Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The National Maritime Museum of London denied a loan to the Naval Museum of Madrid

Banned user

Default The National Maritime Museum of London denied a loan to the Naval Museum of Madrid

On the occasion of an exhibition on the admiral Blas de Lezo, the Museo Naval de Madrid asked the National Maritime Museum temporal cesion of the portrait of Admiral Vernon, de Lezo rival in several fights since his days as midshipmen. After initial contacts and procedures and know the theme of the exhibition, the British Museum refused the loan of the painting.
    http://www.abc.es/cultura/20130916/a...309151937.html (spanish link)

Last edited by churruca; 09-16-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by churruca View Post
    On the occasion of an exhibition on the admiral Blas de Lezo, the Museo Naval de Madrid asked the National Maritime Museum temporal cesion of the portrait of Admiral Vernon, de Lezo rival in several fights since his days as midshipmen. After initial contacts and procedures and know the theme of the exhibition, the British Museum refused the loan of the painting
    And...? I'm sure they are quite within their rights to not loan out their own property, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by harghill1718 View Post
    And...? I'm sure they are quite within their rights to not loan out their own property, or am I missing something?
    Apparently it s now some perceived national insult?

First they refuse to give back Gibraltar and now they refuse to loan out these paintings of a spanniard! Evil imperialists!

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Pirata!

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Probably United Kingdom. Blas de Lezo led against Vernon the main British naval defeat in Hispanic America. Cartagena, 1741.

Banned user

The National Maritime Museum is on his right not lend the picture, but it is certainly an extremely childish attitude...

Quote Originally Posted by frostilicus View Post
    The National Maritime Museum is on his right not lend the picture, but it is certainly an extremely childish attitude...
    I don't see how it can be definitively asserted as childish without knowing the reasons of motivations behind refusing the loan. This sort of last minute refusal or cancellation happens all the time with items of historic value, particularly those that are considered 'culturally important' for whatever means. Reasons for cancellation could be something as simple as an inability to guarantee shipping security or even insurance issues and it would be ill advised to even attempt to suggest it is politically motivated at this stage.

Banned user

The picture loans between museums, is a totally common practice in the world, what is really strange is to deny the loan...

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    . Reasons for cancellation could be something as simple as an inability to guarantee shipping security
    Sweet Jesus, I guess you will not say this seriously .

Spanish Museums, exchange art pieces with the most important Museums of the World each year.

Sweet Jesus, I guess you will not say this seriously .

Spanish Museums, exchange art pieces with the most important Museums of the World each year.
    It is case specific. Reputation is no guarantor, and FYI i was referring to '3rd' parties with that particular comment anyway.

Banned user

Then, if the motive is political, it is certainly a childish reason, that is not up to the greatness of the UK IMHO, and a bad precedent for future relations, for two allied countries.

Then, if the motive is political, it is certainly a childish reason, that is not up to the greatness of the UK IMHO, and a bad precedent for future relations, for two allied countries.
    Like i said though, the move being political is one of the least likely reasons at current. Looking for reasons to make the move political is certainly clutching at straws too for whoever will inevitably try and make it so, regardless of actual reasons.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    Like i said though, the move being political is one of the least likely reasons at current. Looking for reasons to make the move political is certainly clutching at straws too for whoever will inevitably try and make it so, regardless of actual reasons.
    Well, can you give me your personal opinion on this matter? You can give me some "actual reason" for this strange negative?

Well, can you give me your personal opinion on this matter? You can give me some "actual reason" for this strange negative?
    For all you or I know the National Maritime Museum is preparing to use the portrait itself in an exhibition. Its not particularly strange for museums to deny other museums artifacts if they want to use them themselves, and its not really news. No English sites are reporting it, and a quick google shows two Spanish sites that have no idea and a blog.