Thread: MPnet Great Flame War, was The Original Butthurt thread

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes85 View Post
    You forget that a number of those troops are wearing uniforms with no identifications marks.
    I was wondering about that. For a while I thought it was just a confusion tactic, by now I think that might be just a means to not antagonize the locals by parading around with the Russian flags. Right now they don't look like they're capturing the place for mother Russia, they're kinda just there like the landscape - quiet and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by Universals View Post
    While true, you have to keep in mind that power has already improperly changed hands in Kiev and folks in power in Kiev isn't very sympathetic with Crimea.
    Not very sympathetic is different from life-threatening. The proposed laws against russian language and such actions could have been prevented and russian speakers protected thru other means than throwing a grenade in the middle of europe.

Banned user

Referendums at under an invader's guns

Russian Soldiers on the streets

Sure lets have free election with no pressure.
    Didn't see you or any US official having problems about elections held under US guns in Afghanistan or Iraq. The election results were hailed as "free and democratic". Double standards maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dforce View Post
    Sure, then nobody could have blamed Russia with a straight face. It would have been just like the Georgia debacle.
    Even if Russia intervened after its citizens were attacked or killed, it still would have be critized anyway so they thought why bother? Hence these preveemtive measures. They didn't want to repeat the 8.8.8 scenario where it took them an entire day to respond while their peacekeepers were getting shelled. This is just my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaito View Post
    I was wondering about that. For a while I thought it was just a confusion tactic, by now I think that might be just a means to not antagonize the locals by parading around with the Russian flags. Right now they don't look like they're capturing the place for mother Russia, they're kinda just there like the landscape - quiet and polite.
    That's what I think too, try to be as subtle as possible while being lampshaded.

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

You forget that a number of those troops are wearing uniforms with no identifications marks.
    Which troops? the several hundred soldiers out and about in Crimea? Those guys are the easy ones to count...that's the easy part.

Saw this :
    The Russian envoy to the UN, Vitaliy Churkin, has refused to be drawn on whether he agrees with the OSCE observer mission, after his British counterpart Mark Lyall Grant presses him on the matter.
    Wasnt watching the live feed, is it true?

Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fork1 View Post
    No one really contests that part. The issue is the preliminary deployments of troops without imminent threats to the russian speaking people.
    But looking at the facts so far - what did this deployment actually do negatively as far as effects on the local populatuion go? Russian troops are sitting there idle looking like sad and bored (but polite) pandas from under those balaclavas, while "besieged" Ukranian troops are pretty allowed to go about their business with an exception of the stare-at-attention brigade at the gate (hope they rotate those poor souls once in a while). There is no death and destruction or even a hint at it. Everything seems calm and relaxed under this "armed aggression and occupation".

But looks like it'll be time to draw down soon anyways. Crimea already got a bigger airforce and navy from Ukranian units that switched sides than most countries. Plus several brigades worth of land units. Enough assets to protect themselves.

China threatens the U.S. with economic sanctions if they persist with their position regarding Ukraine.

China says they will demand the US to pay it's debt.

(spanish)
    http://www.larepublica.es/2014/03/ch...cto-a-ucrania/

If this is true...

Quote Originally Posted by Dforce View Post
    Ah, so you have some kind of crystal ball? You know what kind of example that will give others? "I better attack France, in ten years time Antichrist will be born"
    Meh, I distinctly remember some countries invading another because "WMDs could be ready to be launched on our cities in 45 minutes", even tho there was no logic behind such reasoning. Also at that time those countries didn't give a shyt about UN opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    But looks like it'll be time to draw down soon anyways. Crimea already got a bigger airforce and navy from Ukranian units that switched sides than most countries. Plus several brigades worth of land units. Enough assets to protect themselves.
    This is also interesting. Do we have any non-partisan sources that tells about this more in detail?

Quote Originally Posted by fork1 View Post
    Saw this :

Wasnt watching the live feed, is it true?
    Yes. It looked like he didn't have authority to discuss the subject in that forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    I truly hope so.

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

I just saw the Kyiv post guy on CNN. The guy that said he witnessed Russian Navy issue an ultimatum to Ukrainian Naval personnel. He was asked directly and I quote, "precisely what did you hear from the Russians?"
    He said he heard a voice from the Russian ship telling the Ukrainians to join them....That's all.
    I'm trying to locate the "ultimatum" buried somewhere in the Russian statement. I hope CNN uploads the video.

Too many propaganda flying about. Plenty from the Russian side as well...like claiming refugee influx from Ukraine, and lives in imminent danger etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZapB View Post
    Meh, I distinctly remember some countries invading another because "WMDs could be ready to be launched on our cities in 45 minutes", even tho there was no logic behind such reasoning. Also at that time those countries didn't give a shyt about UN opinion.
    Well, wait one minute here. I have never defended any such country, so what are you talking about? If I steal a car, does that give you the right to steal one as well?