Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The first transparent 3D-printed skull has been successfully implanted

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Default The first transparent 3D-printed skull has been successfully implanted

"Three months ago, surgeons in Holland implanted a transparent plastic skull in a woman whose skull has never stopped growing. Incredibly, the rare bone disease that was wrecking her vision and destroying her life has been been bested by a simple 3D printer. The team of surgeons, led by Dr. Bon Verweij at the University Medical Center in Utrecht, expect her new skull to to last indefinitely, opening up new vistas for cranial transformation.

The precursor to this achievement was a similar patching done last year, where 75% of a patient’s skull was replaced with a 3D-printed implant made of polyetherketoneketone (PEKK, a thermoplastic). While the cost and man-hours required to bulk-machine a skull would have been prohibitive, printing to exact specification is now routine. PEKK and its larger family of related plastics are extremely strong and temperature resistant (for sterilization), however, this new implant appears to be made from some new, and rather mysterious material."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...ully-implanted
    Last edited by C.Puffs; 03-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.

T3ngu and Zorro's Love Child Coattail Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post

So. . .how long until we see one of those body-modification imbeciles walking around with one of these?

just because you dont understand them, doesnt make them imbeciles

Quote Originally Posted by Coattail Rider View Post

Sorry but there are some things that no amount of "understanding" is going to transform into a great idea. YMMV

Sorry but there are some things that no amount of "understanding" is going to transform into a great idea. YMMV
    maybe youre just getting old?

You're the naggiest nag in human history... Jezus H. Christ...
    How can somebdoy go from posting an article depicting new and innovative ideas and achievements in medical science to ranting about what other people do to there bodies ?

and calling other people "imbeciles" to........ tssssssssss

Suspended for infractions

Well said!!!!

People.....now with optional sunroof.

Seriously, the woman had quite a bad issue and I hope it works out. It is good to see them continually find new applications for this relatively new technology.

Quote Originally Posted by nougabol View Post
    You're the naggiest nag in human history... Jezus H. Christ...
    How can somebdoy go from posting an article depicting new and innovative ideas and achievements in medical science to ranting about what other people do to there bodies ?

and calling other people "imbeciles" to........ tssssssssss
    "Ranting"? Just pointing out that there are probably people already trying to figure out how to get a glass dome so they can get attention. (And you know they are.) And why should praising a medical advancement prevent me from holding the opinion that people can be 'tards about this stuff anyway? Is acknowledging a scientific achievement suppose to forbid one from having an opinion? Curious.

"Ranting"? Just pointing out that there are probably people already trying to figure out how to get a glass dome so they can get attention. (And you know they are.) And why should praising a medical advancement prevent me from holding the opinion that people can be 'tards about this stuff anyway? Is acknowledging a scientific achievement suppose to forbid one from having an opinion? Curious.

so what? in a free society people are entitled to do to their body whatever they may desire for whatever purpose. its called morphological freedom. tatoos, punctured ears,spiky hair whatever.

also there is a long history of medical technology being adopted for lifestyle use and vice versa thats how innovation works applying new ideas to new situations.

so calling people imbeciles for not sharing your predjudices could be called just that. imbecilic

"Ranting"? Just pointing out that there are probably people already trying to figure out how to get a glass dome so they can get attention. (And you know they are.) And why should praising a medical advancement prevent me from holding the opinion that people can be 'tards about this stuff anyway?
    Those two sentences are so weird and nonsensical... I genuinely have difficulty understanding the point you are trying to make... Tell me again what you are trying to say by opening a thread in which you post an article on 3D printed medical applications and linking this to persons, or "imbeciles" as you call them, do body modifications.

How can you have an opinion on an scientific achievement ? Opinion on what ? What is there written down in the article that makes you form your "opinion" on persons who do body modifications ?
    It's a mere fact that was stated...
    How can somebody link a scientific article to their "opinion" on what other persons should or shouldn't do to their bodies ? That's ranting... Pure and simple...

Only in the thread starter's mind does something like that makes sense.

look..normally i agree with most things you post but i had to call you out on that bs

how many people in the body mod community do you know?

ever met anyone with "extreme" mods ? had a conversation with them?

do you know their motives or the reasons behind anything theyve done or do you just assume its for attention?

have an opinion all you like - just be prepared to be called on it if its one based on ignorance of facts.

and next time you see some guy with horns or scarification or a split tongue, take 30 seconds to say hello. chances are hes the most interesting person you'll meet that day

look..normally i agree with most things you post but i had to call you out on that bs

how many people in the body mod community do you know?

ever met anyone with "extreme" mods ? had a conversation with them?

do you know their motives or the reasons behind anything theyve done or do you just assume its for attention?

have an opinion all you like - just be prepared to be called on it if its one based on ignorance of facts.

and next time you see some guy with horns or scarification or a split tongue, take 30 seconds to say hello. chances are hes the most interesting person you'll meet that day
    Alright, I removed my opinion from the initial post. No, my opinion hasn't changed, but it's definitely distracted from the point of posting the article in the first place.

Pfff you're a weiner Puffs. Bod mod community are freaks. What? **** you and **** them!

Alright, I removed my opinion from the initial post. No, my opinion hasn't changed, but it's definitely distracted from the point of posting the article in the first place.
    so you still hold that opinion? your perogative..but kinda sad man

so you still hold that opinion? your perogative..but kinda sad man
    Kinda hoping your future daughter comes home with a guy with horns and a cleft tongue. I'm sure he will be an interesting guy.