Thread: Afghanistan - Germany's contingent (56k be gone) !!!

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

You make a mountain out of a molehill. It's safe to assume no Afghan ever got the message and even if that soldier really did bump into one local who cannot only speak but also read German it could've resulted in compliments for contrary to what is widely believed many pious Muslims can appreciate religiousness in Christians.
    Moreover, it's very likely the helmet inscription was photoshopped not over religious reasons but not to make the Nazi bell ring everywhere as many people lack the historical insight we have here.

Reading these three answers of yours, it's good to know that all these religious-motivated hate speeches, crimes, murders, and attacks are just a bloody misunderstanding. I wonder when the Christians living in Pakistan's tribal belt will pop in and agree with you.

What I'm saying is that a specific group of people with guns and influence, ironically those our troops are fighting, and who happen to be a major part of the post-Afghanistan scenario couldn't give a rat's ass if Christians, Jews and Muslims pray to the same God.

Now please excuse me, I've got to visit Mecca.

I have to admit that I didnīt use the right words and I didnīt want to flame somebody personally! Sorry!
    Perhaps this sentence "Gott mit uns" on his helmet was accepted by his leading officer but it is not the official German way to present his army and aims in Afghanistan, thats the reason why it was censored on the official picture threat.
    But: This soldier has to do a job and nothing more. And this job means not, that he has to present ANY personal meanings or wishes. If he is that religious he should wear the holy bible in his rucksack and visit the church every sunday but he has not to write any religious or other patter on his uniform. That show us how unprofessional and childish he is. I am ashamed that a stupid soldier like him represents the German/NATO interests anywhere in the world.
    Afghanistan in 2013 is not as dangers as the 30 year war (which was a religious war) and the last thing he needs is god: he needs a better conception of his job for which he is very well payed.

Quote Originally Posted by wwjs View Post
    Both Christians, Jews and Muslims worship the same god so what's the problem?
    no12345678

Quote Originally Posted by MuluGulu View Post
    I have to admit that I didnīt use the right words and I didnīt want to flame somebody personally! Sorry!
    Perhaps this sentence "Gott mit uns" on his helmet was accepted by his leading officer but it is not the official German way to present his army and aims in Afghanistan, thats the reason why it was censored on the official picture threat.
    But: This soldier has to do a job and nothing more. And this job means not, that he has to present ANY personal meanings or wishes. If he is that religious he should wear the holy bible in his rucksack and visit the church every sunday but he has not to write any religious or other patter on his uniform. That show us how unprofessional and childish he is. I am ashamed that a stupid soldier like him represents the German/NATO interests anywhere in the world.
    Afghanistan in 2013 is not as dangers as the 30 year war (which was a religious war) and the last thing he needs is god: he needs a better conception of his job for which he is very well payed.
    Are you serious?? Do you know the Soldier personally?? I do. And you got absoloutely no clue of this man, how he thinks, how he works. And yet you dare insulting him, judging him. I am ashamed of you having been in this army. If it a personal thing to write this on his helmet so be it. Some of us germans definitely got their priorities wrong, if one sentence on a helmet is discussed over months and even censored. And don't you dare judging a comrade of my company again in such an impertinent way.

Tom of Mumbai's fluffer ubermensche's Avatar
    On a beach, having a nice BBQ with Marine SEALs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    I posted this picture on Feb 2, 2013 as part of a QRU series released by the Bw Flickr account:

This one was uploaded on their account just recently:

Spot the difference.
    What's so bad about "God with us"?

Besides its maybe century long history that has been pointed out before, the sentence was stamped in on the belt buckle of the Wehrmacht uniform.
    Therefore, I too am of the opinion that it was inappropriate of this soldier to write that very sentence on his helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by ubermensche View Post
    What's so bad about "God with us"?
    The Bundeswehr is basically asking for a public discussion it won't ever win. Not just for the "Gott mit uns!", but because they photoshopped the picture and than delete it altogether from their Flickr account. That kind of policy deserves every ridicule it can get. ****ing amateurs.

The Bundeswehr is basically asking for a public discussion it won't ever win. Not just for the "Gott mit uns!", but because they photoshopped the picture and than delete it altogether from their Flickr account. That kind of policy deserves every ridicule it can get. ****ing amateurs.
    Word.

They did the same with the insignia of the Afrika Korps, which was on a tank down in Afghanistan. I can understand that case, but all in all, it is wrong to ban everything of the German army culture and tradition, just only because several things were used from the Wehrmacht as well, an army that was based on Prussian traditions.

But "Gott Mit Uns" is something that came much earlier than the Nazis. Is the Bundeswehr too dumb to realize that many of the so-called "Nazi" insignias dated way much before the Nazis in terms of military tradition.

And somehow the Wachbatalion still uses K98s and wears cuffs.

You don't understand. The Bundeswehr is perfectly aware of the age of this slogan. They know that such a slogan written on the helmet of one of our soldiers in Afghanistan will cause a stir, too. And yet they made a photo of this guy and upload it on their Flickr account. Why? This is just stupid. I don't know why that guy wrote this particular slogan on his helmet (I'm interested in an explaination, though). But that's not really the point, do you understand? They managed to **** up twice, first by publishing the picture, second by trying to cover it up.

Alright, I get it. But still why will it cause a fuss? As you said, it's Prussian, nothing bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ubermensche View Post
    As you said, it's Prussian, nothing bad.
    that's not what your country told Germans after 1945.

Oh, it's Prussian, so it's nothing bad. Brilliant thinking. See the Nazi swastika? It's based on an ancient Indian symbol dating thousands of years back in time, so there's probably nothing wrong with it either. In fact one US unit used the swastika pre-WWII. They abandonded it with the war's outbreak. Why? It's just an ancient symbol, right?

It can cause a fuss because people associate that slogan with jack booted Wehrmacht thugs shooting civilians or locking them into churches and setting it on fire. No one gives a **** how many years it dates back. Prussian you say? I don't remember the Prussians started a war of aggression that involved the whole world and caused millions upon millions of killed and murdered.

You cannot be that dense, for crying out loud.

Prussian you say? I don't remember the Prussians started a war of aggression that involved the whole world and caused millions upon millions of killed and murdered.
    You mean the Wars of the Austrian Succession? You couldn't possibly be so dense as to mean WWI, right?