Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Soviet Space Battle Station Skif and its prototype Polus.

Default I meant Abbyy

Duh, I'm new here, not used to handles, shoulda been more careful. I mean, I want to hear what ABBYY has to say.

On the subject of the Polyus station depicted in those great photos, this was supposedly an experimental unmanned space station equipped with lasers and missile interceptors. It was launched into orbit but failed to orbit properly and reentered.

It would have fired the lasers in space at ICBMs. It was probably intended to fire at the ICBMs while they were still in boost phase (i.e. rocket firing) and therefore the laser would have to fire through the atmosphere.

It is highly doubtful the Russians could have made this thing work. Even if they did, the orbit was so low that they would have had to launch a lot of them to keep some within range at all times. Very expensive to do.

However, Polyus remains an enigma. Much about it is secret, so we do not know any details.

The rocket that launched it was the Energia which also launched the Buran. The Energia is long gone. That capability no longer exists. At least one of the shots shows the vehicle during assembly inside a large building. This was known as Site 110 at the Tyura-Tam launch facility (this was the same building where they assembled their N-1 moon rocket during the 1960s). A couple of years ago the roof of that building collapsed, destroying the Buran that flew once in space along with another Energia rocket. So that facility is destroyed, although the building next to it is still in use.

punder wrote:
    But with a Saturn-class launcher having been developed by your father's company not long ago, it seems like it could be useful to reactivate it, perhaps with funds provided by international partners.
    The Energia was launched twice, in October and November 1988. That's 16 years ago, making this an old vehicle. People have retired and tooling has been destroyed. So that's one reason.

A second reason is that the building where the Energia was assembled collapsed a few years ago, destroying an extra vehicle and a lot of spare equipment, along with much of the construction equipment. The capability to build the Energia no longer exists. It would have to be recreated.

Kind of wonder how many space fans are visiting Military photos site

Yes it is great challenge for modern Russia to restart production of many things made in Soviet Union.

Default Abbyy - Energia's Mars Mission

Abbyy,

You say that Energia corporation is making hardware for a Mars trip and that financing is difficult.

Anyway that Energia can cut a deal with the Chinese? A JV (joint venture) deal where the Chinese put up some of the money and get to send some of their astronauts on the mission might work.

Has anyone discussed this?

Kurt

Default Re: Abbyy - Energia's Mars Mission

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt9
    Abbyy,

Kurt
    I don't know. I'm not a boss. Actually i suppose this is more political question rather then economical.

I see news of this thread and the Polyus photos got posted to sci.space.history overnight (my time)...alot of the 'grey beard' space experts will be visiting I think

Quote Originally Posted by stateofequilibrium
    It would probably be safe to assume that the Russians are trying to do everything the Americans are doing, and the Americans are trying to do everything the Russians are doing.
    Such a shame that they dont just start working together.

Excellent post Abbyy, thankyou for sharing these pictures.

kurt9 wrote:
    You say that Energia corporation is making hardware for a Mars trip and that financing is difficult.

Anyway that Energia can cut a deal with the Chinese? A JV (joint venture) deal where the Chinese put up some of the money and get to send some of their astronauts on the mission might work.

Actually, he never said that it was a human Mars mission. I think he is referring to the Phobos-Soil robotic mission.

As for cutting a deal with the Chinese, it is not likely. China has a very slow and deliberate human spaceflight program, averaging only one launch about every 12-18 months. They do not want to spend the money on a fast-paced exploration program. And they are only spending the money so that they can create the spaceflight capability for themselves. They do not want to pay others to do it for them.

The Energia is a historical vehicle. It has not flown for 16 years.

Quote Originally Posted by joka
    So if it would have reached operational status, the Sovjet Union would have had a laserbeam pointing at earth from space?

What kind of laserbeam are we talking about here? "Independence day City destroyer" or.. ?
    I just re-read my post and noticed that I may have come across sarcastic, which wasen't my intention. Which is maybe why there has been no replies to my question.. .?

Anyway, I'm really curious about this "Laser space battle station". To my knowledge, even to this day humans have been unable to build a laserbeam powerful enough to be used as somesort of weapon ?? yes? no? And this space station was being developed in the 80's.. .

What was it's purpose cause it obviously couldn't have taken out cities like I speculated

joka wrote:
    Anyway, I'm really curious about this "Laser space battle station". To my knowledge, even to this day humans have been unable to build a laserbeam powerful enough to be used as somesort of weapon ?? yes? no? And this space station was being developed in the 80's.. .

What was it's purpose cause it obviously couldn't have taken out cities like I speculated
    Reread the other posts on this. I already noted that it was intended to shoot down missiles, probably in boost phase. In other words, most of the firing would have been through space and thin atmosphere. It also carried missiles.

You are right to be skeptical. I doubt that this would have worked. And keep in mind that it was only a test vehicle, not an operational one.

Suppose the Russians estimate that it will cost $6 billion. Do you think it is realistic to convince the US Congress to spend $6 billion in Russia as opposed to the United States?
    that would depend on the technology transfers going into US companies. A good argument can be made that while the up front cost of $6 billion might seem high the backend profits would be considerably more.

Joka, there most definitely lasers that can be used as weapons. Some are entering deployment stage, some have been tested. There was a lot of talk about 20 years ago about Soviet strides to develop massive lasers. Just rumours. The Soviets were paranoidly secretive.

GDS Starfury wrote:
    that would depend on the technology transfers going into US companies. A good argument can be made that while the up front cost of $6 billion might seem high the backend profits would be considerably more.
    Okay, if a "good argument can be made," make it. Explain also how this will get through without loud objections from US rocket makers Boeing and Lockheed-Martin. Also, explain how this will get through without loud objections from members of Congress. And for good measure, explain how this can be done without violating the provisions of the Iran Non-proliferation Act. Can you provide any previous examples of the United States spending billions of dollars to purchase a foreign rocket system?

DDAY

Quote Originally Posted by Abbyy
    My father was one of developers of shower and sauna for space station. Actually it was project for his graduation from institute. Leter when he came to Energia it became his job to implement both on space station. What he with developers team did for Mir space station.

So cosmonauts enjoyed not only shower but also good sauna during their missions. But one day bosses decided that sauna consumes too much energy and ordered to dismount it from station.

Cosmonauts of current mission said: no way, f***. Bosses were very angry but what can you do when thing which you want to destroy flies 300 kilometers above you. So when mission returned to earth and next team arrived to station they issued this order once again.

Next team said: umm... ok... after all experiments will be done....
    Guess what happened. In result they sabotaged order too

So when third mission were about to launch military man was included who received strict orders to dissassemble sauna at any cost And he did this job.

So in turn my father was very angry and dissapointed
    As i know, the exact history is a little different:

The Shower consumes not only too much energy, but too much water. In originaly, the Buran space shuttle make the transit route to MiR, but the Buran only fly once, and never fly to the MiR... So the needed resources for MiR are carried by the old way: the Progress space ships. But the Progress are far less capable, than the Buran-class shuttles, so, the resources are cutted down, wich means the water become luxury, and the crew can use the shower less and less time, and in the end, its never use any more, even, if the crew liked to use it. So the shower ended nothing more than a chest, filled with not needed stuf. The shower survived not only the third, but many more crews, then in 1995 the MiR needed new giroscopes for the MiR-STS rendezvous, and the Progress can carry only smaller size giros, can be used "indoor" the station, so must to find a place where the place it. The shower not used years ago, and wont needed, so cut in pieces, and stowaged to the Progress, which is brought the new giros...

PS: Sorry for my bad english.