If you go to a restaurant and the bathroom is filthy, leave. Bathrooms are easy to clean, kitchens are hard to clean. If the bathroom looks bad chances are the kitchen is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCode View Post
    One bit of advice he gave I follow always: If you go to a restaurant and the bathroom is filthy, leave. Bathrooms are easy to clean, kitchens are hard to clean. If the bathroom looks bad chances are the kitchen is worse.
    And don't order fish on Mondays....

I've watched a docu about the German colonies some time ago and no matter if somewhere in the Pacific or in Africa the general tenor was "we know about the atrocities but it still were the golden times".

He also likes to smoke dope...a lot. When I see Bourdain I automatically think of Howard Marks.

I like AB's shows. Specially No Reservations. But I haven't watched a lick of this new one.

One thing I learned while travelling to places where I don't think the local water is any good is just to drink beer instead. Morning, noon and night.

For Queen and Country Roy Batty's Avatar

Tony is one of my personal hero's. He's a great chef, a great entertainer and a pretty good novelist as well.

Weapons Expert! I play video games ragnarok's Avatar

He is an interesting character, I'll give him that. Saw him when he was doing No Reservations and I immediatly like how he did the show; some history of the local populace here, some jokingly cynical remarks there, add in some good looking dishes of foodstuffs and always end it with a discussion of how the trip went and go through some philisophical disscussion about how that land's future with sum up to be with an air of realism. IMHO, he did a kickass job with the Haiti episode.