Page 49 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3941424344454647484950515253545556575999 ... LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan - Germany's contingent (56k be gone) !!!

A German solider inspects the damaged vehicle belonging to German International Security Assistance Force is seen near the site after a suicide attack on a NATO convey in Baghlan, Afghanistan, Sunday, Nov. 16, 2008. A suicide car bomber on Sunday struck a NATO convoy in the northern Baghlan province, killing one civilian and wounding 12 other people, officials said. Two NATO soldiers were among the wounded, said a spokesman for the force, who spoke on customary condition of anonymity.

Though, the Fuchs seemes to have held up quite good against the Bomb.
    Was there a KWS applied to the Fuchs' ?
    Last edited by CptGonzo; 11-16-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Yes, it carried Mexas armour.
    Also note the very latest update on the other Fuchs in the second picture and the SanFuchs in the 3rd picture! Good to see it in theatre, I wish we would spent more money on upgrading real APCs instead of introducing craploads of different, combat-worthless Dingos, Eagles, Duros and so on!

Well I wouldnt call the Dingo worthless, its a fine vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim292 View Post
    Yes, it carried Mexas armour.
    Also note the very latest update on the other Fuchs in the second picture and the SanFuchs in the 3rd picture! Good to see it in theatre, I wish we would spent more money on upgrading real APCs instead of introducing craploads of different, combat-worthless Dingos, Eagles, Duros and so on!
    The Dingo have a much better protected cell than every fox.

Especially against mines. We saw what happend as that Dingo drove over stacked Mines, the engine was completely blown away and everything was brunt but the hull was still intact!

I know about the better protection of the Dingo. Still, I disagree with the whole concept of Dingo/Eagle. The Duro, I agree, might be a different matter and is quite a usefull vehicle.

First of, the RCWS on all vehicles decreases situational awareness a whole lot. Nothing beats manned machine guns when it comes to sit.awareness and the possibility to quickly engage on the move!

Secondly, Dingo doesn't even offer more than one hatchet in the roof. Emergency exits, shooting out of hatchets and communication with the outside is barely possibly.

Thirdly, and most importantly is patrol setup.
    For instance:
    one force protection platoon, a Cimic team, a BAT, a bunch of WBV 'soldiers' for shopping

Now, cram all those people into 'their' vehicles..
    FP Platoon: 3squads, 2 Dingos each, 1 c2 dingo for the platoon commander
    Cimic team: 1 eagle/wolf
    BAT: 1vehicle
    WBV: another Dingo
    That's a total of 8 Dingos and 2 other vehicles, column length of well above 300meters. It's just hard to control, ineffective to lead and has a much higher chance of one vehicle breaking down and halting the column.

I always preferred small setups:
    f.e. my FP platoon in 3 Füchsen, the Wbv/comic guys and my platoon leading section in another Fuchs(no need to use a c2 version..) and the BAT in their own vehicle. It's tight, easy to control and I just have one combat ineffective vehicle in my column, the column has half the size and twice the speed.

A Fuchs offers significantly better mobility over a Dingo and it practically has the same size.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all in love with Dingos good level of protection - but not at that price.
    I rather have 10 soldiers in one less protected vehicle with way better situational awareness than 5 perfectly sheltered soldiers in 2 vehicles, slow to move and respond and totally isolated from the world outside.

Scrap the GFF, concentrate on:
    Wolf MSA, Mungos and Wiesel for airborne
    Wolf SSA, Fuchs and Fuchs with a 20-30mm BMK
    Wolf SSA, Boxer and Boxer with 30mm BMK
    That simple.

Edit: Oh, and I'm totally aware that this is never going to happen with the Bundeswehr. Props to the French with their VABs, armed VAPs and VBLs.

Thank you for your insight, seems to make sense.

Just one thing, you proposed the Mungo as a patrol vehicle like it is used now. Do you really think it is suitable for that task?

I didn't really propose the Mungo as a patrol vehicle, but you're right, my post wasn't very clear about that. Also, I'm not much of an expert concerning the Mungo, I just don't have too much experience with that vehicle.

Still, in my opinion the Mungo is a damn fine vehicle and close to perfect for what it was designed for:

Transport
    - as many fully equipped boots as possible
    - under the best protection possible
    - for up to 50km
    - after air-insertion by helo/c160.

However, as a general patrol vehicle and with special regard to it's constantly breaking axles in A'stan, it's just not suited for such kind of missions.
    But like I said in my above post, I'd still choose a few Mungos over a dozen Eagles if the terrain doesn't allow anything bigger. And as long as there's enough supplies rolling in and the mechanics are fast to fix the vehicles, I couldn't care less if I'd get a new axle every two weeks.

Nah, problem with the mungo is that the armor just goes up to chest level.
    They use the IdZ Sk4 vests for extra armor AFAIK!
    But I agree with you. Sad that the 20mm BmK Füchse never got realised.

Quote Originally Posted by CptGonzo View Post
    Nah, problem with the mungo is that the armor just goes up to chest level.
    They use the IdZ Sk4 vests for extra armor AFAIK!
    But I agree with you. Sad that the 20mm BmK Füchse never got realised.
    Seriously, a 20mm BmK is useless against the current IED threat. It only helps in possible ambushes after the explosion. Most important is to have protected Vehicles for every movement outside the Base in Afghanistan.

Sadly, there is a lack of usable vehicles for that.
    The new Eagle IV is not really smaller than a Dingo, so there will be few places that you can reach with it where you couldn't already go with a Dingo.

With the problems in finding a suitable vehicle for the GFF class 1 (less than 5.3t), the Bundeswehr is stuck with the different Wolf vehicles or the Mungo which are either mostly unprotected (Wolf MSS, MSA), unarmed (Wolf SSA) or only partially armored and ****e to break down or turn over (Mungo).
    And then, even the armed vehicles in that class don't have a 360 degree traversable gun mount, so the machine gunner can't lay suppresive fire during an ambush ... really not a great situation.

Are there any possible solutions for that?

Recent pictures as compilation

A bit off-topic.
    A few hopefully unknown pictures from DSO-Congo

On a C-130 with 75lbs of equipment between my legs

Very nice. I love the Congo video, and several of the pictures from the A-stan video were new to me.