Page 1 of 46 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada rancher in tense standoff with federal government

Default Nevada rancher in tense standoff with federal government

I'm amazed this wasn't posted earlier...or did I just miss it??

A turf war has erupted in rural Nevada as a longtime rancher and hundreds of his supporters battle the federal government, which has moved to seize cattle that graze on thousands of acres of public land.
    Cliven Bundy, 68, has been embroiled in a two-decade-long dustup with the federal Bureau of Land Management, which finally sent in men armed with large guns to surround Bundy's ranch in Bunkerville, west of the Arizona and Utah border, as contracted cowboys roundup the man’s 900 beef cattle during the next several days.
    The beef has built up since 1993 when Bundy, whose family has long worked the land in Clark County some 80 miles northwest of Las Vegas, refused to pay grazing fees on 600,000 acres of public land, dubbed Gold Butte, surrounding his 160-acre farm.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2yXVrlHB2
    this one pisses me off....

The government has set aside designated “First Amendment areas” around the closed public lands that are to be used by the hundreds of demonstrators who have come to support Bundy against what they say is an overreaching government.
    again with the "free speech zones"....they are getting to be like those "gun free zones"

What I don't understand is that the disputed lands were free range for almost 100 years before the BLM changed the designation. And the change in designation was because of a tortoise. I don't think the population density of 1,000 head of cattle would upset the balance for tortoises in a 1,200 square mile area. But maybe common sense does not exist here.

I was reading this on another forum, the video says more then the articles, more then once watching it I saw times if I was one of the Rangers I'd have released the dogs or used spray/baton

I don't think the population density of 1,000 head of cattle would upset the balance for tortoises in a 1,200 square mile area.
    No dog in this fight but you may be highly mistaken here

Hoots mon there's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_G View Post
    this one pisses me off....

again with the "free speech zones"....they are getting to be like those "gun free zones"
    I'm not even a Yank and it pisses me off. I've read this may have to do more with water rights and the tortoises are just a "red herring". I get a feeling your government is slowly eroding your constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by HK in AK View Post
    What I don't understand is that the disputed lands were free range for almost 100 years before the BLM changed the designation. And the change in designation was because of a tortoise. I don't think the population density of 1,000 head of cattle would upset the balance for tortoises in a 1,200 square mile area. But maybe common sense does not exist here.
    Come to think of it, about 20 years ago when I was at 29 Palms the USMC started to restrict live fire areas to preserve desert tortoise habitats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lob View Post
    I'm not even a Yank and it pisses me off. I've read this may have to do more with water rights and the tortoises are just a "red herring". I get a feeling your government is slowly eroding your constitutional rights.
    I just felt like quoting you since you are a Brit and we fought your lot hundreds of years ago to attain these very rights.

Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I just felt like quoting you since you are a Brit and we fought your lot hundreds of years ago to attain these very rights.

Have a good one.
    Ironic isn't it?

We have a bloated government that thinks we're there to serve them.

You don't have to be a yank to have it piss you off. I'm not happy about it either, and I'm no yank.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    You don't have to be a yank to have it piss you off. I'm not happy about it either, and I'm no yank.
    You lot all look the same to us. So you're all Yanks.

You lot all look the same to us. So you're all Yanks.
    Ok Mr. Welshman.

Anyway, some lawyer type explain in plain English why the government think they can do this free speech zone thing?
    Last edited by Spartan10k; 04-11-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added clarification

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

"First Amendment areas"...?

Seriously, I gotta ask you guys, as an immigrant - what in the flying **** did you guys bother having a revolution for?

I've got no sympathy for this dude. He hasn't paid grazing fees in 20 freaking years, knowing full well that he was supposed to. He's had repeated warning to either pay up, or remove his cattle, and he chose to ignore them.

Good luck to the Rancher's. This just smells like a big giant turd.

Free speech areas?! WTF does that even mean? What legal right do they have to restrict people from saying what they want outside of these areas?

Fight for your rights before you lose them. Apparently a whole bunch of Nevada militia are heading to the area, gunned up and ready to fight... this could turn ugly. Hopefully common sense prevails.