Thread: Lets see the firearm collection.....

@ Wildcat: Indeed. You never know when one of those Nemesis stops by to eat your neighborhood

@Indiana Jones: P4L, 2. Bildebene@

@ He219: Sure, will do with the AWM. Shooting the DSR since a year or so now, so I can give you an impression of that already. But it's "just" the .308 Winchester version. Nearly no felt recoil, very smooth operation on the bolt, but not as fast comfortable as an non-bullpup design rifles. Check rest and shoulder piece adjustment is easier than on the AWM, because it doesnt require any tools. The Grip is big, but comfy, as long as you are right handed. Position of the hand rest and bipod are both adjustable.
    Its a nail driver, but I would suggest not using the rear monopod for a rest when actually shooting. It seems to add some nasty vibration, making the shots stray up to 10mm at 100 Meters from the usual group. The actual legs of the bipod are also not my favourite. They are hard metal and not rubber like on the Harris bipods. The bipod ends are just touching the ground on the inner edge - its a bit like tiptoeing. If youre going for the sub 15mm groups its capable to do, youre better off with big beanbag or shooting rest.

Suspended for infractions

Anybody here have experience, running a firing range? Friend is hell bent on making one and Im helping him conceptualize the range. So far we are looking at 4 bays, 3 bays with areound 35 meters range and 1 with 60 meters. Yes, definitly not a long range shooters wet dream, but that is the limitations of being close to the city. Anyway if some of you have tips on what to watch out for and main complaints or what would be ideal, just PM or we can start a separate thread.

Thanks,

jim

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Anyway if some of you have tips on what to watch out for and main complaints or what would be ideal, just PM or we can start a separate thread.
    If indoor, having good ventilation is probably my primary concern. We have a completely modern facility near me with electronic carriers and all sorts of high tech lighting, but the ventilation is non-existent so I rarely shoot there.

For Queen and Country Roy Batty's Avatar

Newest member of our family

Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    If indoor, having good ventilation is probably my primary concern. We have a completely modern facility near me with electronic carriers and all sorts of high tech lighting, but the ventilation is non-existent so I rarely shoot there.

Thanks for the input. It would be an outdoor range. Their old saw mill thats not being used anymore, I am also planning on adding a reloading area, since reloading here is limited to gun clubs, allegedly. I'm thinking 9mm, .45, and .223 would be a good combination of dies to begin with. A friend of mine from the Special Forces also offered on the design so that would be nice. Ill post picts once it gets going.

We are alos thinking making s mall lounge area out of old cargo containers for people to relax or briefings during a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Thanks for the input. It would be an outdoor range.
    I have been reading lately that putting in an out-door range can involve everyone within hearing distance of the range.

Tree huggers, greens, and miscellaneous A$$holes can go to your county building dept or planning board and complain of the dastardly deeds and horrendous bodily harm being perpetrated on the population by nefarious right wing gun nuts.

Be advised, go get ALL the local LEO chiefs and DA on your side,, plus heed the building codes..

You might want to offer free membership to the LEO's??

Good Luck..

My $00.0002

To quote my mentor,, Hunter Thompson, RIP...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Its_A_Strange_World.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	130443  

Quote Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
    I have been reading lately that putting in an out-door range can involve everyone within hearing distance of the range.

Tree huggers, greens, and miscellaneous A$$holes can go to your county building dept or planning board and complain of the dastardly deeds and horrendous bodily harm being perpetrated on the population by nefarious right wing gun nuts.

Be advised, go get ALL the local LEO chiefs and DA on your side,, plus heed the building codes..

You might want to offer free membership to the LEO's??

Good Luck..

My $00.0002

To quote my mentor,, Hunter Thompson, RIP...
    Though I am in the Philippines, yes we are weary of the tree huggers and even the commies. So far our plan for the local leo is reload some of their ammo for practice and maybe offer to stage a simple competition for them every once in a while. The property is private and covered by a huge cement fence all around. One side is a cemetery, the other vacant land and the other two by warehouses. So Hippies might not be such a big deal, though we are studying how to control the sound.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Ask Geezah, he helps one of our other members, Durandal, who sadly isn't around much anymore, with the range on his farm.

Basically, just make sure you have all of the right permits, have all the right people sign off on it, and get insurance.

Nice Roy.

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

Went through a similar process about ten years ago building a range for our deer conservation group here in Northern Jockistan. In The UK all ranges have to be approved by the MoD, and in many ways this is good because they will give you great advice along the way.

I'm often horrified when I see the lack of safe backdrop on so many ranges posted here, you wouldn't believe the safety margins we have to employ even in remote Highland locations, but in the long run it's worthwhile.

One of the safest ranges I ever used was one built for The Queen's guard at Balmoral Castle, it hasn't been altered since the 1880s, but it's very safe for even the heaviest calibres.

Hey everyone, look at me, I'm the only important one here...

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    Ask Geezah, he helps one of our other members, Durandal, who sadly isn't around much anymore, with the range on his farm.

Basically, just make sure you have all of the right permits, have all the right people sign off on it, and get insurance.

Nice Roy.
    Luckily for us, we have members of LE from a range of different departments that belong to our club, we also have the firearms instructor for the biggest LE department in our area that is a member which is a major plus. All steel poppers are made by one of our members and he organises the Tuesday night pistol league which involves different scenarios which makes it really fun. We have a rifle range, two pistol ranges and a jungle run/walk but it's all come together because of those involved. It's quite sad, but I seldom see Durandal anymore, unless it's at one of our get togethers, but I do have direct access to him by phone.

Going back to the LE members, this has got to be the biggest plus, as LE locally at all levels know about us and know we are good to go.

You mean this type of backdrop, DW:

Yep those are houses.

Here what we need is the Leo approval and all the guidelines are online for us to follow and ensure it passes inspection. Plus again we got an invite and an offer from the SF friend I know that designed their range so. I'll have to check that out and see what his inputs are with regards to our basic sketch.

Thanks all for the help and pointing me to the right direction on this.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

That would never fly here in the US....

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    That would never fly here in the US....

That should never fly anywhere even here. First time I attended a competition in that range I was aghast at that backdrop, and people were watching from those houses. Its a pretty huge range so I am guessing those guys have pull somewhere. Its one of the biggest ranges down south I believe. Those are the things we are trying to avoid and really pushing this one to be responsible range. Especially when we plan to offer shooting classes for kids using .22 rifles during the summer.

So in a continuing effort to be more like Hollis (I don't know if he has anything like this, ) , I've been looking at some single action army revolvers. I found a local store that had a good selection of the different brands, and my primary conclusion if that they're pretty much identical, particularly between the Ruger Vaquero and the Colt SAA. One is under $600, and the other is around $1100. I've asked around in various places and just about everyone has a Ruger because it's cheaper, but also has many safeties in place to prevent a negligent discharge, which after inspecting the Colt seems rather easy. I've narrowed it down to one chambered in .357 magnum, with a 5.5" barrel. Any leanings either way from the crowd here? Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	130458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	130459My Uberti/Rossi combo.

The Uberti is chambered in .357, and it is really well balanced.
    IMO, it feels a lot more like the original Colt SAA, compared to my dad's Vacquero .45 LC.
    The Rossi is also a .357, which of course, means it can also fire .38 Specials.

If you get one, you'll have to get a lever-action rifle in the same caliber to go with it!