Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Textron AirLand Introduces Scorpion ISR/Strike Aircraft

Default Textron AirLand Introduces Scorpion ISR/Strike Aircraft

Textron AirLand Introduces Scorpion ISR/Strike Aircraft
    by Business Wire via The Motley Fool Sep 16th 2013 7:21AM
    Updated Sep 16th 2013 7:22AM

Commercially developed, affordable platform to satisfy broad range of U.S. and partner nations defense needs.

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Textron AirLand, LLC, a joint venture between Textron Inc. (NYS: TXT) and AirLand Enterprises, LLC, today unveiled its Scorpion prototype, a versatile Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR)/Strike aircraft platform. The aircraft was introduced during a press conference at the Air Force Association Air & Space Conference and Technology Exposition in National Harbor, Maryland.

The demonstration aircraft is now in test phase, with first flight scheduled to occur before the end of this year—a rapid schedule by any measure of military jet development. Textron Chairman and CEO Scott Donnelly said, "We began development of the Scorpion in January 2012 with the objective to design, build and fly the world's most affordable tactical jet aircraft capable of performing lower-threat battlefield and homeland security missions." Donnelly continued, "We relied on commercial best practices to develop a tactical jet platform with flexibility and capabilities found only in far more costly aircraft."

The Scorpion is designed to accommodate the increasingly stringent budget constraints of the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. partner nations. The Scorpion's design is well matched to the Air National Guard's missions such as irregular warfare, border patrol, maritime surveillance, emergency relief, counter-narcotics and air defense operations. While Scorpion's lower acquisition price is an advantage, an equally important benefit is the lower cost of operation over the aircraft's full lifecycle. Combining ease of maintenance and globally-available commercial components, the Scorpion can significantly lower the customer's total cost of ownership.
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/09/...srstrike-airc/

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...t-cutting-era/

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.as...8-aadbddef4fa6

http://www.scorpionjet.com/

Such a strange aircraft. Aesthetically it looks like a blend of more than a handful of different designs. Looks quite good all the same though. I wonder if anything productive will come out of it?

So, it's basically a jet-engined Tucano?

Very interesting though

I like it, but not sure if it will be bought. If I were a relatively impoverished nation from the target market I'd trust tried and tested cheap airframes over a completely new frame and design.

Quote Originally Posted by harghill1718 View Post
    I like it, but not sure if it will be bought. If I were a relatively impoverished nation from the target market I'd trust tried and tested cheap airframes over a completely new frame and design.
    And 'affordable' can be such a broad term

Banned user

Strange bird.
    I know say this is sacrilege, but maybe an A-10 substitute in CAS role

Dont have internal cannon?

"Cessna", "light twin jet capable of ISR and strike" and "low operating costs" sound a lot like a future T-38 replacement offer in the making.

I mean I'd buy it. Don't know if a first-world military would, but I wouldn't mind having my own private strike aircraft.

Suspended for infractions

alpha jet redux?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    "Cessna", "light twin jet capable of ISR and strike" and "low operating costs" sound a lot like a future T-38 replacement offer in the making.
    Ummm, Im not sure, the T-38 is a supersonic trainer, this plane seems subsonic (straight wings)

By the way, I always wanted to see this "strange one" in action...

Love it. This is Cessna's long-awaited replacement for their A-37B.

• Perfect for the dozens of air forces currently operating A-37Bs, L-39s, MB-326/339s, or OV-10s in the COIN role.

• Far superior to the $12-20MM Super Tucano (range/speed/payload/survivability), and hopefully price competitive thanks to Cessna's economies of scale

• Probably the only possible A-10 replacement in the CAS role (without blowing the budget).

A 25mm GAU-22 cannon should fit easily in that massive payload bay. Hope the USN/Marines express an interest... imagine if was navalised from the get go - possible OV-10/S-3 Viking replacement?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by H_K View Post
    Love it. This is Cessna's long-awaited replacement for their A-37B.

Perfect for the dozens of air forces currently operating A-37Bs, L-39s, MB-326/339s, or OV-10s in the COIN role.

Far superior to the $20MM Super Tucano (range/speed/payload), and hopefully price competitive thanks to Cessna's economies of scale
    Probably the only possible A-10 replacement in the CAS role (without blowing the budget).

A 25mm GAU-22 cannon should fit easily in that massive payload bay. Hope the USN/Marines express an interest... imagine if was navalised from the get go - possible S-3 Viking replacement?
    A successful analysis, I'm agree with you, this is a potentially COIN aircraft too

How would it in anyway be comparable in price to a tucano or any other turbo prop trainer derived AC? Turbo props replaced jet based trainers for the express reason they are much cheaper to operate, that and its twice as heavy with twice the engines as a tucano or at-6.

Quote Originally Posted by H_K View Post
    A 25mm GAU-22 cannon should fit easily in that massive payload bay. Hope the USN/Marines express an interest... imagine if was navalised from the get go - possible OV-10/S-3 Viking replacement?
    What about weight of the cannon and ammo? Could it handle it?

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

A couple of videos: