Page 1 of 22 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: OSU Campus Police aquire an MRAP

Default OSU Campus Police aquire an MRAP

http://reason.com/blog/2013/09/19/oh...-armored-milit
    Ohio State University Gets Armored Military Vehicle, Repeatedly Dodges Questions About It

Zenon Evans|Sep. 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Ohio State University campus police (OSU PD) recently acquired what appears to be a Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected (MRAP) vehicle to add to their fleet. Several attempts to contact the university have garnered little information about why a vehicle, which was specifically designed for asymmetric warfare, is needed on campus.The Daily Caller was first to report on the story. They contacted Gary Lewis, OSU's senior director of media relations, who boasted that “OSU’s campus cops are 'the first agency in the state to acquire such a vehicle'.” However, he and the OSU PD dodged specific questions about the armored vehicle.
    I called the campus police and redirected to Deputy Chief of Police Richard Morman, who did not answer. I was informed that Chief of Police Paul Denton was also unavailable. After calling five numbers down OSU's public relations masthead, manager Jane Carroll answered.
    “It's already noon,” she informed me, “which to be totally realistic, [makes] it a really tall order” to get any details. I said I had several specific questions, and was told someone would call back.
    Instead, communications director Lindsay Komlanc sent a generic email.
    She wrote that “we already use the same type of vehicles borrowed from other law enforcement agencies at major events,” which seems to contradict Lewis' claim about being the first agency in the state to own one.
    Komlanc also insisted that OSU PD have been “involved in responding to active shooting situations in the Columbus area as well as on campus.” However, the extent of OSU PD's involvement in any active shooter situation has likely been limited, since the only recent shooting was in 2010, when a janitor shot his supervisor and then himself before officers were on the scene. Additionally, the effectiveness of an MRAP in such a situation remains unclear, as a Secret Service report says that shootings are usually resolved in under 15 minutes. Likewise, long before acquiring the bomb-proof vehicle, the OSU PD repeatedly stated that it is prepared for an active shooter situation.
    The email explained that the vehicle is also needed for natural disaster relief. Komanc cited past events that would have benefited from the MRAP, such as tornado that occurred at OSU's Wooster campus, which is nearly 100 miles away from where the 14-ton, 11-mpg vehicle is actually stationed. Again, the school contradicts itself, as OSU PD asserted long before they got the MRAP that they were prepared specifically for the disasters Komanc mentions. Also, numerous reports show that the entire state of Ohio is among the safest places from all shades of natural disasters.
    Among the questions that remain unanswered is whether any the campus police are qualified to operate an MRAP. Even the Marine Corps, which requires personnel to get specific training and a unique license for the vehicle, encountered many problems ranging from specialized mechanical knowledge for maintenance, to frequent rollovers, and the inability to “pursue the enemy off-road, in confined areas, or across many bridges.”
    I know Michigan fans can be brutal, but I don't think they plant IEDs.

I can honestly say that i will ever understand the supposed need for low level US civil agencies to acquire military spec equipment. No, this is not a flame post in case any mistakes it as such; it is a genuinely odd thing for me.
    Last edited by ~UNiOnJaCk~; 09-19-2013 at 07:53 PM.

They're surplus vehicles DRMO damn near will give them away to various agencies for penny's on the dollar

inb4 "POLICE STATE USA"

the hell do college cops need with an MRAP???

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

I say they got one because it's awesome...

They gotta roll those rowdy college parties on Fraternity Row somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_G View Post
    As has been pointed out, it was probably eitehr free, or dirt cheap. It also comes in handy for things like riot control, active shooter, and hostage situations, and well know those never happen on college campuses.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_G View Post
    When I saw the title, I thought OSU in Corvallis Oregon. I know some there is some strong feelings about the Oregon Civil war football games between OSU vs UO, but this would be ........ If I got to drive it, fun.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
    As has been pointed out, it was probably eitehr free, or dirt cheap. It also comes in handy for things like riot control, active shooter, and hostage situations, and well know those never happen on college campuses.
    Well, I was thinking either that or it would make an awesome float for the homecoming game/party.

My father's WWII unit, the 87th Infantry Division JUNKHO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laconian View Post
    Well, I was thinking either that or it would make an awesome float for the homecoming game/party.

hell they should sell those surplus MRAPs to civilians, would make the commute to work easier (except for the fuel).
    Seriously I guess they could be used in lieu of bomb disposal trucks they make for LE work, as well as the usual recovery of wounded LE as in the Waco standoff, the LA shootout etc.

Zune Free At Last FlintHillBilly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    They're surplus vehicles DRMO damn near will give them away to various agencies for penny's on the dollar
    Quoted in case someone missed it. Why get anything else if this is dirt cheap at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKHO View Post
    Good one Junky! you have a good mind to think of that one! Spot on. all they need is John Belushi with his pirate sword. Ramming speed!

Ha ha... For carrying essential personnel into Detroit metro for the game with the Wolverines.....

Really, do you need an MRAP to retrieve alcohol-poisoned students from the frat house parties?