Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EU police officer killed in Kosovo

Default EU police officer killed in Kosovo

A European Union police officer has been shot dead while on patrol in Kosovo, the first casualty since the EU took over security in 2008.

The Eulex mission condemned the "act of cowardly violence" and said a murder investigation had been launched.

It said two vehicles, carrying six staff members, came under fire in the Mitrovica area of northern Kosovo. The dead officer has not been named.

The town of Mitrovica is split between ethnic Serbs and Kosovo Albanians.

"At approximately 07:30 local time (05:30GMT), two vehicles carrying six staff members came under fire in the vicinity of Zvecan town," Eulex said.

"No effort will be spared in bringing the perpetrator to justice."

A spokeswoman for the EU mission, Irina Gudeljevic, told the BBC it was the first time a member of the Eulex force had been killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24158153

EULEX staff members have been manning check points on the border with Serbia, which has angered hardline Serbs who view the border control as confirmation of Kosovo's independence.

Joint border patrols have been negotiated in EU-brokered talks between Serbia and Kosovo. The former foes signed an agreement normalizing ties in April.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...oting-20302334

Beta news agency said the killed policeman was shot in the head and stomach. The policeman was reportedly from Lithuania. RIP...
    Last edited by Edin; 09-19-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Rest in Peace

My sympathy and condolences to his family and friends

It will maybe sound naive but why the northern part where the serbs are the majority are not given back to serbia? After all, the justification of the kosovo war was precisely because the province was made of a majority of albanians, so following this logic the northern part should also have the right so get out of kosovo and get back to serbia? Then the EU police and NATO forces could finally pull out of here..

Btw, Rip officer.

Getting ripped in mp.net's insanity thread!

Quote Originally Posted by IronLionZion View Post
    It will maybe sound naive but why the northern part where the serbs are the majority are not given back to serbia? After all, the justification of the kosovo war was precisely because the province was made of a majority of albanians, so following this logic the northern part should also have the right so get out of kosovo and get back to serbia? Then the EU police and NATO forces could finally pull out of here..

Btw, Rip officer.
    It seems to me no one is interested in solving the issue in that way, or any other. AFAIK it is to stay like this ad infiitum.
    Not that that has anything to do with killing police. That is more likely a mafia connection than nationalists (pure speculation on my part.)

RIP to the officer, hope the crims are brought to justice.

Btw, Rip officer.
    Returning it to serbia for an exchange of albanian enclaves in serbia would be the most sensible, probably the only solution. the problem ist that the international actors are reluctant to start shifting borders yet again for fear of precedent. pandoras box thingy

Quote Originally Posted by wacaff View Post
    Returning it to serbia for an exchange of albanian enclaves in serbia would be the most sensible, probably the only solution. the problem ist that the international actors are reluctant to start shifting borders yet again for fear of precedent. pandoras box thingy
    Imo the pandora box was opened in 91.. But I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by wacaff View Post
    It's not about that. The thing is that EU and US won't allow important European corridor to fall into the hands of Muslims. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by zellnik View Post
    It's not about that. The thing is that EU and US won't allow important European corridor to fall into the hands of Muslims. Simple as that.
    No its not.

This thing shows that only police structures of Serbia are capable to provide law & order in that part of Kosovo , when EULEX need Serbian police they call them. Why not station few police on permanent basis? They will offer best protection they could get.

RIP officer

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    It seems to me no one is interested in solving the issue in that way, or any other. AFAIK it is to stay like this ad infiitum.
    Not that that has anything to do with killing police. That is more likely a mafia connection than nationalists (pure speculation on my part.)
    Yes, it`s funny Serbian and Albanian mafia cooperate pretty well and when they are squeezed they coat themselves in flags , nationalism defends dirty money in someone pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by zg18 View Post
    This thing shows that only police structures of Serbia are capable to provide law & order in that part of Kosovo , when EULEX need Serbian police they call them. Why not station few police on permanent basis? They will offer best protection they could get.
    X2. Serbian police should enforce law where serbs are the majority. it sounds logical to me.

Rest in Peace to the officer. Condolences to their friends, family and loved ones.

X2. Serbian police should enforce law where serbs are the majority. it sounds logical to me.
    If you mean from Serbia proper, then good luck getting the Kosovans agreeing to that. Currently around 15% of Kosovo police are ethnic Serbs, which roughly matches the ethnic Serb population concentrated in the North.

RIP to the officer, mafia killing would be my guess too.

Quote Originally Posted by zellnik View Post
    Sorry, but I can't see how Northern Kosovo is an important European corridor. As far as I know, there aren't even any highways. Or are you reffering to something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverhind View Post
    RIP to the officer, mafia killing would be my guess too.

Sorry, but I can't see how Northern Kosovo is an important European corridor. As far as I know, there aren't even any highways. Or are you reffering to something else?
    Its not, and there are far more practical reasons than supposed institutional racism for not supporting the redrawing of borders etc as I'm sure you know too.

Quote Originally Posted by harghill1718 View Post
    If you mean from Serbia proper, then good luck getting the Kosovans agreeing to that. Currently around 15% of Kosovo police are ethnic Serbs, which roughly matches the ethnic Serb population concentrated in the North.
    Ethnic Serbs in Kosovo police =//= Serbian police. Look , like in Bosnia , only Albanians can control their dogs* and only Serbs can control their dogs*. It`s simply a fact.

*dog= mafiosi , extremists whatever