Thread: Honesty pays off for homeless Boston man

Smile Honesty pays off for homeless Boston man

Donations of more than $110,000 (£67,000) have poured in from across the US for a Boston homeless man who returned a lost bag with $42,000 in it.

Glen James alerted police after he found the backpack containing cash and traveller's cheques last weekend, and the bag's owner was then tracked down.

A complete stranger later started an online fund for Mr James after reading media reports about his honesty.

The man, Ethan Whittington, now plans to meet Mr James to give him the money.
    This isn't only about rewarding a great guy. I think it's a statement to everyone in America”
    Mr Whittington, who lives in Midlothian, Virginia, said he was so overwhelmed by Mr James' honesty that he decided to start the fund.

"The fact that he's in the situation he is, being homeless, it blew my mind that he would do this,'' Mr Whittington was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.
    He said his idea of starting donations on a crowdfunding website for Mr James "caught on like wildfire ever since".

"It's brought me a lot of hope. This isn't only about rewarding a great guy. I think it's a statement to everyone in America.

"If we come together and work toward one thing and work together, then we can make it happen."

Meanwhile, Mr James, a former Boston courthouse employee, said that he would not have kept "even a penny" of the money he had found in the backpack - even if he were desperate.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24170670

I can honestly say, I'd have done exactly the same without second thought.

"And this also," said Marlow suddenly, "has been one of the dark places of the earth."

I would have too - but why would anyone need to carry 42K cash around?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    I would have too - but why would anyone need to carry 42K cash around?
    Seemingly it was from a Chinese exchange student... about 10k in cash and the rest in travellers checks... as to the why... I don't know.

As a kid I was on the way back from a family vacation by car and noticed a wallet laying in the middle of a country road. I told my dad who at first didn't wanted to believe it. I didn't gave in and we finally turned and found said wallet which was a quite big one of the type a waiter would have. It had a little more than 880,- Deutsche Mark in it. I was like "fuk yeah, that's a lot of Legos for me" but my dad just looked at me, said "No" and drove to the next village which had a police station and turned in the wallet. Later it turned out that the wallet was the one of a taxidriver who had put it on top of his car while fueling up and did forgot about it. The driver did sent us a thankful letter with 100,- DM in it (note: in Germany you can claim 10% reward of what you find) and told us that he wouldn't have known how to get over the month if it wouldn't have turned up. I could still buy quite a lot of Lego stuff with 100,- DM and got a lesson for life for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsch View Post
    As a kid I was on the way back from a family vacation by car and noticed a wallet laying in the middle of a country road. I told my dad who at first didn't wanted to believe it. I didn't gave in and we finally turned and found said wallet which was a quite big one of the type a waiter would have. It had a little more than 880,- Deutsche Mark in it. I was like "fuk yeah, that's a lot of Legos for me" but my dad just looked at me, said "No" and drove to the next village which had a police station and turned in the wallet. Later it turned out that the wallet was the one of a taxidriver who had put it on top of his car while fueling up and did forgot about it. The driver did sent us a thankful letter with 100,- DM in it (note: in Germany you can claim 10% reward of what you find) and told us that he wouldn't have known how to get over the month if it wouldn't have turned up. I could still buy quite a lot of Lego stuff with 100,- DM and got a lesson for life for free.

So you are German ja?

And you are honest, ja?

And you like ze legos too, ja?

I have quite ze collection of legos too.

Kidding aside. Good story.

If I found a pouch containing 100k with the Warren Buffets name on it. I wouldn't have returned it.

It would be in the best interest of this man if they would set up a trust fund for him. Give him a few hundred Dollars every month so he can take care of himself. A poor guy suddenly having that much money in his hand would spend it on booze.

Plus you could probably avoid having to pay off his creditors if you have a trust fund.

Senior Member Penny the Penguin's Avatar

Truly, great stuff! Well done to him and those people!