Thread: Medak Pocket Canada's Forgotten Battle

For Queen and Country Roy Batty's Avatar

Default Medak Pocket Canada's Forgotten Battle

MEDAK, CROATIA—Canadian veteran Rob Deans is still haunted by the shell-scarred ruins and forgotten landmines of Croatia’s Medak Pocket.

It’s been 20 years since he was last here, but not a day goes by when he doesn’t think about this place.

“I can picture the trees, the path, the burning garage, everything,” says Deans, who is returning to Croatia this week. “I want to stand on that ground again and remember the lessons and what we did. It’s my touchstone.”

In September 1993, Deans and nearly 900 of his fellow Canadian soldiers fought a forgotten battle in a brutal war.

The Battle of Medak Pocket should have been celebrated as a story of Canadian heroism. Instead a pivotal moment in the country’s history became one of its lost chapters.

Now, two decades later, combatants and victims alike want the story told........
    Read the rest at link

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/...en_battle.html

There was not a word of this in our press back then for obvious purposes. The media didn't want to portray the Croats as fighting the good guys, such a story would only confuse the public.

Lest We Forget

Sounds similar to Georgia 2008 but peacekeepers did not have anyone to save them.

Banned user

There is like seven threads here about Medak Pocket and a shit load of controversy and conflicting reports from the 'battle'.

Retired Royal Danish Army colonel Vagn Ove Moebjerg Nielsen, UNPROFOR commanding officer in the area at the time, testifying at the Ademi–Norac trial, denied that there was any armed conflict between the Canadian and Croatian troops except for a single incident when the Canadians deployed in front of Serb-held positions. Croatian Army fired shots, but the Canadians did not return fire. He added that the firing stopped when Croats realized that they are engaging the UN force
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Medak_Pocket
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AWZT View Post
    There was not a word of this in our press back then for obvious purposes. The media didn't want to portray the Croats as fighting the good guys, such a story would only confuse the public.
    Or maybe there was no battle?

I don't know but very conflicting reports.

Just merged a couple of Medak threads in Photos & Vids and bumped them...

Banned user

Thanks Royal.