Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine urination video incident

Default Marine urination video incident

I subscribe to the print edition of The Marine Corps Times. In this week's edition there was an interview with Cpl. (formerly Sgt.) Rob Richards, who was one of the Marines disciplined. He provided a little context. A Marine had been killed by an IED previous to the urination incident and the Marine's leg was hung from a tree. After weeks of observation they killed the individual responsible and two of his comrades.

"What really led up to it is they desecrated one of our Marines. When you're under that much stress and in that environment, your whole mental being changes. You're no longer Joe the Family Man. You're a warrior...since the dawn of time men have been doing this to men....

They were apparently ordered to bring the bodies back and in the process decided to urinate on the bodies. One of the members shot the video. He subsequently stepped on an IED and lost a leg and had to be sent home. Someone, who remains unidentified, when packing up and inventorying his gear stole the video and put it out on youtube.

Richards expressed frustration with Marines who have criticized him and his buddies, especially if they haven't served in combat.

"They join the Marine Corps for the T-shirt, you know? They're always going to be the loudest, most obnoxious, because deep down they know they didn't do a godd*mn thing. And it's those Marines who are still ridiculing us and calling us pieces of sh** and a disgrace to wear the uniform. My response to them is, 'What have you done?'"

While reduced in rank Cpl. Richards is being being allowed to medically retire, which is extremely important since he continues to have health related issues due to wounds from a previous deployment.

Interestingly, another probable factor for the fallout is General Amos met with the entire platoon while he was in Afghanistan, so he was vicariously linked to the platoon. Over the summer the scout/sniper platoon recorded more than 230 confirmed kills, while Richard's team recorded more than 70. Essentially, General Amos congratulated them on their success and asked them to write down what they did to achieve so much success.

I just thought I would offer Cpl. Richard's perspective. I think he was an excellent Marine. I hope everything works out for him in the future.

I don't think any sort of context excuses this type of behavior, but I wouldn't call them disgraces to the uniform. I think they were basically knuckleheads who made a pair of bad decisions - peeing on a dead guy and letting themselves be filmed doing so. An NCO should've put a stop to it, not participated.

I agree they acted like knuckleheads for videotaping it, but Marines have been pissing on dead enemies for over a century. I'm ambivalent about their actions. They needed to be punished, but the entire disciplinary actions initiated out of the Commandants office has been reactionary and over the top.

In my judgment, the Commandant should have protected those Marines from the politics generated by the situation and not turned it into a legal circus that's still ongoing after more than two years.

*&(%$ internet provider.

This whole thing should have been handled via NJP; totally FUBAR.

Unfortunately, he doesn't feel regret of what he did!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    This whole thing should have been handled via NJP; totally FUBAR.
    And it would have 30 years ago. But the internet and digital recording means every stupid little thing can become a major issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelldraken View Post
    And it would have 30 years ago. But the internet and digital recording means every stupid little thing can become a major issue.
    Yup. Imagine if people took pics of guys cutting off ears and prying out gold teeth back in the day...

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yup. Imagine if people took pics of guys cutting off ears and prying out gold teeth back in the day...
    Agree!! Remember My Lai massacre in Vietnam war??? This peeing incident is nothing compared to that!!

Quote Originally Posted by devilchien0105 View Post

"...if the infidel touches the bodies they're not going to Mecca..."

It seems he doesn't know his enemies so well... nor the culture of the country where he's suppose to win hearts and minds of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hugh Shelton's book describes that happening, said they found similar things done to them as a result. Goes on a bit about that, can't remember tho.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by devilchien0105 View Post
    And why the living fuck should he?

The taping was dumb, the **** who stole the tape should punished for putting it on the internet, but regret? After seeing his mates get killed or severely wounded he doesn't have to regret shit.

You send men out to war this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIsLife View Post

The taping was dumb, the **** who stole the tape should punished for putting it on the internet, but regret? After seeing his mates get killed or severely wounded he doesn't have to regret shit.

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by LoboCanada View Post
    Hugh Shelton's book describes that happening, said they found similar things done to them as a result. Goes on a bit about that, can't remember tho.
    IIRC, US troops have been under a microscope for a long time and their mistakes and misdeeds are never forgotten while the enemy is often ignored even when their actions are much greater than those of the US troops.

Example is My Lai. While people can point to the punishment of those involved was not fitting the crime, they where punished. The slaughter of 5,000 civilians by the Viet Cong and North Viet-Namese Army generally gets a free ride. Those members of the VC and NVA where never punished and their barbaric acts was supported by their command structure.

The barbaric actions of the Taliban does justify misconduct by our troops, it does give a insight to why some may commit acts like this. The fine and reduction in rate is more punishment than any Taliban will receive for those horrible acts that they inflict on others.

The over politicization/faux rage of this, IMHO, is not for justice or humanity, but to exploit a wrongful act that is no way as sever as what the enemy commits. So the question is why?

I am in agreement with KB, what wrong those Marine committed was not greater than what should have been handle at the company level. Going beyond that was done for other reasons.

You buy me drinkie [RNZE]Sapper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIsLife View Post

After reading the context, I can understand why they did it. But it still doesn't excuss the behaviour. Not for any "we're better then them" type of reasoning. It was a break down of discipline. Simple as that. The boss tell you to not touch the third tree from the left, you don't touch it. The fact that he alluded that it was someone else that uploaded the video, therefore implying that they wouldn't have uploaded it, means that they knew it was wrong. Yet they still did it. And that needs to be punished. I don't give a **** what damage it might have done to US-Islamist relations.