Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto 5 under fire for graphic torture scene (spoiler alert)

Default Grand Theft Auto 5 under fire for graphic torture scene (spoiler alert)

Grand Theft Auto V, one of the most expensive computer games ever made, has caused outrage among human rights groups for including a torture scene in which the player must pull teeth and electrocute an unarmed man.

Freedom from Torture joined Amnesty, teachers' union the ATU and MP Keith Vaz in condemning the scene, just two days after the release of the game.

Players of the 18-rated game become career criminal Trevor Phillips, and in a mission within the game called 'By the Book' are commanded by the FBI to torture an alleged terrorist for information.

Players must complete the scene to finish the game and are offered a selection of torture implements, including sledgehammers and electric cables to use on the victim. If his heart stops, a shot of adrenaline restarts it.

Following the scene, the character drives the witness to the airport while lecturing his victim on how torture is a technique for exerting power.

“Rockstar North has crossed a line by effectively forcing people to take on the role of a torturer and perform a series of unspeakable acts if they want to achieve success in the game," said Freedom from Torture chief executive Keith Best.

"Torture is a reality, not a game and glamorizing it in popular culture undoes the work of organizations like Freedom from Torture and survivor activists to campaign against it.

Labour’s Keith Vaz added that he was “astonished at the level of violence depicted”, while the release also prompted Alison Sherratt, president of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, to warn that young children watching their siblings play may not be able to tell that it is fictional.

“The graphics are so realistic that little ones don’t think what they’re watching is a game," she said. "Four to five-year-olds have a tendency to copy what they see on TV, whether it’s this or Fireman Sam putting out fires.

“ATL is not calling for a ban on these games, or censorship at all. What we are asking is for parents to become aware that the little ones are seeing these things.”

But the most recent installment has faced a different level of protest with critics arguing that the series, normally cynical and satirical in tone, misses its mark at times

The Grand Theft Auto series isn’t new to criticism, being a frequent target of attacks by campaigners who claim its content is violent and sexist.

Jack Thompson, a now-disbarred attorney in the state of Florida, brought several lawsuits against Take Two, the game’s publisher, calling GTA IV “the gravest assault upon children in this country since polio”.

Jeff Gerstmann of gaming site Giant Bomb claims that much of the writing “feels expected and unadventurous, hardly the biting satire that it felt like in past outings”.

In the run up to the launch, reviewers discussed a strain of misogyny that runs through the game.

In one in-game mission set in a ***** club puts players have to grope *****pers while avoiding the bouncer’s attention. In a review, editor of gaming site Gamespot Carolyn Petit argues that defending the scenes under the guise of satire is wrong-headed.

“Yes, these are exaggerations of misogynistic undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones. With nothing in the narrative to underscore how insane and wrong this is, all the game does is reinforce and celebrate sexism.”

Petit also said the game was undermined by its moments of "hypocrisy and inconsistency", and said the suggestion with the torture scene was that it was a comment on the use of waterboarding and interrogation techniques by the US.

"But the fact that Trevor tortures the man regardless, and that he does end up spilling more information as a result, sends a very different message."

Game designer, theorist and academic Ian Bogost is one who has defended attacks on the game. "GTA is the easy, go-to bad example in discussions of games as culture," he said.

"It's certainly a characterization that underestimates the meaning and impact of the series, but nevertheless, among the general public GTA is a shorthand for prurience and abhorrence."

Freedom from Torture's Best is unimpressed with whatever satirical comment Rockstar has attempted to make.

"This adds insult to injury for survivors who are left physically and mentally scarred by torture in the real world," he said.

"If Rockstar North’s message is a satirical critique of the practice of torture, it’s lost on us.”

Rockstar was contacted for comment.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/18/grand-theft-auto-5-under-fire-for-graphic-torture-scene

Last edited by AroundTheCorner; 09-20-2013 at 01:01 AM.

If you let your kids play this game you deserve to be disemboweled by them.

This news only makes me want to buy the game more... Especially if I was 10 years younger.

“The graphics are so realistic that little ones don’t think what they’re watching is a game," she said. "Four to five-year-olds have a tendency to copy what they see on TV, whether it’s this or Fireman Sam putting out fires.
    thats bull****, she does't know what happens in child's mind when playing a game. "The little ones" are more than aware that they are playing a game.

Another marketing campaign, all the kids will want to play the game with torture in it.

I understand their reason to be shocked. You can have *** with hookers, drink alcohol, get high, steal cars, murder people but once you torture someone it's bad.

The reason for the Forum minimum age limits Quakecry's Avatar

The devs say they make games for adults. If kids watch this then its no one but their parents fault. Not even worth listening to the dude, he just wants PR.

Considering the guy doing the torturing makes a speech after saying how torture is useless...

Maybe the answer is to not let young children play a game rated 18 and over. Also, tell your kids that video games aren't real life.

I think these protesters should sack up and go find out who released nerve gas in Syria or something. Or go flip burgers so hungry people can eat.

...in which the player must pull teeth and electrocute an unarmed man.
    Well, it is a tad difficult to pull the teeth of an armed person, I've found...

But yes, to think that a mature video game with an 18+ rating should be meant for... *gasp* ...mature audiences? It just boggles the mind!

EdisonTrent
    If you let your kids play this game you deserve to be disemboweled by them.
    I would let my kids play this game if they wanted to, no harm in a little sanitized animated violence. I don't play into the fears of MSM and give into their malarkey by shielding my kids from quality entertainment. Who am I to deny them the right of happiness and joy they get from fulfilling their dreams of torturing a helpless, innocent, fearful man.

Besides kids today are too soft, they need to harden up. Between watching Jihadist-beheading videos online, and castrating pigs on the farm, they need to take a breather and play some GTA 5... Tough love, for a tough world.

[*******#FFFFFF]...I don't have kids[/COLOR]

After banning pixel**** for over 25 years, including games where you had to imagine the violence because they had such ****ty graphics, these censorship whores have the guts to use "graphics" as an argument ???

I want to pull their teeth and electrocute them, and on top make a little Reservoir Dogs dance with gasoline around them

Just as you shouldnīt let watch Hostel the movie your 5 year old kid, you should do the same with video games. And if you donīt like it, donīt buy. Every here and now article likes this pops out, its getting tiresome.

I think it shows clear double standards that there's this big moral outcry about torture and misogynistic behavior, but Amnesty completely fails to mention the delayed PC release or the new arcade vehicle mechanics. Now there's a real crime against humanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Chomiq View Post
    I understand their reason to be shocked. You can have *** with hookers, drink alcohol, get high, steal cars, murder people but once you torture someone it's bad.
    OK to kill millions of guys but kick a dog on it's ass or if ones dies accidentally and it will never pass censorship.

Somehow, I have neither found the source for the claims from the guardian, that Amnesty International nor Freedom from Torture have said anything about GTA V.

I highly doubt, that there has been such a statement from the office of AI in London (and the other offices don't really count).