Page 141 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4191131133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2218

Thread: Afghanistan - Germany's contingent (56k be gone) !!!

You don't understand. The Bundeswehr is perfectly aware of the age of this slogan. They know that such a slogan written on the helmet of one of our soldiers in Afghanistan will cause a stir, too. And yet they made a photo of this guy and upload it on their Flickr account. Why? This is just stupid. I don't know why that guy wrote this particular slogan on his helmet (I'm interested in an explaination, though). But that's not really the point, do you understand? They managed to **** up twice, first by publishing the picture, second by trying to cover it up.

Tom of Mumbai's fluffer ubermensche's Avatar
    On a beach, having a nice BBQ with Marine SEALs.

Alright, I get it. But still why will it cause a fuss? As you said, it's Prussian, nothing bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ubermensche View Post
    As you said, it's Prussian, nothing bad.
    that's not what your country told Germans after 1945.

Oh, it's Prussian, so it's nothing bad. Brilliant thinking. See the Nazi swastika? It's based on an ancient Indian symbol dating thousands of years back in time, so there's probably nothing wrong with it either. In fact one US unit used the swastika pre-WWII. They abandonded it with the war's outbreak. Why? It's just an ancient symbol, right?

It can cause a fuss because people associate that slogan with jack booted Wehrmacht thugs shooting civilians or locking them into churches and setting it on fire. No one gives a **** how many years it dates back. Prussian you say? I don't remember the Prussians started a war of aggression that involved the whole world and caused millions upon millions of killed and murdered.

You cannot be that dense, for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    Prussian you say? I don't remember the Prussians started a war of aggression that involved the whole world and caused millions upon millions of killed and murdered.
    You mean the Wars of the Austrian Succession? You couldn't possibly be so dense as to mean WWI, right?

World War II and all it stands for cannot be compared to any other war past and present. It's unique.

Nobody besides butthurt Germans connect Gott mit uns to WW2 warcrimes.

Well, apparently these butthurt Germans are enough to convince the Bundeswehr it wasn't the most brilliant idea to upload the picture in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    Prussian you say? I don't remember the Prussians started a war of aggression that involved the whole world and caused millions upon millions of killed and murdered.
    I remember the Prussians destroyed the democratic movement in Germany. And I don't get hype around Prussia overall.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sco View Post
    We, here in the forum know where it comes from. But I can't say it's professional or helpful to bring in religious symbols in a war that is fought with a lot of religious propaganda.
    I think it's always a stupid idea to bring religion to the workplace.
    Just think how Taliban are called in the press: Gotteskrieger.

Difficult issue I would say.

Well, this place is the only one I've even noticed making a fuss about it...

Pre-emptive Gehorsam in fear of the press?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
    I remember the Prussians destroyed the democratic movement in Germany. And I don't get hype around Prussia overall.
    Oh, I'm not trying to whitewash Prussia of any wrongdoing. I'm just hinting at the scale and the Nazis are taking the lead.

But I can't say it's professional or helpful to bring in religious symbols in a war that is fought with a lot of religious propaganda.
    Excellent point!

For thee butthurt is strong in Germany I guess we should have build a clown army dressed in orange with pink flowers and abandoned all tradition after WW2

Seriously, how can you keep the marching style (besides the goosestep which was abandoned, but as far as I remember in the "Reichbach" all other forms, grips and everything else the German soldier does when "representing" Germany on a Gel÷bnis or Zapfenstreich the lengh of step and so on is exactly kept)

As for the Uniforms - do I spot a certain "touch" ?

I mean how could you possibly not make a certain connection ?

Trying to alter reality by photoshopping images with the goal of making them pc is what we should be more concerned about than slogans which are not officially banned nor punishable in any Way, as the Wehrmacht was also never declared an "illegal" organisation, unlike the SS or Gestapo, which however used differend "slogans". And I can very well understand why using "Gott mit uns" is not considered appropriate ...

"Ist mir noch gar nicht aufgefallen"

Well, this place is the only one I've even noticed making a fuss about it...
    And left the biggest ****holes in this country, including our lousy capital.
    Prussia. The most stupid Swabian export.

Pre-emptive Gehorsam in fear of the press?
    There is nothing wrong to call the Taliban Gotteskrieger.
    Religion and war are a difficult issue in the public.

Quote Originally Posted by tluassa View Post
    I guess we should have build a clown army dressed in orange with pink flowers and abandoned all tradition after WW2
    Oh, it's not already? Not trying to be a ZDv 37/10 Nazi, but the appearance of the German army - compared to, let's say, other ISAF contributors - is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by tluassa View Post
    Did Germans became left-handed after WW2?